El Paso.....Where the hell is that!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
You could always drive to Houston and go to the Flower Gardens.

No. Wait. You will actually be closer to LA than to Houston :D Gotta love Texas

Hey Ian,

Interested in hitting the lake this weekend. It wasn't pretty last weekend but at least it is close....

Let me know

L

Most of the diving close to El Paso isn't really close to El Paso! Balmorrhea is probably the closest. Santa Rosa Blue Hole is about 5.5 hours. Lake Pleasant in Arizona is about 7 hours. None of these places is anything close to SoCal diving, but it is warmer in all of them. :D

Spade:
ROFLMAO! get some lake experiences (I wonder what the surf is like :) )

Purty flat...

Spade:
Thanks for all the help guys/gals. I didn't expect this much info in just a few hours!

Here's something that many Texans find attractive: Southwest Airlines. Just got my email of sale for the week, and here's a deal from EP: "Complete packages from $191 per person* to Las Vegas From: El Paso, TX" Nooooo I don't work for SWA, I just like cheap vacations. :wink:

txdano:
Spade, there are worse places you could end up besides El Paso. Wait a minute...
nevermind. :)

Yeah, Wichita Falls, Midland, & Odessa.

shaggie:
Then you can get the coveted PADI "Lake Diver" cert! (after proper training and small fee of course)

Put Another Dollar In.

<---By then end of May, I'll be a Naui Master Diver....with no lake experience LoL.

subzero:
Spade, its not all that bad, SoCal is only 10hrs drive from El Paso :)

10 hours.....at what speed!!! I had to do the drive from Albuquerque and it took me 18 hours!
But then, I'd probably want to go East and hit up the Gulf anyway, since I've never dove it.
Warm water and 30-50 vis or Cold water and 15-20 vis.....it's a tough decision. LoL.

Foo:
SWA to Vegas

Currently, Vegas is about a 4 hour drive so we've been there enough to know that the strip isn't Vegas.....crap! I now truely realize how far away the Balmorhea is! WAIT WAIT....3 hour drive at what speed? Are Texans as crazy as Californians...I.E. 85-90mhp is standard fast lane speed?

Spade:
10 hours.....at what speed!!! I had to do the drive from Albuquerque and it took me 18 hours!

Albuquerque is pretty far north. I'm in Tucson. It takes me 12 hours to drive to Albuquerque, 4 hours to El Paso, 6 hours to San Diego.

Dive-aholic:
Albuquerque is pretty far north. I'm in Tucson. It takes me 12 hours to drive to Albuquerque, 4 hours to El Paso, 6 hours to San Diego.

Right on, I didn't really think about the North/South distance. You litterally can just shoot west on the 10 and get there. But then again, that drive for a chance at 10ft vis and 3ft surf doesn't make me smile much.....heading South seems much more fun.

Texas isn't all that bad, you can live like a king for what you pay to survive back home (I haven't lived in SoCal since '98, but it will always be home). They don't drive as fast as they do in Cali, except every jerk in a big pick-up (which is common), but slow drivers do tend to courteously move off the road instead of just clogging up traffic. Thing is, outside of town highways aren't as big as the ones in SoCal, so there's no safety in numbers and its easier to get picked off by a cop. If driving to dive is becomes a problem, you could alwasy take up mountain biking /shrug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom