DUI pricing itself out of the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a TLS 350 and have yet to be wet in it except the time I rolled my neck seal without knowing it. I have heard of the seams leaking on the crushed neoprene suits but have not heard that about the rest of the suits. Anyway I am happy with mine and a buddy just bought a Catalyst which looks like a nice suit. I do not know a bout the durability on these.

I'm just getting back into diving after a 10 year hiatus and I can't imagine going back wet, so one of my first purchases was a new CF200x. Not that I looked very hard, but I haven't even seen another brand of dry suit being sold in San Diego. As for them pricing themselves out of the market, back in the early-mid 90's the CF200x was about $1800.00. 10 years later I paid $1900.00 for the suit with zip seals and rock boots. Not much of a change. If anything, I'm getting more now than I would have 10 years ago. Are the suits cheap? Definately not, but I always wanted one when I was a little diver and since I no longer get deals like I got on my Viking sport ($400.00 new) I figured I might as well splurge.

As for leakage, we'll see. My first dives in my viking were wet ones since there was a recall on the zipper at the time and my suit somehow missed quality control. It wasn't their fault though. The suit pressure tested fine. It was only when the body was in certain positions that the zipper leaked. After the zipper was changed, it was pleasure to dive. I guess what I'm saying is that everyone has their leakage/flood stories and more will post about bad experiences than good ones.

DUI is a fine suit, so is Viking for that matter. DUI is a little more expensive than the rest, but at this point, I don't see them making major price increases that would likely drive them out of the market.

Mo2vation:
Let someone else pay the inflated retail price and depreciation. If you're a stock size or close to a stock size, get your DS off of eBay or from a private party seller here or on TDS.

A DS isn't rocket science - its a people shaped bag with a neck seal, a couple of wrist seals and a zipper.

To pay two-grand for a drysuit is just silly. No suit is worth it.

The best news is once a DUI hits the secondary market, it holds its value.

DUI Dry Suits I've paid $700 I've flipped for $1100 a week later. Many times.

I hope they hardline their prices and don't ever dilute their premium brand status. Its very good for me.

---
Ken
I saw a CF200x SP go for 430$ US on ebay just the other day. Too bad i missed the auction :shakehead :(

jdelprete:
TLS350 or CLX450. They are close in price and design with only slight differences. Thoughts on either of these as I am looking to invest in a drysuit shortly. How about undergarment recommendations?

Jim

I purchased a TLS350 a few weeks ago, I have five dives on it now. The telescoping torso makes it a breeze to put on, and the material feels light and flexible. The inflator and vent valves operate more efficiently than on my last suit, so I'm finally able to use only my suit for bouyancy control underwater. I'm still using my White's undergarment and socks... with REI wicking underwear, I'm plenty toasty. Last week's dives were 50 F. I bought a pair of 5ml Pinnacle Merino lined gloves to go with it, and they are keeping my hands warmer than my 7ml gloves, with an increase in dexterity and tactile sense. I'm still looking for a dependable dry glove system... I'm giving up on the OS.

I found mine at Divetank... $1400 for a stock size during their sale, including zip seals for wrists and neck, relief zipper, knee pads, and a pocket on each thigh. I love the suit, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

My brother in law dives the TLS450 and loves it.

Steve

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I went with the Apollo 4.0 EX drysuit. So far, no complaints and I am very happy with the price (~$900). I'm fortunate that their medium-large size fits me perfectly. So far no leaks or other problems. My buddy dives a Bare DS (not sure which particular model) and every dive has some sort of leak problem. In fairness to Bare, I do have to say that he probably isn't meticulous in maintaining his suit so most of the issues are likely traced back to him.

Don't know how well the Apollo will do over time but so far I'm very pleased with its performance and construction.

renpirate:
You do know that they charge you $60 for that "service" to test their own work automatically?

I think he means they test new suits prior to shipping.

I have about 120 dives on my USIA Aqua Pro Plus. Have not replaced the seals yet and no leaks whatsoever. I would reccommend it to anyone but make sure you get the self donning and if male get the pee zip. Crotch strap not need if the suit fits correctly.

I'm at about 100 dives in my CF200 and I have only had one leak so far, and that leak was completely my own fault, after cleaning the suit I missed one of the teeth in the zip seals. As for quality I am most definently happy with my DUI as it has certainliy taken a beating and isnt any worse then I got it.

Great feedbackk all, much appreciate it. Now on the undergarments. Steve you mention Whites... I have heard not so many good things about the DUI undergarments and mixed reviews about Weezles. How about the rest of you, what are you using?

Thanks, Jim

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to be that the CLX is only different from the TLS in fabric material.

TLS being a trilam nylon/rubber/nylon
CLX being cordura polyester/rubber/polyester

I assume the CLX is more durable and this is the real difference?

jdelprete:
Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to be that the CLX is only different from the TLS in fabric material.

TLS being a trilam nylon/rubber/nylon
CLX being cordura polyester/rubber/polyester

I assume the CLX is more durable and this is the real difference?
The CLx450 fabric is somewhat less flexible than the material used for the TLS series suits. The CLx is probably more abrasion resistant, but either suit can be cut on a sharp edge. The TLS fabric dries more quickly than the CLx fabric, but they both dry much faster than the CF fabric. One relatively minor note, the socks used on all of the DUI dry suits is the CF material, this means that the socks on the suit can dry rather slowly. A well placed fan or hanging the suit feet up can speed this process.

For diving close to home the TLS will be nearly completely dry before you get to the car. The CLx will be dry not long after you get home, and the CF will still be damp the next morning. If you plan on traveling by air or car factor in your packing schedule to help choose the best material for you.

The TLS material also packs in the most compact space since the material is far less bulky than even the material used on the CLx.

For me the CLx450 was the best choice, and the older of these suits was cut slightly smaller in the chest and abdomen. This size difference while small made a difference to me. I also liked the way the old zipper was installed. When it comes time for me to buy another suit I will probably look for a used XL TLS350 so I can have the two different styles to choose from for the specific dive I am planning. Of course since I use the ZipSeals for the wrist and neck I sill have the flexibility of having the same set of spares work for each suit.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom