DSW-MEGADIVE PARTY, Version 1.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I'm looking at Manatee. It's not far from Ginnie for those that want to go, it's cheap for camping, has diving options, has BW options, and has pavillions cheaper than Ginnie. It is true they limit divers to 35/day, but considering that most people were there by noon, and since I've been going there, they've not hit their 35 limit until very late if at all on Saturday. SUNDAY is a different matter! I also expect Sunday, everyone else, (including myself) will be involved in the free for all. It shall be as it was. We had about 30 divers, but many were on site EARLY. The key is, if you want to dive get there early. If you want to hang out, get there anytime. If you want to camp, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, same for diving. They keep a running count of divers, and if they are full when ya get there, and ya still want to dive, go somewhere else, then come back for the food and fun.
This is not a MAJOR megabash like the first one because it is in a more remote location. I expect about half the participation of the last one. The April/May Megadive is the best! Good weather, good temps, probably at Ginnie again, so rez ahead of time is easier. The biggest key is cost. Either spend all yer money on one dive, or string it out and dive cheaper but more often. When I'm a millionaire, I'll make a megadive at someplace like the Cayman's or St. Croix. Until then, I'm a Po Boy who dives with what he has. :) Trying to do the same for others and have some fun in the process. I'm back to considering Ginnie as the annual April/May site, since the reservations were sparse.
I'm up to planning two for every year, with the second as a floating location. (no pun intended) April/May is also a good time because tax returns are in for those who plan ahead. Testing new toys is best in a semi-controlled environment. Unless you're Andy trying to run a reel in the ballroom. At least Gibbon will have his string this year, so it won't take him long to rebuild a regulator for Andy. :) :11ztongue

Is the Ginnie Springs group kid friendly? It looks like there are more daytime activities for the kids at Ginnie Springs. We have 8, 9, & 10 year old's. Do they have a max number of divers per day? I didn't see any restricitons on the website, which looks awesome. The pictures make me want to leave right now and head over there. Dive, dive, dive.... down, down, down, down....

Thanks,
-stacy

No restrictions that I know of. It's an awesome place to dive, and definitely do a drift down the river! The only thing Manatee has for little kids is the playground, although better than Ginnie's, that's not a great choice for Manatee kids' activities. My activities for the kids will be evening, whereas Ginnie is private and may have more options for day stuff. Last megadive, My wife and some other adults took the kids tubing down the river. This was awesome as well from what I heard. The exit for the tube run is well marked, (for surface swimmers anyway). The spring also ushers out so much water that it doesn't have the silt problems that Manatee has. Everyone I talk to says Ginnie is a one time dive site. If I could afford the $300 annual permit, I'd be there every day I have off! They also did a great job of helping with group stuff last event. That's why I'm considering it fro the annual party. Great sites, lots of options for diving!

f2c, Ginnie Springs on any given weekend has more kids per acre than any place except for the playground at the local public school. Only one playground, but the tubing, stickfighting, swimming, & general brawling tends to keep 'em occupied & happy throughout the weekend.

Oh, BTW, I am phishfood on www.scubaforum.org

DEEPSEAWOLF:
No restrictions that I know of. It's an awesome place to dive, and definitely do a drift down the river!

For those of us who get bored diving in holes in the rock, this was the best part of the diving there! In fact, getting in up at the tube launch part itself the following morning was quite exciting!!

Not trying to tick anyone off or anything, but I REALLY don't wanna read the past 5+ pages of this thread right now. lol. Is there a sticky or something I can read to find out what final stuff has been decided?

thanks

Just read DeepSeaWolf's posts (the long ones). Those should give you the updates pretty well.

I try to keep mine the last post within three postings. Nothing final has been decided yet as this is still over a month away. At this point, Ginnie is still an option, but I won't be doing the whole pre-register thing. Regardless of where we go. That has proven to be more of a hassle for the discount since we are not a local group. When a final site is decided upon, it will be posted on a new thread and all pertinent info will be the FIRST POST in that thread. Right now it is a toss-up between Ginnie and Manatee. If cost is not that big of an issue for people, it will be at Ginnie. I will arrange the food, and entertainment, and it's an FFA for camping and diving. I'm looking at input from others and the majority will rule.

Well, is it still Halloween weekend?
We haven't been to either manatee or ginnie, so we don't have much vote.
but here's our input if it helps.
We don't have kids so we're pretty much just interested in the bbq/beer and diving.
We don't mind paying a little more for the site if it's "nicer" and if it makes the diving more convenient. I'd hate to save a few bucks on the site and then have to waste gas/time driving from divesite to divesite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom