Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't tell anyone to go somewhere where they feel uncomfortable. But it's not very realistic to worry about boat safety either. We just learned in the other thread that the Conception was legally allowed to cram +30 people into a bunk room without any emergency exit, smoke detectors, someone on watch and crew that wasn't trained to put out a fire... and apparently that was OK with the USCG.
I mean come on. Somebody in this thread is worried about a stray cruise missile... fired by rebels a 1000 miles away.
How many people died on Egyptian liveaboards in the last 20 years? Their boats and the Egyptian safety standards seem to be way safer than the ones in the US.

It's called reality. You brought up stray cruise missiles...
It IS realistic to worry about boat safety. Doing a lot of research to feel comfortable about your decision is key.

You don't have to die for your liveaboard vacation to be ruined. IMO, fire and passenger safety seem to be below acceptable standards in the Red Sea. Besides the recent fires and sinking of liveaboards in the Red Sea, the bad food, poor guides, poor maintenance of the boats, too many boats, lack of comfort on the boat are enough for me to not dive or travel there. Add into the mix the current war, which probably won't end soon, and it's a risk I wouldn't take. If you're a woman, your risk of harm is even higher.

To the OP: If you're not paid in full to the liveaboard company, your financial loss will be a lot less if you cancel now. Read your travel insurance policy carefully, as there may be exclusions for coverage in a war zone, civil unrest, etc., and you may not be covered once you're there. If you're considering cancelling, you're already uncomfortable, so cancel and go elsewhere.

It IS realistic to worry about boat safety. Doing a lot of research to feel comfortable about your decision is key.
I should have said 'a little silly' instead of 'realistic'. You live an a country that's probably more dangerous and has lower standards when it comes to boat safety.

How so? Why is the risk higher for a woman there?
Because women are harassed on the street and worse is much more common than in western countries. That has nothing to to with the current situation though.

Read your travel insurance policy carefully, as there may be exclusions for coverage in a war zone, civil unrest, etc., and you may not be covered once you're there.
Egypt is not in a war zone and there is not civil unrest.

Because women are harassed on the street and worse is much more common than in western countries. That has nothing to to with the current situation though.

My wife, mother in law, sister in law, other women family friends and relatives visit Egypt and even live there and no one has ever complained or even mentioned harassment at all, not even once. This is pure stereotype exaggeration nonsense.

My cousin and his wife live there. My Aunt visited there for a year and never complained about it at all or mentioned it. If it were true, they would have mentioned it first thing as it is totally unacceptable and frowned upon in our very conservative culture.

My wife, mother in law, sister in law, other women family friends and relatives visit Egypt and even live there and no one has ever complained or even mentioned harassment at all, not even once. This is pure stereotype exaggeration nonsense.

My cousin and his wife live there. My Aunt visited there for a year and never complained about it at all or mentioned it. If it were true, they would have mentioned it first thing as it is totally unacceptable and frowned upon in our very conservative culture.
C'mon dude. There is a massive issue with sexism and women's rights in the whole region, it's not only Egypt. You know that.
A friend of mine is a family law lawyer and an immigrant from a muslim country... If you told her to her face that this is 'just a stereotype and pure nonsense', she'd blow a gasket.

There is a massive issue with sexism and women's rights in the whole region, it's not only Egypt. You know that.

Are we talking about women's "harassment in the streets" specifically or about other general BS views from the west?

Are we talking about women's "harassment in the streets" specifically or about other general BS views from the west?
Dude, you know what I'm talking about. It's not BS views from the west. Harassment in the street is just the tip of the iceberg. There is not way you don't know that.

I have cancelled my December trip into Tel Aviv and down through Eliat to Dahab and then to
Sharm. Per relatives, there are unguided rocket attacks and strikes as far south as Eliat and confirmed hits in Taba (egypt) The relatives have moved up to Haifa (which has also been hit by unguided rockets). I hope that things are better next year. If I were to go, it would be to fly direct into Hurghada via London and then head south, but the world is wide and there are many great places to dive.

"The latest travel advisory for Egypt is to reconsider travel due to terrorism. Potential targets include religious sites and tourist locations. There is a particular risk in North Sinai.

Other travel advisories for Egypt include:

• Exercise increased caution: Due to the Embassy's limited ability to assist dual national U.S.-Egyptian citizens who are arrested or detained
  • Avoid the road between Bahariya and Siwa: Except for essential travel
  • Exercise a high degree of caution: When traveling to Red Sea coastal resorts and to the Upper Egypt cities of Aswan and Luxor"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom