DSW-MEGADIVE PARTY, Version 1.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why DSW, are you planning a trip just in honor of my birthday??? (on the 30th)....why, how sweet of ya'll!!
I'm verifying the calendar, but believe I'm in on this, though will probably need a guide to central Florida myself...half your intinerary post is like greek to me...go where? and huh? But I'm sure I can figure it out!
We planning this as a long weekend concept--arrive Friday, leave Monday?

Sigh, and I guess I have to actually (gulp) invest in camping gear..........and LOTS of bug spray. :)

KBeck:
I'm verifying the calendar, but believe I'm in on this, though will probably need a guide to central Florida myself...half your intinerary post is like greek to me...go where? and huh? But I'm sure I can figure it out!
We planning this as a long weekend concept--arrive Friday, leave Monday?

Sigh, and I guess I have to actually (gulp) invest in camping gear..........and LOTS of bug spray. :)
You really have to get in the swing of this whole thing, camping is just part of it!

The cave map shows you pretty much where the sites are and how to get to them, or of course i am sure you have Deloach's book and a FL state map - at least enough to get around. Most them are state parks anyway, but if we all travel together in a convoy, then those with cards can help get others in!

It looks like there are a few willing to hit this trip! :wink:

Do we get ta spank ya? As for camping gear, just bring lots of blankets and pillows. Maybe a sleeping bag. I have a giant tent that has some extra room in it. I'm sure others would offer space if they had it, so you wouldn't have to get a tent.

I have never been to manatee springs. Is it OW friendly or just cave/cavern?

Both, it has a cave that starts upstream of the sink, opens into the sink, then again into the main spring. If you get to the sink early, it's not silty. The duckweed is kind of a pain to deal with, but when it closes over you and your eyes adjust, then you start seeing the sunbeams cutting through the crystal clear water and the fish hanging in what seems to be mid-air, it makes it all worth the effort. Also when you're in the main spring, swim under swimmers and bubble them. You get some funny responses. Like dolphins playing with seagulls! ESPECIALLY the ones just relaxing in inner tubes. Practice purge drills at ten feet! Suggestion, swim in the sink first so the main washes all the duckweed off that the shower DOESN'T get.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like fun. Time to start asking the wife for another weekend in the water.

If anyone here is available for Tuesday or Wednesday dives, I can meet you and we can ride in together. They prefer to have all divers using the freebie card in the same vehicle. I have no prob with meeting at my place and carpooling in. I live 1/4 mile from the interstate. (I-75 & Archer Rd. Intersection.) I can get up to 8 people in on the card for diving if we're in the same vehicle. Saves each diver ten bucks of dive fees.

Oh well looks like i am out before it even begins, just realised that the period my Mum is coming over to visit includes 10/30-11/7, so i would be pretty much out of the timeframe you are all looking at. However i will wait to hear the stories from this trip as well!

Since this is my first year; well month on here... How many divers usually show up for the mega dives? I called Manatee Springs for info and the woman on the phone was really nice, but firm. There are only 35 divers allowed per day. NO EXCEPTIONS. The line opens at 8am, there are no reservations ahead of time even if you are staying onsite. It sounded like another place would be better for a large group.

Trying to do this low budget let me know.
I'll be at Ginnie that weekend doing the pumkin party thing.
I rent the cabin and my friends take the campsites near by. we don't need anything other than that.
Anyone that wants to join us are welcome.
I don't ask for anything special from Ginnie.
We have a ball and bring food and have a grill at the cabin as well as a place to have a fire.
I won't make your reservations or collect any money. That's all up to you. It's a pay as you go thing.
We just want to have fun.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom