Education resources...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Received my AOW and Rescue diver cert in 1988.

I have done very little diving since. I am going to a refresher in the near future. In the meantime, where can I obtain the most up to date supporting academic material?
I really want to review any/all pertinent material(OW, AOW, and Rescue Diver).
I called PADI, they said to purchase the e-learning material for refresher. I would prefer to review ALL material if possible.
My print books are long gone.

Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

Regards,
 Chris

I called PADI, they said to purchase the e-learning material for refresher. I would prefer to review ALL material if possible.

Do what PADI told you. If you want better more comprehensive material, buy the NAUI eLearning material. It will include the textbook in PDF format in addition to the online training.

My advice would be to buy new books instead of PADI elearning material.
There have not been that many changes to basic and advanced diving that a book cannot help you refresh your knowledge.
It is probably way cheaper and better.

My advice would be to buy new books instead of PADI elearning material.
There have not been that many changes to basic and advanced diving that a book cannot help you refresh your knowledge.
It is probably way cheaper and better.

The eLearning will have tests/quizzes and illustration that evaluate your comprehension of the material read. People will read books but many times they don't comprehend the material presented. The eLearning will have tests/quizzes to evaluate your comprehension of the material. At least the NAUI eLearning does, and does it very well.

If you just want a basic book that covers a lot, the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, by Alex Brylske, is still pretty good, despite its age (1988). You can get it from various sources for about $10.

PADI hasn't updated their encyclopedia or is there different versions of it?
If you look carefully at what I wrote, you will see that it is indeed dated, having been written by Alex Brylske in 1988. For recreational diving through the Rescue Diver level, I am having trouble coming up with many major changes in thinking since then. It might be interesting to ask Alex what he believes would be the most significant areas that need updating. I just may do that.

It might also be interesting in a thread like this for people to identify the significant changes in that level of diving since then.

If you look carefully at what I wrote, you will see that it is indeed dated, having been written by Alex Brylske in 1988. For recreational diving through the Rescue Diver level, I am having trouble coming up with many major changes in thinking since then. It might be interesting to ask Alex what he believes would be the most significant areas that need updating. I just may do that.

It might also be interesting in a thread like this for people to identify the significant changes in that level of diving since then.

I am just checking to see if what you posted is the most up to date version or if there has been new versions since that edition came out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom