Ear infection ... update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks DrV! Always good to have your info on these matters.

For 10c a week, I think I'll keep using the vinegar & alcohol that seems to work so well, I carry a small bottle in my mask box to use a bit after every dive, then another bottle in my room for the end of the dive day treatment, altho adding a bit of glycerin as FunkyDiver suggested is probly a good idea. I produce so much ear wax, maybe that's why I never felt that need.

I've never seen anyone diving the Swimming Ear Protection Diving Masks ProEar 2000 How many dives have you made with yours, JMermaid?

I use this stuff all the time. It has been rerelease as a Bausch and Laumb product. The Dr. can cross reference the product. I pay $10 every 3 months for a new bottle. Works great.

I use this stuff all the time. It has been rerelease as a Bausch and Laumb product. The Dr. can cross reference the product. I pay $10 every 3 months for a new bottle. Works great.
Which? We've discussed several...??

Hi shark-tamer,

The product you intend to use, BURO-SOL Otic Solution (Dermatology products: Stiefel Canada), is designed to prevent swimmer's ear and treat otitis externa (swimmer's ear). It seems likely that used as directed it can be of help with recurring outer ear infections associated with scuba.

DocVikingo

Hi DocVikingo,

Exactly what I was looking for ... a product that will prevent my reccuring ear infections

Regards,

October 5th, 2007 10:12 AM: "I use this stuff all the time. It has been rerelease as a Bausch and Laumb (sic; Bausch & Lomb) product. The Dr. can cross reference the product. I pay $10 every 3 months for a new bottle. Works great. Mitchell."

October 5th, 2007 10:14 AM: "Which? We've discussed several...?? DandyDon."

The cross-reference has been mentioned in various of my board posts on ear issues and is cited in the recent DAN Alert Diver article on swimmer's ear I linked earlier in this thread. It is Bausch & Lomb Pharmaceuticals NDC 24208-615-77.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks DrV! Always good to have your info on these matters.

For 10c a week, I think I'll keep using the vinegar & alcohol that seems to work so well, I carry a small bottle in my mask box to use a bit after every dive, then another bottle in my room for the end of the dive day treatment, altho adding a bit of glycerin as FunkyDiver suggested is probly a good idea. I produce so much ear wax, maybe that's why I never felt that need.

I've never seen anyone diving the Swimming Ear Protection Diving Masks ProEar 2000 How many dives have you made with yours, JMermaid?

Today was my 12th dive using the Pro Ear, and my ears feel great! I had some water get in them once (didn't get all the hair out of the way) and was able to flush it by breathing through my nose. I love it and can't imagine using any other kind of mask with the confidence I have in this one. It keeps my ears dry, bacteria out, and it's cool to be able to hear underwater.

I'm betting that better ear-clearing technique would trump having to use a mask to keep your ears dry...

I've gone the alcohol/vinegar route, and it dried my ears out too much (and burns like hell when you have an infection that hasn't notified you via any pain yet). My ENT advised me not to put anything in my ears that he hasn't prescribed because he's sent three children to college already due to people trying to cure their own ear problems. I would rather use a $49.00 mask that keeps my ears dry and healthy than not being able to dive because of recurrent infections. It's not just keeping the ears dry that's at stake.....it's keeping bacteria out that makes a home in my attractive ears that's the problem, and which the mask provides protection (a prophylactic, if you will). I'm happy with my mask and have no intention of messing with mixtures that have not benefited me in the past. I'm glad they work for the majority of people and would in no way try to talk them out of using it.......they just don't work for me.

Right on, jupitermermaid - whatever works best for you, especially following physician instructions - usually anyway, or find a doc your trust. I have a few who shouldn't be practicing, whom I replaced, but the majority are good. :wink:

It's not just keeping the ears dry that's at stake.....it's keeping bacteria out that makes a home in my attractive ears that's the problem, .......
I'm glad the pro-ear mask is working for you. Contrary to SparticleBrane's snide comments, better equalization techniques don't help to keep water out of the outer ear.

I just want to point out to both you and others that are reading this thread that more likely than not, the bacteria are already in your ear canal.

While you might be getting bacteria into your ear with the water, the more normal problem is that having a wet ear makes for a more hospitable environment for the bacteria that is already there ---- in other words, even if you were diving in pure distilled water it would probably cause problems for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom