Educational chamber rides

Have you ever taken a ride in chamber for educational (not treatment) purposes only?

• Yes

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 72.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I remember seeing another thread about this but I think it’s worth bringing the topic up again now that the issue is discussed buried inside another marathon thread. I had not realized how valuable an experience taking a chamber ride could be because, honestly, I had no idea how accessible it is to get divers in chamber ‘for fun’. I would like to hear more personal experiences from people who have done it. What happened, what did you learn? What did it cost? Was it worth it?

Never mind the poll, it’s just there to attract attention :wink: I did not bother to distinguish whether certain kinds of divers have done it or not. It’s probably related to accessibility and opportunity a lot too.

We do them all the time- link in my sig.

Some of us do it for training too.

The tech let me inside the chamber closed the door so I could have an idea of what it would be like when I was at Fantasy Island, Roatan as they have there own chamber and Dr to run it if the need should ever arise.

So anyone who work at the chambers - what's the most common occurrence with group of divers who come for rides? Any state of mind that gets expressed first getting exacerbated? Giggles? Bossiness? Or just plain sluggishness? Totally dependent on the group or any generalities?

Thanks for the link, TC. I didn't know people do chamber rides for training/education purposes.

Does it count as a dive in your log book? I'm thinking NOT :)

Does it count as a dive in your log book? I'm thinking NOT :)

If I went down to 165ft, sweated in a chamber for an hour, possibly totally embarrassed myself in front of dozen people, I would certainly log it and even give the dive a number so it counts for the total dives made :D

TC:
We do them all the time- link in my sig.

Do you do them for groups, individuals, or what? How do you set one up and what kind of cost are we looking at? I'd be very interested....I've wanted to go on a chamber ride for my own curiosity. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you don't want to respond to a public thread. Thanks! :D

For groups.

You need to have a medical release signed by a doc and fill out a standard liability release. Cost is $20.

Here's the info- Volunteer Crew Information

If you have your own boat it's easy to get over to Two Harbors, if you need to use the express then summer is the only time they have more than one boat a day- the rest of the year you would have to spend the night at the banning house or the campground.

Back
Top Bottom