DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had the pleasure of any dealings with the man, but through threads like these I am certainly starting to paint myself something of a mental image of the man and his business model...

View attachment 506582

You know what's ironic about that? The line for the soup nazi was around the block... Sometimes... if your product is *really* good... it doesn't matter what your customer service is.

You know what's ironic about that? The line for the soup nazi was around the block... Sometimes... if your product is *really* good... it doesn't matter what your customer service is.
Which is one of the elements that made me think about this comparison. Rabidly devoted fan base, all keenly motivated to stay on the narrow good side of the provider.

Which is one of the elements that made me think about this comparison. Rabidly devoted fan base, all keenly motivated to stay on the narrow good side of the provider.

I love my DSS gear. I could have cared less about personality issues. There are also some fantastically informative posts by Tobin especially on weighting floating around on SB that I am sure will educate people long after DSS is forgotten.

Speaking of DSS. Well now that gear is vintage.... Just wait until the SB folks figure that out :wink:

I heartily disagree with this. If you post something that's unreasonable, the great peeps here will help you see the error of your ways.

Yes forums are different, people on them tend to have a big interest about the topic of the forum. I’m talking about Facebook, trust pilot, trip advisor, ...

Not saying it can’t be useful but in the many years I’m in sales I notice the difference in people’s behaviour and expectations.

This is not true, though it's how he loved to portray SB. There is no penultimate expert on any subject here on SB. Dr Simon Mitchell would be the closest, but even his views change over time. Those who believe that they are the penultimate experts are often bereft of patience when others express opinions that counter theirs. Again, Dr Simon Mitchel is a great example of someone who has reached the top and yet has patience even when some people have agendas to promote their business over the science. You can be an expert and still have patience and empathy. Moreover, if you constantly think of those with a different opinion than you as "whiners", then I would suggest that it's you that have the problem.

Personally, I felt some wings suggested by Tobin were too small. In fact, DSS seemed to promote the "my wing is smaller than your wing" mind set that I am a critic of. I am not suggesting malfeasance or incompetence: it's an opinion. An opinion that others have had and that Tobin often took exception to with a verbal beat down that often had to be removed from public view. That kind of combative assault only resulted in escalation by the other side which often also had to be removed from public view. You don't have to be surly to get your point across and if you are, you should expect others to return your surliness in kind.

You speak only for yourself. I certainly go to great lengths to be accommodating and flexible when it comes to issues with gear. I had a single "pinch flat" on a DSS wing and realized that this is an inherent flaw with BP&Wings when the BP is hard. Subsequently, I moved to BPs which are flexible for single tank back mount. Tobin, took care of that pinch flat in a timely fashion and the cost was reasonable. So, I've never had a single customer issue with DSS, but only heard a stream of complaints from Tobin that I allowed people to have an opinion different than his to post those opinions. Would I do business with Tobin? Of course. His butt plates are impressively simple and elegant. No one has the fit and finish of DSS. No one.

I heartily disagree with this. If you post something that's unreasonable, the great peeps here will help you see the error of your ways. I remember the guy who railed against FlaKeys Dive Center for taking too long to check people in and being too crowded. It was subsequently pointed out that he chose to dive with them on one of the busiest dive days of the year and that 15 minutes to get everyone checked in and on the boat was actually remarkably quick. Especially when you considered it was one of their busiest dive days of the year. In fact, we had to step in and protect the poor guy who made these unreasonable claims from being dogpiled. The whole point of ScubaBoard is to allow people to post stupid stuff and hopefully others will correct them GENTLY. You don't have to fight. You don't have to argue. Make your point. Support your point. Read the counter points and perchance learn something. It shouldn't be a matter of 'who' is right, but rather an issue of 'what' is right. If your ego is all caught up in proving that you are right regardless, then you'll probably be bombastic and surly when others disagree.

Strange, I agree with you on most of what you said above.

Customer service is important, but some respect and patience from the customer’s site is as well.
As a customer we to soon act like spoiled annoying a...holes.
Social media only makes it worse. If we don’t get what we want, even if it’s over the top, we will complain everywhere in the hope to ruin a hard working men his business...

The complaints about him here aren't about his products, his knowledge of the product or even customer service of his customers who are about to buy something from him (in the most part), it is actually more about his conduct on SB and how he dealt with opposing views or criticism.

My confrontations with him here had nothing to do with how he ran his company at all. He was a not so nice person when somebody had something different to say.

Few months before he closed shop, I tried to place an order on his website thinking that it would be a goodwill gesture and a chance for me to experience one of his products. I placed the order including the payment and waited for a confirmation for the order. I waited and waited and after several weeks I received a hostile email from him stating that he won't sell me anything because of my attitude on SB!! I laughed very hard in disbelief after I read his email.

I laughed very hard in disbelief after I read his email.

As I'm laughing now. That makes zero sense. Let it (whatever it was) go.

I received a hostile email from him stating that he won't sell me anything because of my attitude on SB!!
Wow! I didn't think my "no soup for you" analogy was that dead-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom