DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My rule of thumb is not to make strong judgments about someone based on one interaction because you cannot know the circumstances he was in at the particular time. I know I've been impatient and rude when I've been up for too long and been overworked and I hope people don't judge me by how I reacted that one time.

So I'm with those who say you should give him another chance on another day.

My rule of thumb is not to make strong judgments about someone based on one interaction because you cannot know the circumstances he was in at the particular time. I know I've been impatient and rude when I've been up for too long and been overworked and I hope people don't judge me by how I reacted that one time.

From the long history of less than favorable reports on SB about Tobin's personality and attitude, I don't think his problem is the occasional bad day. When you are in the customer service business, you do not get to have a lot of bad days without your business suffering the consequences.

It wasn't based on "one interaction" or a one day occurrence, it is based on a consistent long history of too many to count instances spanning several years.

There is more to Tobin than his rude and dismissive outer shell. He is a man that has generously helped many people. He has done his best. This doesn't change how he has made many people feel in their short interactions with him on the phone but I think it is an important thing that needs to be said. I would do business with him again and I would call him for advice. I would just be ready for his bluster before I dialed his number.

This discussion is moot unless he restarts his BCD business. His absence on the board since he closed in CA is a telling indicator of that intent. I doubt that he will return.

There is more to Tobin than his rude and dismissive outer shell. He is a man that has generously helped many people. He has done his best. This doesn't change how he has made many people feel in their short interactions with him on the phone but I think it is an important thing that needs to be said. I would do business with him again and I would call him for advice. I would just be ready for his bluster before I dialed his number.
^ This. He was the only one that took the time to e.g. explain why you needed or not needed a certain item like a wing. He was, however, a target for the whining crowd here on SB.

Last week I happened to be at a repair facility. There enters a customer with a request for a piece of hardware to be restored to working order. Main engineer/owner starts explaining what has to be done to fulfill that task. At every suggestion owner said customer replies with: "I think it should be done this way". It goes for about twenty minutes, until owner said: "If you a re such an expert, then go home and do it yourself".
IME, Tobin is the same. If you ask for his help, you will get it unconditionally. But if you start doing: "I think......" then you will get yourself a new one teared up for you.

I work in a similar field to Tobin. I am yet to meet a man who is a master at his trade and a master at customer service. In my experience you get one or the other, never both.

Customer service is important, but some respect and patience from the customer’s site is as well.
As a customer we to soon act like spoiled annoying a...holes.
Social media only makes it worse. If we don’t get what we want, even if it’s over the top, we will complain everywhere in the hope to ruin a hard working men his business...

Back
Top Bottom