Eagles Nest Cave Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's BS they both had over 100 dives on the rebreathers and Greg has several thousand dives all over the world. They are also instructors for several agencys.

And your point is what, that the most dangerous kind of cave diver is a very experienced open water diver?
That open water divers should cave dive without proper training?
These 2 were not cave trained.
Wreck Divers does not equal Cave Diver. 1 or 1000's O/W dives does not make you a cave diver -- EVER..
I dive EN all the time, but would not do it with that Hot Mix they had. It's people like this that kill themselves is what hoses it up for the rest of us.

Last edited:
And your point is what
The statement you referenced...
That's BS they both had over 100 dives on the rebreathers and Greg has several thousand dives all over the world. They are also instructors for several agencys.
Was clearly addressing this statement within his post...
The men were inexperienced divers and had no certification, said Sgt. Donna Black of the Hernando County Sheriff's Office.

Is this true or more reporter BS?
I suppose you missed it but it was right there.

Jimmy it's hard to beleive your gone. I know we well dive again in paradise.
Love ya Brother

And your point is what, that the most dangerous kind of cave diver is a very experienced open water diver?
That open water divers should cave dive without proper training?
These 2 were not cave trained.
Wreck Divers does not equal Cave Diver. 1 or 1000's O/W dives does not make you a cave diver -- EVER..
I dive EN all the time, but would not do it with that Hot Mix they had. It's people like this that kill themselves is what hoses it up for the rest of us.

I'm not defending nhdiving91 just pointing out that according to his profile, he joined SB today, his location is KY and his only SB posts, a total of 2, were on this thread. He must be a friend of the deceased and may not be posting with a clear head. In mourning, we say and do many things we would not say or do normally.

Wow...there is SO much speculation as to what happened in that cave. I didn't know that you were all in that cave with those involved in this accident.

Your assumptions have led to rumors....and your rumors have "become facts" for most of you. I appreciate the attention that you have given this tragdey, and your rememberance of the victims. Although I do understand the notion / idea / assumed rumor that they were not cave certified and the danger involved in that, I must also convey that regardless of the training (or possible lack of), a man lost his life. He is not the first, nor will he be the last.

One final note: Several of you have turned this tragedy into a "bashing of the idiots who give diving a bad name, people with a disregard of skill who die and cause people to close our dive sites, and arrogant divers with no business in a cave"....and then you talk of saving lives. I can guarantee bashing of divers (alive or dead) has NEVER saved anyone's life. Not now, not ever.

I'm not defending nhdiving91 just pointing out that according to his profile, he joined SB today, his location is KY and his only SB posts, a total of 2, were on this thread. He must be a friend of the deceased and may not be posting with a clear head. In mourning, we say and do many things we would not say or do normally.
I thot he was quite clear in his post as illustrated in my post right above yours. One early claim was that the dives were "inexperienced divers and had no certification" and he corrected that info.

Wow...there is SO much speculation as to what happened in that cave. I didn't know that you were all in that cave with those involved in this accident.

Your assumptions have led to rumors....and your rumors have "become facts" for most of you. I appreciate the attention that you have given this tragdey, and your rememberance of the victims. Although I do understand the notion / idea / assumed rumor that they were not cave certified and the danger involved in that, I must also convey that regardless of the training (or possible lack of), a man lost his life. He is not the first, nor will he be the last.

One final note: Several of you have turned this tragedy into a "bashing of the idiots who give diving a bad name, people with a disregard of skill who die and cause people to close our dive sites, and arrogant divers with no business in a cave"....and then you talk of saving lives. I can guarantee bashing of divers (alive or dead) has NEVER saved anyone's life. Not now, not ever.

If you want mourning go to the threads for passings.. I man lost his life and that is bad. This particular one can give those of us who are legitimate cave divers a bad name and close a system. If this bashing as you call it keeps someone else from doing it, then that probably just saved a life.. Go figure...

Were these divers cave certified? What agency?

...Your assumptions have led to rumors....and your rumors have "become facts" for most of you...Although I do understand the notion / idea / assumed rumor that they were not cave certified and the danger involved in that...Several of you have turned this tragedy into a "bashing of the idiots who give diving a bad name, people with a disregard of skill who die and cause people to close our dive sites...

"The men were experienced divers but had no cave-diving certification, said Sgt. Donna Black of the Sheriff's Office."
from St. Petersburg Times; Thursday, November 5, 2009

If it IS a rumor, generally rumors started by law enforcement trump assertions by citizens. I think we can take the lack of cave certification as fact now. Lack of training + cave diving = dead diver if not this time, then eventually. I think the reason for the strong responses is that as experienced divers they knew the risk, which in that case was EXTREME, and from my understanding even for certified cave divers is substantial. With their level of training (CCR) and experience (having made such dives before) they should have had an inkling of what they were in for; eventually. It's pretty natural for folks to get upset when others ruin something for them which they have paid their dues to enjoy, especially when the dues are so high in terms of money, time and effort

I figure END based on O2+N2 so only the He% matters... :)
Rick

Using the 1-he method they would have an END of 230ft when the dil was fresh but would breath the O2 down to an END of 222ft
If we assumed END was a function of PPN2 then he would have a END of 162 to start but the END would rise to 173 when the O2 was metabolised to a 1.2 setpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom