Eagles Nest Cave Diver Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Wiki, Weeki Wachi has an average depth of 265ffw and a max depth of 407ffw.

They could be referring to how far into the cave he was.

hmm...but if they were more than 200 feet under, wouldn't their max bottom time be like a minute anyways which would make it impossible for them to even explore the cavern at all?

Discussion already in progress over in Accidents and Incidents: Eagles Nest Cave Diver Death
As bleeb pointed out, there's a thread about this in the Accidents and Incidents Forum. And, yes, a topic of discussion in that thread is how accurate the news stories have been.

Due to the advanced nature of the diving involved, discussion of the incident probably isn't appropriate for the "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" Forum.

[Edited later: This was originally posted in the "New Divers" Forum and subsequently moved to A&I by a mod. Sorry for cluttering up the thread. If I could delete it, I would.]

Last edited:
hmm...but if they were more than 200 feet under, wouldn't their max bottom time be like a minute anyways which would make it impossible for them to even explore the cavern at all?

Remember everything that you were taught in OW?

Technical Divers (cave diving is technical) break all the 'rules' you were taught in OW.

They, hopefully, have spent a lot of time, and money, learning and training to do what they do. A lot of training.

They are taking calculated risk and sometime they are pushing the limits.

Ask questions in the forums. You'll get some snarky responses and you'll get a lot of 'you shouldn't exceed your training' comments. Ask away, especially as a new diver.

The answer to your comment is decompression diving.

does the instructor teach wreck diving at en often? I am just curious as to the justification since I think it may have been a direct cause of the divers complacency...

From the links I provided above, the divers involved in this accident did not do their wreck training at EN. That said, from what I have read their instructor supposably did conduct wreck training at EN.

Google "closed circuit rebreather" . . . fascinating . . . . Not for me.

Google "closed circuit rebreather" . . . fascinating . . . . Not for me.

Okay, I Googl-ed it. Got a lot of sales of CCR's and training sites. So why is it "fascinating" and "not for you?"

Okay, I Googl-ed it. Got a lot of sales of CCR's and training sites. So why is it "fascinating" and "not for you?"

Not for me unless you want to get me one!:D

Damn they are expensive.

Back
Top Bottom