DumpsterDiver emergency ascent from 180'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on a regulator failure like this, there would likely have been signs of IP creep upon pressurizing the regulator initially at the surface. Creep would have been identified and the regulator removed from service

My conshelf 1st stage was rock solid IP right before it blew out the seat. Well, Right before my trip to Bonaire it was checked..

we have a bunch of very experienced divers here that I would dive with in a minute... But, you guys can't even come up with a pony bottle size that you all agree on... I dive a 19cu pony, It works for me... I'm side mounting 2 40cu tanks along with a 80cu back gas to dive deep solo.. That's what I think is the best way for me... I still run Navy tables in my head diving deep.. Only have a computer as a backup to check that my math is good.. I don't run lines in wrecks... I do what works for me.. I don't tell others that they should do what I do.. I tell them to figure out what works for them..

MOST people diving today are far from safe and only one breath away from death... As long as everything works, they are fine... Divers like DD can and do handle anything that is thrown at them... I'm not going to give him crap about his diving style... I know he doesn't let his son dive like he does...

Jim...

Last edited:
@tbone1004 You would know better than me. I believe his reg was overhauled by the previous owner. So it's possible she reused the diaphragm and DD was on the receiving end of that mistake.

I just have mine checked every year and breath. :) I liked your video. You should do more of that. I'm going to go buy a intermediate pressure checker. I dive enough that I am likely putting more wear on the reg than your typical vacation diver.

I would dive with DD in a minute without a second thought...

Jim...

Me, as well.

I say that with the mental clarity that agreeing to dive with ANY dive buddy always carries a presumption that we will come to mutual agreement on the dive plan, including things like gear configuration, gas reserves, etc.. And that he who wants the most conservative plan wins. I don't really know DD, but I bet if we were proposing to dive together, we could agree on a plan that I would be happy with.

@tbone1004 You would know better than me. I believe his reg was overhauled by the previous owner. So it's possible she reused the diaphragm and DD was on the receiving end of that mistake.

I just have mine checked every year and breath. :) I liked your video. You should do more of that. I'm going to go buy a intermediate pressure checker. I dive enough that I am likely putting more wear on the reg than your typical vacation diver.

need to convince Mrs. T-Bone to help me with post processing so they come out in better quality. I loathe post processing and she has prioritized training for a half marathon and playing volleyball 3 times a week to doing scuba videos....

need to convince Mrs. T-Bone to help me with post processing so they come out in better quality. I loathe post processing and she has prioritized training for a half marathon and playing volleyball 3 times a week to doing scuba videos....

You are a lucky man... :)

If you don't care to add fancy graphic and such, you can still download Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft's app store. I'd say it's probably the simplest video editor.

If you don't care to add fancy graphic and such, you can still download Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft's app store. I'd say it's probably the simplest video editor.

that's what I used for that, we also have some nicer stuff that she knows how to use, just the motivation to get it done. If you have any specific ones you want, shoot me a PM. Had a couple ideas for this weekend if I get time

that's what I used for that, we also have some nicer stuff that she knows how to use, just the motivation to get it done. If you have any specific ones you want, shoot me a PM. Had a couple ideas for this weekend if I get time
Well I still haven't been able to remove my Hollis face plates... Though I haven't put forth my best effort. Handsaw? :)

on a regulator failure like this, there would likely have been signs of IP creep upon pressurizing the regulator initially at the surface. Creep would have been identified and the regulator removed from service

I'm puzzled by a number of aspects of this.

Considerable amounts of creep in a 1st stage would result in a slight freeflow in the connected second stage once the IP got high enough. I would think this would be readily noticeable. On my reg sets (HOG and Conshelf), a 10-20% increase in IP will make the second stage dribble. Does Zeagle use balanced seconds or some other design that doesn't vent gas?

Is the presumption here that the (primary) diaphragm ruptured but was still held in place around the edge? Or do we think that it pulled loose from the edge of the chamber? I realize that the environmental seal, aka secondary diaphragm, will rupture if the primary is leaking.

Back
Top Bottom