DSW-MEGADIVE PARTY, Version 1.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats not too bad either. As long as when we arnt diving we have somewhere to all hang out. When we are diving we can all just pack up and drive to the beach, can cook there too I assume.

OK... So far, it's looking like this...
I'm planning on this being at Manatee Springs State Park in Chiefland, for a couple of reasons;
---Simplicity in that everyone can make their own reservations very easily, once I have a primary site located.
---Cost effectiveness. Ginnie weekend for 4 with two of them diving- 4 camp X2 nights= $120, two divers two days= $100
approximate total of $220 for the weekend.... versus
State Park... $15 for up to 8 people per site per night, $10 per diver per day= $40, total = $70... the cost difference justifies paying a Ginnie entry fee, (or any other place for that matter), for a single day even.
---Centrally located for both North and South Florida extreme drivers, and many people in Central Florida.
---Springs clarity is a given, as is temperature as long as the river doesn't flood out. If so, we all go to one of the other springs where outflow is higher, like Ginnie.
---Many other dive sites within a 30 minute shuttle ride.
---Nearby locales for the kids to safely trick or treat.
---Pavillion rental is $35/day versus $125 for the weekend at Ginnie, plus their $250 deposit

I am also plannning a MINI-dive at Crystal River in December as there will be a ton of manatees in the spring. That will probably be a fend for yourself camp/hotel weekend with a Saturday morning, early dive-in. Anyone interested in that, I will post another thread so we can start getting some numbers for a charter. Higher numbers, hopefully, cheaper costs.

For the Halloween Megadive, I am planning on having activities for the kids, such as costume contests, games, and prizes throughout the day on Saturday. I would also like to do a sort of GAG gift prize run,... oldest diver, youngest diver, furthest travelled,... you get the idea.

Someone also suggested a costume party for the adults as something DIVEABLE. (Tasteful as there WILL be kids around, please)
Batman, Superman, clown, shark... it can be something as simple as a mask over your dive mask, or as elaborate as an actual Batman Suit, with utility weightbelt :) I would like to do a pumpkin carving for the kids during the day, which will be lit at night with light sticks to decorate the campsites.
I am also still planning on a COOKOUT, but this time, will have a GAS grill to speed chow times! (Since Ginnie FAILED to keep the big grill at the campsite for FRIDAY)

For the April/May Megadive, I am planning on a South Florida Party, so get ready! Start saving now for THAT one! I still want to see those Lobster mats! If that Saturday bombs out due to weather, I'm headed for the keys on Sunday!

I am in the proces now of making a downloadable map that has as many local dive sites on ONE map as possible. This will be done in advance of the Manatee Springs Party so anyone who wants to look at that can do so. I am in the process of setting up a major webpage with lots of information on it about dive sites; fees, locations, alternate activities for BW's, gear rentals, air fill sites,... keep an eye out for it.
That's all for now, back to the map research!

Works for me. Ill bring the cave gear for anyone who wants to do a cave/cavern dive. Its also plausible that we could do an offshore dive, but this area would require an all day trip no doubt as wed have to go out far to get any viz or depth. Ill look into it if anyone is interested.

Oh and if youre really up for a dive and some history, just up the road and the river is the City of Hawkinsville, paddler wheeler from the 1900s. Shore dive, low viz, some current, but its a unique dive.

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/bar/uap/uwcity.html

DEEPSEAWOLF:
I am in the proces now of making a downloadable map that has as many local dive sites on ONE map as possible. This will be done in advance of the Manatee Springs Party so anyone who wants to look at that can do so. I am in the process of setting up a major webpage with lots of information on it about dive sites; fees, locations, alternate activities for BW's, gear rentals, air fill sites,... keep an eye out for it.
That's all for now, back to the map research!
Ken, here is a map that you can use cave map, shows all the main stuff and directions to those sites in that area.

Those plans sound good, glad you got back on the planning/leadership committee, all hope was looking lost when you were off working and busy! :wink:

"all hope was looking lost when you were off working and busy! "

Ummm...He's still working, but when you leave him alone at work for the better part of 12 hours by himself in the middle of the night...strange things happen. :wink:

Would that be the reason for the halloween timed/themed party, so that he doesnt stand out too much???

First of all, Halloween is the ONLY holiday where I TELL my bosses I will be unavailable for work. It is a "religious holiday" for me so I can get back at all the extremists who take EVERY OTHER holiday off! Pink golf pants and purple shirt day? What is this?
Anywho... I tell people,... It's the one day of the year where my behaviour seems normal when compared to everyone else's. Well, then there's the day of the super bowl where somewhere, EVERYONE is going crazy!
I loved the cave map! That's the kind of thing I need. I would also be interested in looking at sites OTHER than Manatee myself. Especially since I have a state park pass and can go there often enough. I will be at the grill on Saturday, with some diving on site. Sunday, however, I plan on seeking other locations for diving in the area.

The Haloween Megadive at Manatee Springs sounds awesome! For those of us that are new (like me), how/when do we sign up, etc.

Thanks,
-stacy

"sign up" is a matter of doing what you've already done.

Welcome to the mad house.

Yeppers, well there is the obligatory gauntlet down the Columbian River Otter Corridor of Doom, but since yer new, we'll save that for the next Ginnie trip.... AND NO FAIR USING TAO AS A HUMAN SHIELD!!!!! He has enough trouble swimming through countrytime lemonade! So far as I understand it, we are getting some interest in doing this megadive. I will start the list running next week with members who have said they're going. Next week, I will take a trip out to Manatee and scope some campsites. Then I will post what numbers we prefer and for what nights. I will also post the info to get reservations made. When you call, give them the site numbers and see what's available. From what I understand, there are a lot of vacancies for that weekend and we kind of have our choice of spots. Your camping rez will get you into the park when you arrive. If you're a daytripper, you'll just pay whatever fees you normally would for a day trip... about 4 bucks per carload and 10 bucks per diver. More exact info next week. Welcome to all newcomers, and to the old folks,... bring a walker! BAH!!!!
(sorry, it's 40 minutes after midnight and my caff high hasn't worn off yet!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom