Ebay regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colsonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I bought a Zeagle tech 50-D for dirt cheap on Ebay, it is used, about four years old, but has zero signs of wear to the first of second stage. It was from a dive shop in Texas, and they said it would serviced by a Zeagle technician to be as new as factory, with up to 40% nitrox. I'm what you would call anal when it comes to gear and my safety, so I am going to bite the bullet and just get it serviced again, simply because I bought it on Ebay, but how many of you in my case would take their word for it, given the condition of the reg. and the dive shops reputation?

I would consider what they are saying, and test and inspect it. If it seemed OK I would dive it - conservatively at first.

Rather than asking a shop to service it, ask them how much to inspect and adjust if necessary.

colsonn:
and they said it would serviced by a Zeagle technician to be as new as factory, with up to 40% nitrox.

Call and talk to them... You can even ask for a receipt.

It's not what the outside looks like, but rather what does it look like inside.

I always fill out a long detailed report when I rebuild a regulator as well as return the parts that were replaced and document the IP and Cracking pressure before and after service. Ask for any paperwork/reports from the service. If they are a dive shop they should be able to provide this with no problem.

colsonn:
So I bought a Zeagle tech 50-D for dirt cheap on Ebay,

I'm what you would call anal when it comes to gear and my safety

Something about those two statements together just doesnt seem right.... I think the exact quote is "Oxymoron"

It's probably OK, but there's also the chance that it was used in salt water and left to dry in the garage for a couple of years.

I'd have it checked.

Terry

colsonn:
So I bought a Zeagle tech 50-D for dirt cheap on Ebay, it is used, about four years old, but has zero signs of wear to the first of second stage. It was from a dive shop in Texas, and they said it would serviced by a Zeagle technician to be as new as factory, with up to 40% nitrox. I'm what you would call anal when it comes to gear and my safety, so I am going to bite the bullet and just get it serviced again, simply because I bought it on Ebay, but how many of you in my case would take their word for it, given the condition of the reg. and the dive shops reputation?

Nice observation......... I have to agree!!!

But then he is wearing a Ranger's t-shirt so I can over look it this time.

cbsaw:
Something about those two statements together just doesnt seem right.... I think the exact quote is "Oxymoron"

cbsaw:

What does price or where someone makes a purchase have to do with caring about the maintenance of the gear? RU suggesting that somehow a used 50-D is somehow OK if purchased from someone locally, or at an LDS, but just BAD if purchased on Ebay?

Ohhh, I get it, the brainwashed masses... Online BAD... LDS.. Good.... Online... Dangerous... LDS... Safe...

Chant along shall we? :D

RonFrank:
What does price or where someone makes a purchase have to do with caring about the maintenance of the gear? RU suggesting that somehow a used 50-D is somehow OK if purchased from someone locally, or at an LDS, but just BAD if purchased on Ebay?

Ohhh, I get it, the brainwashed masses... Online BAD... LDS.. Good.... Online... Dangerous... LDS... Safe...

Chant along shall we? :D

Youve got it all wrong... i will be the first one to jump up on my gigantic soap box and preach about Satan inside an LDS.. I buy almost everytnig online, and probally always will..

I dont think you understand "buying online" NEW versus "buying EBAY" USED.. who knows where that reg (LIFE SUPPORT) has been or how it's been .. sorry just dont think someone that is "ANAL" about his safety would be buying used life support equipment from an unknown source.. but do what you want.. my buddies and I have knowledge of the life of our life support..

HEY!! HEY!!! I'm OOA...... Sorry cant help you, my ebay Reg just failed...

Please help me out here... I dont get it....

I'd get it serviced, personally. Just seems like a good idea, and you already saved some cash on it.

I don't think it's a bad idea to buy used regs or to try to save money on gear. I don't think that reflects a lack of concern for safety, as some would imply.

Just get it serviced or at least inspected by a reputable dive shop and you've covered your bases IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom