DUI pricing itself out of the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have over 80 dives on a Bare Nex-Gen I bought new for under $500. Going strong and dry as a bone.

When it was time to replace my secondhand DUI TLS350, I ended up going with the Bare HD Trilam. The deciding factors for me were cost, and relatively small number of stock sizes with DUI.

LOL~~~~ It is going to be endless debate about the price concern.....

Anyway, I bought the DUI DS for my GF. It was her B-day present and she is always complaining that it is the one of expensive suits that she ever had. She is also saying "where can I wear this one, in office or Conference... Tell me where?" LOL~~~~

I've dove DUI and will never buy one. I have yet to dive with somebody in a dui that hasn't managed to get wet. I know I always get wet during the dog rally, who's to say if it's poor seals or whatever else happens to those suits. But the fact is I've only dove DUI wetsuits, and IMO for the money they charge they should be more than what they are. But I will say they are comfortable.

Around here we dive a mix of Viking (my favorite), Bare, and USIA for the most part. Why? Price and dry diving for the most part.

Before somebody jumps me, I know all drysuits will eventually get a leak, that's the nature of the beast. However, some are more likely than others to leak at seams.

cummings66I:
have yet to dive with somebody in a dui that hasn't managed to get wet

I have 120 Dive's on a White's Catalyst SE, and no leaks to date. It seems DUI is all the Rage here in Calgary, I've only seen one new one that has not leaked on it's first Dive, this from buddies and Instructors I've been diving with.

I can buy 2 Whites complete with Bag, 2 sets of garments and Boots for what a DUI costs. My next suit will most likley be a White's again.

I doubt if DUI will price themselves out of the market. Dry Suit diving does not seem to be a price sensitive market. I went for my first dry suit dives last weekend in Rockport MA. Through the day there were about a dozen divers that came down to the beach we were at. I noticed that I was the only one not wearing a DUI suit! There seems to be a certain level of peer pressure to go DUI.
I felt the urge to tell everyone that I just bought my drysuit, underwear & boots for $525 brand new and no leaks and it was warm and comfortable (Bare Nex-Gen) (but I resisted the urge) .. not here though :)
It reminds me a bit of the iPod vs other MP3 players situation.

At dema I really wanted to sign with DUI. I dive a DUI suit and wanted to carry them in the store. I couldn't justify the difference in price and wound up signing with bare. I still want to carry DUI but I am not sure my customers are willing to pay the difference. They also require some minimum sales volumes yearly that worried me as well as the high prices. They also don't give a rental discount on their budget suits and were not willing to budge on it. I think they are probably the best suits available but at a much higher price point than bare. Bare suits are really nice for much less money.
Brent

Please remember this. Yes, DUI is a competitior of USIA, but I also consider Susan Long a friend. One of the reasons that DUI suits are a lot more expensive than many other suits is that they are a USA made dry suit. This automatically gives DUI a major disadvantage, as it does USIA. DUI uses a more expensive fabric in their suits than we do, thus the major difference in price. Most suits that are manufactured overseas do not offer customs, where DUI and USIA do. I encourage all of you to support U.S. Manufactured goods, but not only for the economic aspect, but also for the quality aspect. We do hold our goods to a higher standard that a lot of the foreign made equipment. USIA and DUI also are heavily involved in Military dry suits, and they require much more stringent standards than are required by most other end users. USIA and DUI test all of our suits the same where many overseas suits are not even tested before shipping. There is an old adage that says you get what you pay for. This is true with scuba equipment as well.

I own three USIA drysuits, no DUIs; with the money saved buying the former, I bought a used truck.

I had a Viking Xtreme that I don't ever recall being wet in. I had bulked up a bit in the arms and shoulders due to weight lifting and was unable to fit into a stock suit. My LDS gave me a great deal on a custom TLS350, though I bought my own pockets and my wife made my kneepads. The accessories are where they really get stupid expensive. It worked great for awhile but I have yet to have a dry dive on my last 15 dives with it. I've stuffed balloons in it and blew it up and never found a leak. The only thing I can think of is the neck seal is worn (and had a better sealing property than my skin) but I only have about 30 dives on it. I wear dry gloves and not getting wet there. I think the DUI drysuit is great for fit and flexibility but I miss the dryness that I had in my Viking.

Back
Top Bottom