Ear infection ... update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I am doing a follow up on my original thread dated July 30th, about my reoccuring ear infection problem ...

To DocVikingo, tracydr, Hank49, DandyDon and everybody who suggested from Ear Beer, to PramOtic Ear Drops and Auro-Dry as a preventive solution, here's my update.

I went to my local drugstore to get one of the items you suggested.

I found the item Auro-Dry and started to read the indications on the label, and I understood that this medication is mostly to clean the ear canal of excess wax, and relieve ear pain. Not a preventive item !!!

I did not find the item named ParmOtic Ear Drops on the shelf, so I enquired to the pharmacist. He did not know that particular brand .... could not be available in Canada ???

I explained my problem to him about getting something to prevent future ear infections, and he suggested the item named buro-sol .

It contains 0,5% aluminium acetate, 0,03% benzethonium chloride, and is alcohol free.

Is is made by a canadian company name Stiefel Canada Inc, based here in Montréal. Here's the link for that company's product ..Dermatology products: Stiefel Canada

I haven't tested the product so far, but I am leaving for the Carribean on October 20th for a 1 week dive vacation and I am bringing with me the buro-sol and an ear pump. I will use the drops before diving and clean my ears with fresh water after diving.

When I get back, I will let you know if this product prevented possible ear infection, and will hopefully have nice pictures to show you all ....

I found the item Auro-Dry and started to read the indications on the label, and I understood that this medication is mostly to clean the ear canal of excess wax, and relieve ear pain. Not a preventive item !!!
I'm confused. Could be a different product by that name up there, but it's an ear drying product as the name suggests. I don't think it'd help with excess wax?

I have no idea about the product you're taking? The homemade solution of vinegar, alcohol and sterile water costs pennies for a months supply and works so well, I'll stick to it, but let us know how you do.

I agree with DandyDon on the home made remedy. When I started diving last year, I was getting ear infections just about every time I dove (except in the pools). I read many of the threads on SB and decided to try the 50/50 mix of alcohol and white vinegar. As long as I use the solution within a few hours of being finished diving for the day (minimum of 5 minutes per ear), I no longer get the infections. I did recently start adding a little glycerin to the mix, because I thought the mix was drying my ears too much. This has also helped my ears to get back to normal right away.

I'm confused. Could be a different product by that name up there, but it's an ear drying product as the name suggests. I don't think it'd help with excess wax?

I have no idea about the product you're taking? The homemade solution of vinegar, alcohol and sterile water costs pennies for a months supply and works so well, I'll stick to it, but let us know how you do.

Hey DandyDon,

Maybe I read the label too fast !!! Did a search on the product ... here's what I found.

Auro-Dri Ear Water-Drying Aid - 1oz - Eye & Ear care

TITLE: Auro-Dri Ear Water-Drying Aid - 1oz

Dries and relieves water-clogged ears due to swimming, diving, surfing, showering. Water-clogged ears can occur when water remains in the ear following swimming, diving, surfing, or showering. Auro-Dri is recommended to dry up excess water and make the user more comfortable.

Please see Manufacturer's Directions for Use Instructions *

Helps relieve the discomfort of water-clogged ears by drying excess water.

On the box of the product I bought, it is written ( and I quote )

" Prevents swimmer's ear "​

What do the others think ??

Yeah, I started with that, contains Isopropyl Alcohol, 95% Anhydrous Glycerin. Now I refill the same bottles myself, as that mix lacks the vinegar. Don't know why you thot it was for ear wax? You can make it yourself with alcohol and glycerin, but I like vinegar, too.

Be sure to read the instructions. When the Navy resolved the ear infection problem they discovered it was imperative that you lay on a side, flood the ear and let it stand for a full 5 minutes. Roll over and repeat.

Just squirting a drop in each ear is probably just a feel good exercise.

What I have learned and what has worked for me.

Pete

Another solution you might want to try is the Pro Ear 2000 mask. I always got ear infections after being in the water (even after just swimming laps). I used the homemade solution before and after every dive and found it beneficial, but if I was doing a lot of diving, it dried my ears out too much. I found that with the Pro Ear 2000 I not only have to not use anything to put in my ears, but I can equalize a lot easier, and I have no mask "squeeze" issues since I can control the amount of air I put into the mask. You can find this mask on the internet for all kinds of prices from $48.88 -up to $69.00. Same mask, so shop around and bargain.

Good luck. I know I enjoy diving a lot more these days :)

Hi spectrum,

The article you posted, "Caring for Your Ears," has few problems. For example:

1. "Swimmers ear is a bacterial growth in the outer ear."

About 10% of cases are fungal, not bacterial in nature. On rare occasion, such infections can even be caused by microorganisms which are neither.

2. "Swimmers ear was a huge problem for Navy divers taking many out of service at a time. They began to use Otic Domeboro with good results. Otic Domeboro happens to be a prescription item so it's a bit of a hassle."

This was somewhat expensive prescription preparation that the U.S. Navy used to recommend for its divers. However, the Bayer Corporation, the original manufacturer, ceased production of Otic Domeboro in December 2000.

Diver's with concerns about swimmer's ear are referred to DAN's "Alert Diver" magazine's latest article on the topic:

Preventing Swimmer's Ear
Doc Vikingo's Preventing Swimmer's Ear

You are quite correct about the "5 minute rule" and thanks for the reminder.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi shark-tamer,

DandyDon is quite correct. Auro-Dri and similar products are designed to dry the external auditory canal, not remove excess ear wax.

These are quite different than products designed to remove ear wax, which include Debrox (GlaxoSmithKline - Debrox®) and Murine EAR Carbamide Peroxide Ear Wax Removal Aid (Amazon.com: Murine EAR Carbamide Peroxide Ear Wax Removal Aid, Drops, 0.5 fl oz (15 ml) (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care).

BTW, "ParmOtic Ear Drops" is correctly spelled as "PramOtic Ear Drops" (Hawthorn Pharmaceuticals - PramOtic Drops). It is a different product than either ear drying or ear wax removing solutions. It is designed to treat already existing bacterial and fungal infections of the ear and contains both an antibiotic and a topical anesthetic to reduce itching and pain.

The product you intend to use, BURO-SOL Otic Solution (Dermatology products: Stiefel Canada), is designed to prevent swimmer's ear and treat otitis externa (swimmer's ear). It seems likely that used as directed it can be of help with recurring outer ear infections associated with scuba.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo,

Thanks for clarification on those details. They are reflected in an update made a moment ago.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom