Ear infection ... update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A brief comment to SparticleBrane about the Pro Ear mask. You are certainly correct in your observation that the mask could be dislodged resulting in a wet ear. However, the ear problems discussed in this thread are the result of repeated, prolonged exposure to water. Not a single incident of getting an ear wet.

This is also a good caution. If your eardrum is not intact, then the Pro Ear mask cannot guarantee protection.

I've gone the alcohol/vinegar route, and it dried my ears out too much (and burns like hell when you have an infection that hasn't notified you via any pain yet). My ENT advised me not to put anything in my ears that he hasn't prescribed because he's sent three children to college already due to people trying to cure their own ear problems. I would rather use a $49.00 mask that keeps my ears dry and healthy than not being able to dive because of recurrent infections. It's not just keeping the ears dry that's at stake.....it's keeping bacteria out that makes a home in my attractive ears that's the problem, and which the mask provides protection (a prophylactic, if you will). I'm happy with my mask and have no intention of messing with mixtures that have not benefited me in the past. I'm glad they work for the majority of people and would in no way try to talk them out of using it.......they just don't work for me.

How does it work when wearing a hood? Have you tried? Luck? I'm thinking there would be a significant increase in water flow in the hood due to the gap.

I had an ear problem several months ago. Read my posts.

My ENT said to NEVER use alcohol because of it's drying effects. Bottom line: She said to use Domeboro-Otic (Burroughs solution) after diving each day. Haven't had any problems since.

Good luck,

Sy

How does it work when wearing a hood? Have you tried? Luck? I'm thinking there would be a significant increase in water flow in the hood due to the gap.

I had an ear problem several months ago. Read my posts.

My ENT said to NEVER use alcohol because of it's drying effects. Bottom line: She said to use Domeboro-Otic (Burroughs solution) after diving each day. Haven't had any problems since.

Good luck,

Sy

I was asking how her mask worked with a hood, not the solution. I realize the solution is used after the dive.....been using it for years.

I have a hood that has holes in the ear area that accommodate the mask. It's one I bought that was made specifically for this type of mask, but it can easily be made out of a regular hood just by cutting the holes.

You're right about the gap if the holes weren't there.

I bought the Pro Ear Mask hood and modified a regular hood. The Pro Ear Hood has two layers. An inner hood layer has holes over the ears. An outer layer goes over everything. The design struck me as complex and I haven't used it yet.

On the modified hood, I made the ear holes slightly smaller than the edges of the outer earcups. After donning the mask, I pull the hood's earhole edges over skirt of each earcup. It really seals off well against your head and will help hold the earcups in place if you get bumped. Remember the earcups act as insulators. In fact, you are equalizing the earcps with exhaled, warm air. This keeps your ears and the sides of your head warmer.

Only downside is you look really goofy with your ears sticking out of cutdown hood. You will attract the attention of your DM.

Happy New Year!

Hi everyone;

It's true, Doc's proplugs helps prevent otitis, exostosis, and ruptured eardrums. In addition they also do help equalize more efficiently. That's pretty much the gist of it. I wanted to share these files with you that we just received from our people in Italy. I am too excited to speak/type right now, so I'll just post them...

vid: www.proplugs.com/media/plugsinaction.mpg
document: www.proplugs.com/media/SIMSICongress2006.doc

Cheers;

Hi there,

I'm suffering from chronic otitis externa and I have to keep my ear canal dry at all times. Pro Ear mask sounds just what I need. I have couple of general questions about Pro Ear mask.

I'm diving always with dry suit, because I live in cold Finland. Is it possible to dive with Pro Ear mask and dry suit? I'm using Pursuit X3 with integrated hood.

PURSUIT_X3.png

I have ordered Docs Proplugs too. Have you been diving with Proplugs and Pro Ear mask?

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom