Where in APAC to do Rescue Course…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am now mentally prepped to do the EFR + PADI Rescue Course (I guess throw in a DAN O2 course as well in the mix?) in keeping with my new resolution to do at least new scuba course every year. Looking for a recommendation for a dive shop and instructor anywhere in APAC region in the countries - MY, ID, TH, or PH. Tentative ETA April-May 2023.

In keeping with the oft repeated advice here on this forum, please re-read the subject line as - “Looking for an Instructor recommendation…”

Also I hate studying after sundown when on a vacation so is it possible to obtain electronic learning material from PADI or hard copy separately in advance but offset the total cost paid to the dive shop for the course? Or is the PADI rescue course fee always over and above the e-learning or hard copy material? (Alternatively I could borrow material from somebody - but does the cert card fee include the course material)?

Thanks (in advance) for your inputs and recommendations.

PS: I assume using a BP/W is all right when doing PADI Rescue? I’ve only seen students donning jacket BCDs with this course the few times I witnessed a course in-progress…

Have you considered RAID Master Rescue course? Your instructor would more likely be familiar with BP/W setup. Their e-learning materials are all free online, you can check it out to decide. There are many very good RAID centers in PH (Anilao, Dauin extended areas, etc), ID (Bali), and TH (Koh Tao, Phuket/Khao Lak). You'll only have to pay instructor/dive op fees, no e-learning fee, it's completely free. Even if you don't end up getting certified through RAID it doesn't hurt to supplement your training with their materials, which I happen to think is among the very best training curriculums in the industry.

The BP/W isn't a problem in the rescue course, except when it is. It won't be a problem for you, and in real life, your buddy would probably just cut your webbing to remove you.

It will likely be a problem for your buddy during training, but you can make it easy on them with the addition of sliders. Sliders allow easy adjustment of the length of your shoulder straps.

PADI's rescue course is pretty good. It's mostly a course performed at the surface, and it's generally considered to be one of their best courses. When I teach it for SDI, I use the PADI model for most of the basics of the course.

I'd say one of your biggest considerations is class size. Rescue is a better course if there are at least two students. 3 or 4 would be preferable. It is really a fun course, but it is more fun for students when there are others in the class.

As for your eLearning, you can get it either yourself or from the shop you are using (I'd take this route, it may be cheaper for you).

As far as instructors go, Andy Davis from Scuba Tech Philippines would be my go-to in Asia.

As far as instructors go, Andy Davis from Scuba Tech Philippines would be my go-to in Asia.
I love my TDI Tech SM Instructor in the Philippines but I've been having FOMO about not taking SM with Andy Davis xD he's RAID now too, he's written about why he switched to RAID on his website.

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I have a past experience with the recommended individual from a non-formal training session and I was not pleased at all about the wasted time and money spent.

RAID is an option yes but I see a lot of recommendations about PADI Rescue elsewhere as well so I am more inclined towards it. I do have the RAID course material downloaded and will decide depending on the instructor(s) I short list.

I had some tentative email exchanges with a dive shop that quoted 2 days for the course (if I did e-learning and passed the quizzes prior) whereas others seem to indicate up to 5 days so I am not sure if should actively hunt for an instructor that insists on more days for the course or go ahead with just e-learning option. Thing is I loathe any study time on vacation days - I like to be free and roam around in the evenings… it’s a vacation after all.

About 2 vs 4/5 days - Your thoughts?

Two days seems a little fast. And by a little, I mean a waste of time. You could probably get all the training crammed into that time and still meet standards. If you're taking a PADI course, there's not a lot of studying outside of eLearning that's mandatory.

I'd ask the instructors you are talking to about what's required. If you take my course, there are a few hours of videos and accident analysis that go into the course, above and beyond what's required... it's really going to be up to the instructor/shop/you to determine what is going into the course.

RAID is an option yes but I see a lot of recommendations about PADI Rescue elsewhere as well so I am more inclined towards it. I do have the RAID course material downloaded and will decide depending on the instructor(s) I short list.
Excellent plan.
Also PADI is usually recommended because they dominate the market and many people don't know other agencies exist. Doesn't mean they're all bad but doesn't mean their program is superior to lesser known agencies. You can ask the people recommending PADI to give you a point by point comparison with other agencies' Rescue programs to prove PADI Rescue is actually better.

I had some tentative email exchanges with a dive shop that quoted 2 days for the course (if I did e-learning and passed the quizzes prior) whereas others seem to indicate up to 5 days so I am not sure if should actively hunt for an instructor that insists on more days for the course or go ahead with just e-learning option. Thing is I loathe any study time on vacation days - I like to be free and roam around in the evenings… it’s a vacation after all.

About 2 vs 4/5 days - Your thoughts?
Run far, far away from the 2 day courses. Minimum 4 days even with all e learning and quizzes and exams done prior, but you should already be a confident diver. I would budget 5 days just to be sure. Your evenings will be free (though likely quite tired!)

I think my PADI rescue course was over five or six dives. Would dive with the instructor taking various OW / AOW classes along with one or two of his DMs at the time, and something would always happen, even during the SI one of the DMs would be 100m offshore yelling for help 🤣

If you're heading to Bali check out Prana Diving who are a RAID facility and contact @ScubaWithTurk on the forum.

The BP/W isn't a problem in the rescue course, except when it is. It won't be a problem for you, and in real life, your buddy would probably just cut your webbing to remove you.

It will likely be a problem for your buddy during training, but you can make it easy on them with the addition of sliders. Sliders allow easy adjustment of the length of your shoulder straps.

PADI's rescue course is pretty good. It's mostly a course performed at the surface, and it's generally considered to be one of their best courses. When I teach it for SDI, I use the PADI model for most of the basics of the course.

I'd say one of your biggest considerations is class size. Rescue is a better course if there are at least two students. 3 or 4 would be preferable. It is really a fun course, but it is more fun for students when there are others in the class.

As for your eLearning, you can get it either yourself or from the shop you are using (I'd take this route, it may be cheaper for you).

I briefly looked at sliders earlier (a metal version) but didn’t get around to actually buying one - my BP/W is an XDeep Zen, and it weaves the shoulder section thrice through as many slots before emerging at the waist - will sliders work for this configuration? Currently I have to push the harness from one side to loosen it before pulling on the the now loosened extra looped bit hovering in the air - on a slot by slot basis. One can’t just pull at one end and make it slide. So I am unsure if sliders will work for this model. Or will it work if I use two sliders between the three slots on either (or both) side(s)?

Thank you for the vote of confidence is PADI and yes I read many such opinions that’s why I want to do it. In the class I hope there will be a mix of jacket style BCD users as well as BP/W so I can get some practice with dealing with both in the water for an unconscious diver scenario. So yes I plan to work on the exact dates only when notified by an instructor about a batch enrollment.

I will be in Bali in April 2023, happy to help out. @ScubaWithTurk is there year round and I can vouch for his training standards as well. Also happy any time to talk through the different agency options/issues.

Whatever you do you wont regret taking Rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom