Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't tell anyone to go somewhere where they feel uncomfortable. But it's not very realistic to worry about boat safety either. We just learned in the other thread that the Conception was legally allowed to cram +30 people into a bunk room without any emergency exit, smoke detectors, someone on watch and crew that wasn't trained to put out a fire... and apparently that was OK with the USCG.
I mean come on. Somebody in this thread is worried about a stray cruise missile... fired by rebels a 1000 miles away.
How many people died on Egyptian liveaboards in the last 20 years? Their boats and the Egyptian safety standards seem to be way safer than the ones in the US.

It's called reality. You brought up stray cruise missiles...

If you don’t understand how the risk in an area increases when there are anti air and cruise missiles flying around I can’t really help you.

If you don’t understand how the risk in an area increases when there are anti air and cruise missiles flying around I can’t really help you.
There aren't any cruise missiles going over Egypt or anywhere near the dive sites. What looks close to you on a map isn't close at all. There are also no anti air missiles flying around.
Even IF Yemen is lauching missiles, they'd be going over Saudi Arabia or along the Saudi coast line... that's not near any diving. This is literally fake news.

BTW: Very funny that you're the guy that keeps telling people not to use ad hominem arguments.

I’m sitting here wishing I had the time and money to go down to Sharm or Hurghada right now. I was thinking Jordan (Aqaba), earlier this year, but that might be pushing it a little at the moment… mainland Egypt or southern Sinai should be perfectly fine.

Jordan (Aqaba), earlier this year, but that might be pushing it a little at the moment

Actually, that's a very good place to be and dive now. It is very safe and upscale. I have friends from US who work in dive business there now. No complaints from them at all.

lol, I am reading this conversation in my hotel in Hurghada, water temp still 27deg, air temp 34. Looks to me like most of the hotels are pretty full. I am not doing lob, just diving with day boats. It is nearly as good as lob diving. Last six days I have done only a single stationary dive, all rest were drift dives. Basically you do not have to do lob if you are worried..

Well, I was going to bring up the fact that it is probably safer in Sharm or Hurghada than being a black man in Chicago or anyone going to a Walmart, church, mall, movie theatre, sleeping in your own bed, walking down the sidewalk, having a picnic, etc. here in the USofA.
Probably a quite accurate assumption.
I'd be more worried about all the fires/sinkings with Red Sea Liveaboards over the last few years
Certainly a higher risk than being hit by a missile in the Red Sea AFAIK

I'll be on a BDE liveaboard off Hurghada in three weeks and looking forward to it.

The only safety/security concern I have now versus, say, ten years ago, is I now avoid lower deck cabins and I make a point of keeping cash and passport in a dry bag at all times. Other than that, I take no special precautions beyond researching the dive op/boat I plan to book and taking out dive and travel insurance.

Now, I'm not American nor am I Jewish. If I were, I might see things differently.

No point going on a trip if you think you'll be looking over your shoulder all the time. This is supposed to be about having fun.

I just spoke to my travel guide who is taking care of my hotel and diving arrangements in Hurghada in February. I just added my 83 year old mother to the family group going there.

He also told me that there are rocket/missile/bomb laden mako sharks cruising the waters in the area waiting for the white faced blonde blue eyed devil's from America to come and to give them a generous welcome party. Let me know if you have special requests for the party.

I just spoke to my travel guide who is taking care of my hotel and diving arrangements in Hurghada in February. I just added my 83 year old mother to the family group going there.

He also told me that there are rocket/missile/bomb laden mako sharks cruising the waters in the area waiting for the white faced blonde blue eyed devil's from America to come and to give them a generous welcome party. Let me if you have special requests for the party.
My friend, I am sure there are quite a few Egyptians, Israelis, and Arabs scared sh*tless right now.
But yeah, everyone needs to take a chill and understand the space, physically, mentally, and emotionally, there really is between places.
Honduras is a pretty sketchy place to be right now (even if you're Honduran) but Roatan is one of the board's faves, right?

My friend, I am sure there are quite a few Egyptians and Arabs scared sh*tless right now.
But yeah, everyone needs to take a chill and understand the space, physically, mentally, and emotionally, there really is between places.
Honduras is a pretty sketchy place to be right now (even if you're Honduran) but Roatan is one of the board's faves, right?

I have been to Roatan in the 90's and had to spend a night in San Pedro Sula. It was FAR worse than anywhere in the Middle East. People in the West have no idea how big and diverse the Middle East is at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom