Ear Being a Bit Odd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hasn't felt bad yet - yes I'm on Something-cillin (antibiotic of some strain or other) and ibuprofen (antiinflammatory). The doc said I caught it right at the beginning. Should be completely clear within a few days he says.

I never let it get to the point where it was "stuffy" or difficult to clear.....

Right this minute, it feels completely normal. I'm strictly observing the antibiotic course as you really can't mess with such things (ever heard of superbacteria?)

Hello, I've had it a few times, too, in salt water. I always thought it was a partially clogged eustachian tube putting a small amount of pressure on the tympanic membrane. You could try (carefully) equalizing out of the water with your nose plugged. Also Tylenol Sinus or equivalent. Hope it's not an infection, good luck.

bruce o:
Hello, I've had it a few times, too, in salt water. I always thought it was a partially clogged eustachian tube putting a small amount of pressure on the tympanic membrane. You could try (carefully) equalizing out of the water with your nose plugged. Also Tylenol Sinus or equivalent. Hope it's not an infection, good luck.
It is an infection, but has just begun. I have no problems clearing at all, which is the oddest thing - I can even just do the jaw flex and pop my ears (which normally is off-an-on successful)

yeah i've heard of those nasty things. make sure you do the antibiotic right - the whole dose even if you feel great. If you don't finish the complete dose, next time you need it it will not work properly as the bacteria will not die, just go dormant - or something like that -

so have fun with the charter thing. and a great wkend.
maria

FreeFloat:
It is an infection, but has just begun. I have no problems clearing at all, which is the oddest thing - I can even just do the jaw flex and pop my ears (which normally is off-an-on successful)
It's possibly an infection in the outer ear canal, instead of the inner. Which doesn't affect your ability to equalize, but can get very painful and diving with it not advisable. The fact that I know too many who've had such infections after diving at Innerkip is why I don't dive there, in spite of the fact it's the closest hole filled with water. The couple of divers I know who contiue to dive there regularly, treat their ears with hydrogen peroxide after diving. :11:

I had something similar earlier this summer....
1. My ear was sore on the outside, couldn't sleep on that side, almost like a bruise.
2. Hearing range was off, after getting slightly worse over the weekend and a monday away from home went to the doctors office.

Diagnosis was swimmers ear, early stages of what would have gotten worse. Antibiotics cleared it over a weeks time.

I had been snorkeling on a nearly daily basis at the time with no discomfort even when I'd pike down. I continued doing so while on the medication, I did use ear plugs since the eardrops I was on needed to be absorbed and I didn't want to risk flushing them out. Recovery was 100%

From what I've read the organisims responsible normally exist in the ear. Prolonged wetness greats an enviornment where they thrive and that's where the problems begin.

Doctor recomended using home made eardrops of 50% rubbing alchohol and 50% white common vinegar. The alchohol extracts the water and the vinegar restores a health slightly acidic condition in the ear canal.

Further research revealed this is a lot along the lines of what the Navy does however they added one key finding. You must lay on your side and leave the solution for a full 5 minutes (no cheating) per ear.

It's now a ritual when we're out of the water for the day.

I'm not a medical profesional just a curious guy who got a little sick and looked stuff up and asked questions.

Pete

Groundhog246:
It's possibly an infection in the outer ear canal, instead of the inner. Which doesn't affect your ability to equalize, but can get very painful and diving with it not advisable. The fact that I know too many who've had such infections after diving at Innerkip is why I don't dive there, in spite of the fact it's the closest hole filled with water. The couple of divers I know who contiue to dive there regularly, treat their ears with hydrogen peroxide after diving. :11:

Little update.

I did indeed feel just fine and went for a few (6) dives this weekend. Down to 110' max depth, no problems whatsoever. Kept on the amoxycillin as per the prescribed schedule, and on the evening dosage used the ibuprofen too (was also given pseudoephedrine HCl to take - the Doc said I can take it throughout the antibiotic course, but the pharmacist who dispensed it said taking it more than 8 in a row or something like that was not advisable :confused: ) So to play it safe with the sudafed I'm taking it as needed only.

Was just peachy all weekend........ then Monday evening developed a sorta "stuffy" feeling - still free & easy clearing though.

At the moment (Tuesday) feeling quite swollen/congested and hearing is just slightly "foggy".... it's an irritating feeling as I keep wanting to stick a Q Tip in there.

Think I'll stick to dryland pursuits this week.......... with any luck it'll be cleared up by the weekend so I can head to Brockville.........but I'm not pushing it this time. :rolleyes:

You taking antibitoics by pill plus ear drops, or without ear drops?

DandyDon:
You taking antibitoics by pill plus ear drops, or without ear drops?
Without. I asked the doctor about ear drops (I didn't say it, but was thinking "ear beer") and he said they would have no effect whatsoever. I think he said something about the infection being in the middle ear although that didn't sound right to me. (Wouldn't that affect one's balance/vertigo?)

He was hard to understand as he spoke softly and in a heavily accented voice, so after asking him to repeat himself several different times I gave up and got most of my answers (about the meds) from the pharmacist.

I did manage to find out, however, that if I had not gone to see him then within a day or two I would have been in "excruciating" pain as the infection would've run rampant.

I tried to ask what would happen if I dived anyway on the early stages of the infection (as it was at that point) and I still don't know what it is he said. I did ask him to repeat himself on that a couple of times and he seemed a bit anniyed that I couldn't understand his words so he shortened it to "I wouldn't recommend it". But at the time I also wasn't sure if he knew I meant to dive while taking the medication or dive anyway without. I think he may have thought I meant go diving without seeing him for medication or without taking it. :confused:

Just my own little note, I've had tons of middle ear infections, and have seen several docs about them.. I always get put on an oral antibiotic and another, different style of antibiotic ear drop. For example, Omnicef pills plus Cipro drops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom