DSS - Compare to Dive Rite, OMS, Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently, I saw the name DSS very often and I did my search on the net. I want to know if we can compare quality/design/durabilty, etc... with other well known brand such as OMS, Halycon, Dive Rite. :confused:

I feel that they are as good if not better than the other companies. Of course, I've never used any of the others. :) I've heard great thing about all the major BP/W companies. I just feel that for the price, no one can go wrong with a DSS BP/W.

Michael

I have dived, and still own, a few different brands ...

Backplates - suffice it to say I've sold most of my other backplates and settled on the DSS brand. I still own a Dive Rite aluminum plate which I use for my pool/warm water rig ... and a custom Fred T which I use for my salt water technical rig. I use DSS plates for my singles rigs and for my fresh water tech rig. The DSS plate is flatter, and has a shallower channel than just about any other plate out there. Some people like that ... including me ... others don't feel that it makes much difference. The biggest advantage to the DSS plates is the elastomer inserts on the harness slots ... they reduce wear on the harness. I used to change harnesses every 100 dives or so ... now I'm getting 200 to 250 dives on a harness before I have to change it. I also like the screw-in plate weights. They allow you to take some weight off your belt and put it on the plate, which just seems to me a more natural place for it. The only time that's not an advantage is with certain doubles setups that use "head-heavy" tanks (like my 119's). The standard-size DSS plate is slightly shorter than a Halcyon or Dive Rite (about 3/4 of an inch), and the corners are more rounded. For people with hips, this reduces the likelihood of the plate digging into your hips ... only a consideration if you're doing a lot of shore diving where you're walking in your rig getting into and out of the water. Halcyon achieves the same thing by bending the corners slightly. The overall quality of the DSS materials and workmanship are excellent. I would compare it favorably to Halcyon and FredT plates, and better than Dive Rite.

Wings - I've been through a lot of wings, and have settled on DSS, Halcyon and Oxycheq ... I currently own three DSS wings, two Halcyon wings, and one Oxycheq wing.

For doubles, the Torus 49 and Evolve 60 dive pretty much alike, in terms of trim. The major difference is that the Evolve is larger, and has a zipper design that allows you to get to the bladder if it needs repair. The Torus doesn't have a zipper, but it's built so sturdy I don't see that as an issue. What I like better about the Torus is that it comes with multiple mounting holes, so you can adjust the trim of the rig by mounting the wing higher or lower on the rig. The Evolve … like all Halcyon wings … comes with a single set of mounting holes, so you can only mount the wing in one position.

For singles wings, I primarily use my DSS Torus 36# wing. My “backup” singles rig uses a Halcyon Eclipse 40# wing. And my pool/warm water rig uses an Oxycheq 30# Razor. I also own a DSS 18# travel wing, but my ex-wife primarily uses that one, as it’s a bit less lift than I like, even for warm water. The DSS wings are generally longer, narrower, and less bulky than the Halcyon wings … and less expensive. Performance-wise, they’re both excellent wings … as are the Oxycheq wings I’ve tried (both my Razor and the 45# Signature series wing that Cheng uses). Quality-wise, they’re comparable … actually, the DSS wings use a heavier cover and inner bladder material. The other major difference is that the DSS wings don’t use an external single-tank adapter (STA) … they come with an elastomer piece that’s built into the wing to stabilize the tank. An advantage to this approach is that the wing’s extremely easy to remove from the rig for cleaning … you don’t have to unscrew anything like you do with a wing requiring an STA.

For comparison with Dive Rite, I’ve owned both a Rec wing and a Venture wing … and ended up selling both. While I think they’re quality products, I don’t think either wing performs as well, overall, as their DSS, Halcyon, or Oxycheq counterparts. The Rec wing is designed as a “compromise” wing for people who want one wing for both singles and doubles. It accommodates singles through the use of a bungee cord running through a series of “gussets” built into the perimeter of the wing. You tighten the bungee to reduce the “footprint” of the wing for singles, and loosen it to increase the “footprint” for doubles. The disadvantage to this approach is that it makes the wing less than ideal for either singles or doubles. For someone who only wants one wing for both, it’s a reasonable tradeoff … but for someone who wants to use it as either just a singles or just a doubles wing, there are better options. The Venture wing is a nice wing … the only thing I don’t like about it is that they put the rear dump valve on what I consider the wrong side of the wing … and I don’t think it dumps nearly as well as those wings that put it on the other side … as do DSS, Oxycheq and Halcyon. I’m also not a big fan of the pull-dump that Dive Rite uses on their inflator hose … or the length of the hose, for that matter. Other people like them … I think they’re unnecessary and only make using the inflator hose more complicated than it needs to be. None of the other three companies I’ve mentioned use those.

Hope that information helps … ultimately it always boils down to what your goals are, what you dive like, and what you can get the best price on.

… Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've seen and/or used products from all the companies you listed. I'd say DSS is on par with Halcyon in most offerings or better than Halcyon with some products. Both are ahead of current Dive Rite offerings. OMS sells some nice gear, but they sell some stuff I wouldn't get near the water with. I also don't care for their marketing.

Thanks Bob for your comments. I tought DSS was a kind of noname Brand Name because since 3 years I dive, I never saw DSS equipement around me.

NWGratefulDiver:
I have dived, and still own, a few different brands ...

Backplates - suffice it to say I've sold most of my other backplates and settled on the DSS brand. I still own a Dive Rite aluminum plate which I use for my pool/warm water rig ... and a custom Fred T which I use for my salt water technical rig. I use DSS plates for my singles rigs and for my fresh water tech rig. The DSS plate is flatter, and has a shallower channel than just about any other plate out there. Some people like that ... including me ... others don't feel that it makes much difference. The biggest advantage to the DSS plates is the elastomer inserts on the harness slots ... they reduce wear on the harness. I used to change harnesses every 100 dives or so ... now I'm getting 200 to 250 dives on a harness before I have to change it. I also like the screw-in plate weights. They allow you to take some weight off your belt and put it on the plate, which just seems to me a more natural place for it. The only time that's not an advantage is with certain doubles setups that use "head-heavy" tanks (like my 119's). The standard-size DSS plate is slightly shorter than a Halcyon or Dive Rite (about 3/4 of an inch), and the corners are more rounded. For people with hips, this reduces the likelihood of the plate digging into your hips ... only a consideration if you're doing a lot of shore diving where you're walking in your rig getting into and out of the water. Halcyon achieves the same thing by bending the corners slightly. The overall quality of the DSS materials and workmanship are excellent. I would compare it favorably to Halcyon and FredT plates, and better than Dive Rite.

Wings - I've been through a lot of wings, and have settled on DSS, Halcyon and Oxycheq ... I currently own three DSS wings, two Halcyon wings, and one Oxycheq wing.

For doubles, the Torus 49 and Evolve 60 dive pretty much alike, in terms of trim. The major difference is that the Evolve is larger, and has a zipper design that allows you to get to the bladder if it needs repair. The Torus doesn't have a zipper, but it's built so sturdy I don't see that as an issue. What I like better about the Torus is that it comes with multiple mounting holes, so you can adjust the trim of the rig by mounting the wing higher or lower on the rig. The Evolve … like all Halcyon wings … comes with a single set of mounting holes, so you can only mount the wing in one position.

For singles wings, I primarily use my DSS Torus 36# wing. My “backup” singles rig uses a Halcyon Eclipse 40# wing. And my pool/warm water rig uses an Oxycheq 30# Razor. I also own a DSS 18# travel wing, but my ex-wife primarily uses that one, as it’s a bit less lift than I like, even for warm water. The DSS wings are generally longer, narrower, and less bulky than the Halcyon wings … and less expensive. Performance-wise, they’re both excellent wings … as are the Oxycheq wings I’ve tried (both my Razor and the 45# Signature series wing that Cheng uses). Quality-wise, they’re comparable … actually, the DSS wings use a heavier cover and inner bladder material. The other major difference is that the DSS wings don’t use an external single-tank adapter (STA) … they come with an elastomer piece that’s built into the wing to stabilize the tank. An advantage to this approach is that the wing’s extremely easy to remove from the rig for cleaning … you don’t have to unscrew anything like you do with a wing requiring an STA.

For comparison with Dive Rite, I’ve owned both a Rec wing and a Venture wing … and ended up selling both. While I think they’re quality products, I don’t think either wing performs as well, overall, as their DSS, Halcyon, or Oxycheq counterparts. The Rec wing is designed as a “compromise” wing for people who want one wing for both singles and doubles. It accommodates singles through the use of a bungee cord running through a series of “gussets” built into the perimeter of the wing. You tighten the bungee to reduce the “footprint” of the wing for singles, and loosen it to increase the “footprint” for doubles. The disadvantage to this approach is that it makes the wing less than ideal for either singles or doubles. For someone who only wants one wing for both, it’s a reasonable tradeoff … but for someone who wants to use it as either just a singles or just a doubles wing, there are better options. The Venture wing is a nice wing … the only thing I don’t like about it is that they put the rear dump valve on what I consider the wrong side of the wing … and I don’t think it dumps nearly as well as those wings that put it on the other side … as do DSS, Oxycheq and Halcyon. I’m also not a big fan of the pull-dump that Dive Rite uses on their inflator hose … or the length of the hose, for that matter. Other people like them … I think they’re unnecessary and only make using the inflator hose more complicated than it needs to be. None of the other three companies I’ve mentioned use those.

Hope that information helps … ultimately it always boils down to what your goals are, what you dive like, and what you can get the best price on.

… Bob (Grateful Diver)

Safety Stop:
Thanks Bob for your comments. I tought DSS was a kind of noname Brand Name because since 3 years I dive, I never saw DSS equipement around me.

DSS just has not been around that long so you do not see their product as much yet.

One thing that I would add to Bob's concise review is that Tobin (the owner of DSS) is one of the most approachable people in the dive industry. He has personally answered all of my questions and helped me picked the gear that was right for me. His level of customer service is far above the industry as a whole. He really puts allot of time and thought into each of his designs. I own and dive equipment from each of the above manufacturers but DSS has just a little bit of innovative and quality edge on all of them.

DiveRite invented, manufactured, and distributed much of the equipment that the BP/Wer now takes for granted. DiveRite serves its core cave and tech buyer like no other company, accounting for at least half of the market with a complete product line. Their equipment is not intended for the open water tech wannabe. You couldn't pay me to use Halcyon. Oxycheq, is on the leading edge concerning design and materials. DSS makes exellent equipment, backed by personal attention. And OMS is the Chevrolet of the dive equipment business and has a strong Northeast wreck connection.

daniel f aleman:
DiveRite invented, manufactured, and distributed much of the equipment that the BP/Wer now takes for granted.

Very true

DiveRite serves its core cave and tech buyer like no other company

Less true.

accounting for at least half of the market with a complete product line.

Becoming less true daily.

Their equipment is not intended for the open water tech wannabe.

Maybe you better check their prodcut line again. Unless you think the transpac, their other recreational BCs, air intergrated inflators, etc., are targeted to cavers.

You couldn't pay me to use Halcyon.

That's unfortunate. Halcyon makes some great gear. Many items far superior to what Dive Rite is selling. But it's your personal choice, and one shared by many in the cave community.

Dive Rite built a well deserved repultation for building gear for cave divers. Good gear. Unfortunately, due to different things, their gear has fallen behind the curve in a number of areas. They still manufacture and/or sell some terrific products. I love my Dive Rite regs. I also own a Dive Rite Classic wing which has it's issues. Their Nomad has been a huge hit with sidemount divers around here and we've sold more of them than any other kind of BC this year. The Dive Rite drysuit is VERY popular here in cave country. But honestly, things like the wing selections are outdated. The lights are not what they should be, and the reels leave a lot to be desired.

Again, this is no slam on Dive Rite, as I like many of their products and I like the people with the company that I've dealt with. But as with any company, they have a lot of compeition, and that competition is doing some things better right now.

Wow, Perrone, took my words and ran with them, didn't ya'?

Halcyon make good equipment, I'm just not going to give any money to those guys.

DiveRite does what it does, it serves the hard core caver AND other segments of the market. The Transpac is genius, have you ever used one?

As I said, Oxycheq is the company out there doing the most on the edge...

And, the more the competition the better. I'm all for putting Scubapro and Aqualung out of business...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom