Ebay regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchase and re-sell quite a bit of gear myself from ebay....always as you mentioned (Safety First), send it out.

Peace

I buy regulators on ebay: old USD Conshelf XIV metal regulators (a simple, durable, commercial quality regulator), and I service them myself. The ones I purchase run the full range of quality: bad enough to insist I get my money back or I'll leave negative feedback to "new in box" in mint condition. I bought my first conshelf in 81' or so (can't exactly remember), and I now own 8 counting one I won't dive with. I have never had a regulator failure with my Conshelfs, and I have seen numerous rental regulator failures, although I have never seen a new regulator fail.

I try not to think in absolutes: getting a regulator on ebay is not quaranteed to be better or worse than getting one at the LDS. New regulators can fail, as can old regulators. They can all be examined, and if you don't do the work yourself, you are stuck trusting someone whether it is new or used, bought locally or over the internet.

I recommend having the regulators examined by someone you trust, whoever that might be (including, possibly, the ebay seller if your are comfortable with their legitamacy).

veggiedog:
I buy regulators on ebay: old USD Conshelf XIV metal regulators (a simple, durable, commercial quality regulator), and I service them myself. The ones I purchase run the full range of quality: bad enough to insist I get my money back or I'll leave negative feedback to "new in box" in mint condition. I bought my first conshelf in 81' or so (can't exactly remember), and I now own 8 counting one I won't dive with. I have never had a regulator failure with my Conshelfs, and I have seen numerous rental regulator failures, although I have never seen a new regulator fail.

I'm in the same boat. I buy Conshelf XIV series regs off of ebay all the time(I once got two XIVs for less than 40 bucks). And I service them myself. Never had a problem. I clean them well, and follow the factory manual in the rebuild process. They are bulletproof regs. I would trust an ebay Conshelf completely, provided that it was at least examined by myself or a tech, and holds the proper IP. The only reg I dive with as-is is a Conshelf XI that I use for testing other equipment in the pool. It holds an IP without creep or adjustment, so I will continue to use it for pool work until it develops a problem or I get bored and rebuild it.

colsonn:
So I bought a Zeagle tech 50-D for dirt cheap on Ebay, it is used, about four years old, but has zero signs of wear to the first of second stage. It was from a dive shop in Texas, and they said it would serviced by a Zeagle technician to be as new as factory, with up to 40% nitrox. I'm what you would call anal when it comes to gear and my safety, so I am going to bite the bullet and just get it serviced again, simply because I bought it on Ebay, but how many of you in my case would take their word for it, given the condition of the reg. and the dive shops reputation?

If you purchased it from a PDC who sold it on ebay but said it was recently serviced and you know the name of the PDC then it's probably good to go. Any PDC who sells equipment or services equipment is required to keep service records. Unless the shop is a real schpooze it should be fine.

If you really want to ensure that its up to snuff bring it to your local PDC and ask them to bench test it to make sure its all in good working order. It should take all of ten minutes to look it over and run an IP check on it. If he charges you great. If he doesn't make sure you thank him and come back and buy some other stuff.

Cheers

Don Janni:
Ron:

If someone's "anal" about safety doesn't it seem a bit contradictary for them to buy the piece of equipment they're going to breath from from and unknown person on e-bay for a dirt cheap price???? What's anal about that?

Don

He purchased a four year old regulator from an LDS who indicated that it has just been serviced.

Had he purchased a Kmart max-i-dive regulator for $5 maybe I'd agree. No, he purchased a quality Zeagle product from a Dive Shop, and we really don't know what Dirt Cheap is even if the price is inmaterial.

Anal is taking a reg in for service that has been serviced in the past month, and that sounds like exactly what he may end up doing.

Thank you RonFrank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom