eBags Motherlode Jr.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GHDave

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been traveling with an eBag Motherlode eTech Jr. (the board won't let me post the url, but just Google the phrase, or go to ebags.com & search) for almost 5 years. This has included dive trips, bare-boat charters, ski trips, lots of travel. This bag is great! It is divided into an upper and lower section, and a BC/Fins/mask/wetsuit/booties/mesh bag and even a reg can all fit in the lower section, leaving the upper for clothes, etc. The bag rolls very nicely and weighs just over 10 lb. There are various pockets, mesh compartments & spaces to keep stuff organized. If there are space constraints, the upper part can fold down inside the lower part for storage (and that is the way it arrives new).

Recently a couple of the lock rings broke off the zipper slides, and one zipper pull came off and got lost (thank you airlines). Well, eBags guarantees them forever, so I called them up. They said "We really can't fix that, we'll send you a new bag. Discard the old one, or donate it if it's still useful." This was an almost 5 year old bag! The replacement arrived yesterday, and my daughter inherits a still usable bag.

I highly recommend the bag (for both dive and other travel) and the company behind it.

Just the bag I have been looking for. I found a High Sierra bag cheaper but it is over 6# heavier, and I always seem to push the 50# limit. Also I found that if you purchase this bag through amazon.com you can get bag for 135.99 , and still get free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Mother-Junior-Wheeled-Duffel/dp/B0009KBWC6

Last edited:
If you purchase through the Bing shopping link you get the price at $135.99 + 20% cashback too!

Go to http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stores.aspx?scope=cashback&FORM=R5FD1
Click on E in the Alphabetical links section
Then click on E-Bags
Search for "Mother lode" to see all the options.

Note that there is a 29" version that is 12lbs if you need more space.

Has anyone owned one of these e-bags duffels and also owned an Akona one? I was looking at the Akona <10lb bag but now I'm a bit tempted by this option.

wdsturtz - Have you noticed any issues with the material stretching/tearing or the zippers having issues? I did see a few posts on the Akona mentioning something about that.

@Sendero: I have not seen any material stretching or tearing, nor any problems with the zippers, except those mentioned: The little lock rings broke off the sliders and one zipper pull came off, and for that they gave me a new bag! The rest of the bag is a bit worn after 5 years of use, but still quite servicable.

Also, I just noticed that the lock rings (the little rings on the slides to enable one to put a TSA lock between two slides to lock the compartment) have been redesigned--there is now a single thicker ring instead of two and it is cast to be an integral part of the slide, so it is much sturdier.

Though I am repeating myself, I highly recommend this bag, for non-dive and dive travel. I don't work for or own stock in the company - just a satisfied customer!

I am aware of the 29" bag. I think it might be fine for land travel but for any air travel with dive gear I personally find that I'm most always up against a weight constraint before a space constraint.

Last edited:
Though I am repeating myself, I highly recommend this bag, for non-dive and dive travel. I don't work for or own stock in the company - just a satisfied customer!

Do you know if it is possible to buy these bags in europe/great brittain? I I buy from eBags a lot of tax will be added :(

@mth: I don't know anything about European sources. I did enjoy my short visit to Denmark!

Thanks for starting the thread, wdsturtz. I considered the Motherlode Jr. but passed on it because I didn't think it would fit my fins. Just curious, what fins are you packing?

Back
Top Bottom