Ear infection ... update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While you might be getting bacteria into your ear with the water, the more normal problem is that having a wet ear makes for a more hospitable environment for the bacteria that is already there ---- in other words, even if you were diving in pure distilled water it would probably cause problems for you.

Well said, Charlie. Why invite the varmites for a feast when measures can be taken to ensure the environment doesn't create a party atmosphere for them? If the bacteria is already there but they're behaving themselves, I can co-exist peacefully with them, but not when they "act up" at my comfort's sake. And you're right about any kind of water being a factor . Sometimes I used to get infections just from getting too much water in my ears after taking a long shower. It's dry ears for THIS woman! I'm just glad that not everybody has the same problems as some of us....otherwise there would be a lot less divers. It's good that people are coming up with ways to help the rest of us who are prone to problem ears able to join the "healthy ear" people under water!

I'm glad the pro-ear mask is working for you. Contrary to SparticleBrane's snide comments, better equalization techniques don't help to keep water out of the outer ear.
:rolleyes:

Here are a few good articles about ear solutions.
DAN Divers Alert Network : Can You Prevent Otitis Externa, or Swimmers Ear?
DAN Divers Alert Network : More On Swimmers Ear

My main concern with using the proear mask is that at some point, it's likely going to get kicked off your head (just like any other mask), including the ear cups -- resulting in wet ears. Apparently this is an issue with your ears since you say you can't use the alcohol/vinegar combination. Hence why I just posted links to a few DAN articles with recommendations for slightly different solutions.

My ENT advised me not to put anything in my ears that he hasn't prescribed because he's sent three children to college already due to people trying to cure their own ear problems.

I bet he put those 3 kids through college through money made off office visits from those seeking a prescription.

Hi SparticleBrane,

The DAN pieces you linked obviously are quite dated. They both mention Otic Domeboro, a somewhat expensive prescription preparation that the U.S. Navy used to recommend for its divers but which the Bayer Corporation, the manufacturer, permanently took of the market 7 years ago.

Diver's with concerns about swimmer's ear are referred to DAN's "Alert Diver" magazine's most recent article on the topic:

Preventing Swimmer's Ear
Doc Vikingo's Preventing Swimmer's Ear

Regards,

DocVikingo

That's actually the article I was trying to find. Thanks!

Great article, Doc!!! I'm going on a live aboard in July, and I don't want anything to interrupt my diving. I want to get as many dives as I can get in while I'm on it without having to worry about ear problems. I love my Pro Ear mask (as you've probably ascertained....lol), but I'm well aware that nothing is foolproof. I also am wearing Doc's Proplugs for the times when my mask might get kicked off (as ParticleBrain....I mean SparticleBrane) mentioned. Since I have a problem with both dry ears and flaking and excessive moisture which leaves me prone to ear infections (can ears be bipolar? lol) I have Zolene HC ear drops for the dryness, which works well as long as I don't use it continuously for a long time, and my ENT gives me a script when I get the infections, which I haven't gotten since I started swimming and diving with the Ear Pro and have left it up to him to remove excess ear wax instead of trying homemade remedies. Is mineral oil a main ingredient in Zolene? It seems to have that feel to it.

If I have your permission, I'd like to print out your article and ask him about if it could work for me. I know the vinegar/alcohol burned my throat (not to mention my ears) when I used it on a regular basis when I was in Bonaire, and I don't care to experience that again. Do you think if I dive enough I'll grow gills and can get rid of the ears completely? That would make life so much easier for me.....lol. Besides, with my hearing loss, I hear better underwater.

Thanks for being such a valuable member to SB. I really appreciate you and all you do for the family here. <kiss, kiss>

I know the vinegar/alcohol burned my throat (not to mention my ears) when I used it on a regular basis when I was in Bonaire, and I don't care to experience that again.
Putting that solution into your ears and feeling the burning sensation down past your eustation tubes and into your throat would usually indicate a punctured tympanum.

I bet he put those 3 kids through college through money made off office visits from those seeking a prescription.
:lol:​

Sometimes it seems that way, huh? Anyone with ear problems really should see a physician, tho - if not an ENT, and follow orders from one. Follow up needs are often handled over the phone; if not possible, then he really needs to examine first. I am one of the worst about self treating, but if OTC meds and DAN articles don't work, go for the doc!
Putting that solution into your ears and feeling the burning sensation down past your eustation tubes and into your throat would usually indicate a punctured tympanum.
It does sound like it. I can't imagine a 1/3 mix of alcohol burning a healthy ear, but again - if she is follow doc's orders, she's right. :crafty:

Hey Dan, I've never had an ear infection but I remember back in the '50's when a dive shop owner named DeLucia (Balt, MD) complained of it. I had never heard of it but it sounded bad. Later that year, he was killed when a cascade bottle exploded. Based on what he said it is questionable which was worse. We'll never know. Anyway, all these comments got me to thinking. How about adding some antibiotic ointment, something which would mix with, and be added to, the alky/vinegar brew? If it worked it would possibly cost the drug companies a billion dollars which they normally make on $200 worth of prescription products- meanwhile, helping some divers.
Chuckles,
Pesky

Hey Dan, I've never had an ear infection but I remember back in the '50's when a dive shop owner named DeLucia (Balt, MD) complained of it. I had never heard of it but it sounded bad. Later that year, he was killed when a cascade bottle exploded. Based on what he said it is questionable which was worse. We'll never know. Anyway, all these comments got me to thinking. How about adding some antibiotic ointment, something which would mix with, and be added to, the alky/vinegar brew? If it worked it would possibly cost the drug companies a billion dollars which they normally make on $200 worth of prescription products- meanwhile, helping some divers.
Chuckles,
Pesky
Who's Dan?

I'm sure there are good reasons for having never heard of any sort of ear ointment, altho I don't know what they are exactly. I'm sticking with the Doc's brew - works great for pennies.

Back
Top Bottom