DUI pricing itself out of the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had my TLS 350's for 3 years now. The first year was a wet one for my Wife and I. The valve leaked on both eventhough I asked DUI directly if that problem was resolved before buying (endlessly duscussed here on SB in the past) and they said that the valve had been re-designed and I should buy with confidence. So I did. They both leaked upon arrival. So I sent the suits back. They replaced the already re-designed valve with another re-designed valve. They have both been mostly dry and reliable ever since but I still recall the frustration of owning two shiny, new, expensive and leaking dry suits and won't forget it in the future. So for me, yes, DUI is pricing me out of the market in the future.

Yes, DUI makes a very nice suit. Many other dry suits are of generally comperable quality at lower prices. I own a DUI CLx450 that I bought used. It is in great shape. Fortunately for me I am very nearly an exact fit for an Extra Large in the 450 (older style zipper).

In my opinion the only reason to limit ones considerations to a DUI suit is ZipSeals. At present no one else offers any sort of similar feature. Sure there are hard wrist seal alternatives, but I am talking about the relatively flexible ZipSeals. For me, I wanted to have the flexibility to replace the wrist and neck seals quickly and easily while on a dive trip, this coupled with the price for a used suit made the DUI the right choice for me. It clearly is not the right choice for everyone, and price is probably the single most prevalent reason.

For anyone with a leaky suit, regardless of brand. There were a couple of good threads both here and over at the DecoStop about how to solve this. To highlight, you need to turn the suit inside out, seal off one wrist and the neck, and fill the suit with water. You will be able to see where any leaks are, and then you can fix them yourself. Once you have finished this test using each wrist as a fill point, your suit should be dry as a bone.

Mark Vlahos

USIA:
There is an old adage that says you get what you pay for. This is true with scuba equipment as well.

Hi USIA
That is only partially true; getting what you pay for isn't all about value. You have to factor in the intangibles like 'premium brand'
If you are familiar with pricing strategies you will know that there is usually a premium line that is significantly higher in price, but only marginally higher (or no higher) in cost. The premium price is paid by those willing to buy a label, not functionality and performance. Sometimes the 'status' premium can be significant.
I used to work for a manufacturer that basically screened normal production for runs that were marginally closer to quality targets (performance was not different). We put those ones in the 'professional' box and sell them for twice the price. They were consistently snapped up by the "pros".
:usa:
Suits made in the US (and Canada and Europe) may indeed have higher costs because of the higher cost of labor and I do understand the 'custom' factor .. if you need it! (I apparently don't)

Of course I do appreciate the perceived value of a 'premium factor' and use it to make me feel good at times too :D

DUI at one time did not make all their suits. Many of the military DUI suits are in reality Vikings.

It may be different now, but it was that way.

USIA makes a quality suit from all accounts, I've never dove one but I trust my instructor who has and he swears by them and not at them. He says it's one of the brands you can count on to be dry without lots of work.

USIA:
USIA and DUI test all of our suits the same where many overseas suits are not even tested before shipping...

You do know that they charge you $60 for that "service" to test their own work automatically?

* Any drysuit repair or service that affects the watertight integrity of the suit will incur a Test & Evaluation fee *http://www.dui-online.com/repairs.html

Now, I am no knocking DUI quality, they certainly have that and I am proud that they are made in the USA. I also really love my suit. However, they will begin to lose market share at those prices. It is simple economics.

USIA:
Please remember this. Yes, DUI is a competitior of USIA, but I also consider Susan Long a friend. One of the reasons that DUI suits are a lot more expensive than many other suits is that they are a USA made dry suit. This automatically gives DUI a major disadvantage, as it does USIA. DUI uses a more expensive fabric in their suits than we do, thus the major difference in price. Most suits that are manufactured overseas do not offer customs, where DUI and USIA do. I encourage all of you to support U.S. Manufactured goods, but not only for the economic aspect, but also for the quality aspect. We do hold our goods to a higher standard that a lot of the foreign made equipment. USIA and DUI also are heavily involved in Military dry suits, and they require much more stringent standards than are required by most other end users. USIA and DUI test all of our suits the same where many overseas suits are not even tested before shipping. There is an old adage that says you get what you pay for. This is true with scuba equipment as well.

yes and no.

http://www.dui-online.com/dry_rs.htm

This is marketed by DUI. But, it's made by Hunter/Gates.

http://www.hunter-diving.com/divingsuit_comm1050.html

Vulcanized seams that are guaranteed for the life of the suit. At least that's how Hunter warranties them. I went with Hunter/Gates VSN1100. Tri lam with vulcanized seams also. I also have a CF200. I don't like the overlap on the DUI's. To much material. The Gates vsn1100 is just as tough as the CF200. Would like the 350 but afraid it's to fragile for my type of diving. Also have Gates 1050's.

I don't think DUI is the BEST suit out there. But they are in the top 5. Just depends what you want the suit for.

cummings66:
DUI at one time did not make all their suits. Many of the military DUI suits are in reality Vikings.

It may be different now, but it was that way.

USIA makes a quality suit from all accounts, I've never dove one but I trust my instructor who has and he swears by them and not at them. He says it's one of the brands you can count on to be dry without lots of work.

Now they are Hunter/Gates. But DUI still don't make them. Been gates for as long as I know.

I wasn't aware they still didn't make them. It can't be the cost either considering how much a toilet seat costs.

TLS350 or CLX450. They are close in price and design with only slight differences. Thoughts on either of these as I am looking to invest in a drysuit shortly. How about undergarment recommendations?

Jim

Having seen, touched and dove most of the DUI suits and figuring in my personal requirements for a drysuit...

If you're going to go with Dui and have narrowed it down to those 2 suits, then I'd buy the CLX450. Regarding undergarments, I won't suggest one weight. I'll tell you to buy 2, get a 200 gr thinsulate and 400 gr thinsulate undergarment. Make sure you get some polypropylene thermals to go under them to soak up your sweat.

Back
Top Bottom