Flying to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow for dive vacation, but diagnosed with "mild" "Acute otitis media" today. Is my trip over before it began?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox_DiverNY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, flying into Fort Lauderdale by the sea tomorrow from NY for a vacation with my family and to do some diving, but today I woke up with a odd ear ache of of the blue. I went right to Urgent care because of my dive plans and was diagnosed with "mild" acute otitis media... i.e "ear infection" It was the first day of symptoms ( slight pain, full feeling, and slight sore throat on left side but very mild) but the doctor said I caught it very early and prescribed ""neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates ear drops"" and said it should clear up in a few days, but if not then to take oral antibiotics (Z-pack). I will start the Ear Drops now and hope they work.

I am hoping that since I caught this so early the drops will knock it out by Monday or Tuesday of this upcoming week and I can get some dives in. My planed dives were Commercial Bulivard Peir with a max depth of 25ft on Nitrox 38-40%
I will have from this Saturday 25th to next Friday 1st to dive, do you think if this infections heals up I will be able to get some shallow water dives in? I know the biggest pressure change happens shallow but I am hoping that this ear will heal quick!

I know ear plugs are a no no for divers, but isn't there one special kind of ear plug for divers that allows for equalization, but I forgot that name would anyone here happen to know if that would help in my situation?

If anyone could give me some advice on what to do, or if you think I will be able to dive very shallow sites? I wanted to Ask here before calling DAN, since many folk here are very helpful. Thank you for your time and help!

Otitis media (middle ear infection) is not treated with ear drops (treats external ear problems).

I can't advise you, but the diagnosis of otitis media seems suspect. One big issue for diving is whether you can "clear" your ear if otitis media. And if you really have otitis externa, how will sea water getting in there affect it?

Otitis media (middle ear infection) is not treated with ear drops (treats external ear problems).

I can't advise you, but the diagnosis of otitis media seems suspect. One big issue for diving is whether you can "clear" your ear if otitis media. And if you really have otitis externa, how will sea water getting in there affect it?
thanks for the reply, the Dr I saw did list the diagnosis as acute Otitis media, and did say during exam she could see a little swelling. I will look into the drops effectiveness, but they do seem to have helped so far today if that is possible

All I'm saying is, the weather down here right now is gorgeous.

However, I dove with an ear infection in the St Lawrence seaway, and ended up driving back to MD unable to hear from one ear after I forced it to clear... (it returned a day later)

Cancel your dives, spend time on the beach, visit the everglades, do some shallow snorkeling at some of the great spots and don't risk it.

I know ear plugs are a no no for divers, but isn't there one special kind of ear plug for divers that allows for equalization, but I forgot that name would anyone here happen to know if that would help in my situation?
Are you talking about Doc's ProPlugs? I've never used them; they are discussed on the forum in various threads.

I, too, am surprised to read of ear drops being used for otitis media (behind the ear drum) as opposed to otitis externa (which involves the ear canal). Doesn't seem like the ear drop antibiotic would reach the bacterial infection effectively.

All I'm saying is, the weather down here right now is gorgeous.

However, I dove with an ear infection in the St Lawrence seaway, and ended up driving back to MD unable to hear from one ear after I forced it to clear... (it returned a day later)

Cancel your dives, spend time on the beach, visit the everglades, do some shallow snorkeling at some of the great spots and don't risk it.
oh man that sounds scary! I am hoping that by at least Tuesday (4 days away) it will have cleared up enough to dive, but If not them I definitely won't. Its a extremely mild infection and has actually stopped bother me at the moment thank god, lets hope it stays that way.

Would love to being my son to the Everglades we were looking at Florida holiday park, any good? Thanks!!

Are you talking about Doc's ProPlugs? I've never used them; they are discussed on the forum in various threads.

I, too, am surprised to read of ear drops being used for otitis media (behind the ear drum) as opposed to otitis externa (which involves the ear canal). Doesn't seem like the ear drop antibiotic would reach the bacterial infection effectively.
yes those!! I will check those threads out.

and I have no idea about the drops, the Dr said she say some inflammation on that I think was the ear drum could be wrong, but maybe she was mistaken in her Diagnosis. I used the drops before and my ear actually feels much better. It was very mild to begin with but given the diving I jumped on getting it treated. I hope its just a outer ear issue. Thanks!!

oh man that sounds scary! I am hoping that by at least Tuesday (4 days away) it will have cleared up enough to dive, but If not them I definitely won't. Its a extremely mild infection and has actually stopped bother me at the moment thank god, lets hope it stays that way.

Would love to being my son to the Everglades we were looking at Florida holiday park, any good? Thanks!!
My daughter actually went there today with her summer camp, she had a blast. She says The airboat ride and seeing the animals was fun. (I've never been)

Depending on where you're from in NY, take a drive out to the everglades (it's a major highway) at night and enjoy the stars on one of the pull offs.

It is hot during the day.

There is a ton to do down here, while nothing at all to do. Lol

This past weekend we kayaked across to st Lucie preserve state park and hung out on a beach where we saw maybe 6 people all day. It was amazing.

My daughter actually went there today with her summer camp, she had a blast. She says The airboat ride and seeing the animals was fun. (I've never been)

Depending on where you're from in NY, take a drive out to the everglades (it's a major highway) at night and enjoy the stars on one of the pull offs.

It is hot during the day.

There is a ton to do down here, while nothing at all to do. Lol

This past weekend we kayaked across to st Lucie preserve state park and hung out on a beach where we saw maybe 6 people all day. It was amazing.
very nice! and that sound awesome to drive there at night, lets just hope my bad luck doesn't continue and I don't get eaten by a gator at night lol

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom