DSC VHF Radios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Chuck Husick on BoatUScom

How many Florida Dive operators have upgraded their VHF radios to this version to work with the Nautilus Lifeline Radios? Locally, recently I have seen a diver use the talk function of his radio to get picked up after he did a major navigation oppsie. Yesterday a private boat lost two at sea who with excellent work of the SAR teams and a WHOLE lot of luck their reached up hand was seen by NVG's at like 2040 hours. The divers said they saw the helio's and search boats around them several times. IF they had the diveable VHF they could have talked them in much sooner.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Nautilus Lifeline Marine Radio and GPS

Reactions: Jax
A better question would be: Who monitors channel 70? I have a hard enough time getting other dive boats to answer channel 16 when they are about to run over my divers.....

Wookie--- I thought the new radios switched over and displayed the information on the screen? Is that not the case?

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Re-Read my own link. There are two types. One which has a second receiver bulit in to always monitor 70. So even if they have the new one if not this version the Distress button would not be heard if not set to channel 70 scan. EVen so being able to call the boat looking for you 2 miles away in a search pattern is worth the three hundred beans.

Wookie--- I thought the new radios switched over and displayed the information on the screen? Is that not the case?

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Re-Read my own link. There are two types. One which has a second receiver bulit in to always monitor 70. So even if they have the new one if not this version the Distress button would not be heard if not set to channel 70 scan. EVen so being able to call the boat looking for you 2 miles away in a search pattern is worth the three hundred beans.

It still has to be set up so that it automatically receives DSC calls. I'd bet that there aren't 12 radios on dive boats in Florida that are correctly configured.

Wookie--This is what I was thinking from what I saw. I was speculating it is possible someone would surface in bad weather with nothing in sight.. kick back hit their distress and think the world was coming to them and be very wrong. For $300 clams the shop should give the user a short demo and make sure they understand VHF radios, how this one works and proper radio chat usage. Although this does nothing for the Online buyers perhaps PADI can offer a specialty card for it.. then everyone will take the class for the card.

I've received a DSC call a couple times, but both times their radio wasn't hooked up properly so it was just a alert with no info. Its really annoying because you don't know if they have a real emergency or someone pushed the button to see what it does...

Capt Scotty-- "pushed the button to see what it does" -- this is why I like the Statute for misuse of 911. With the new phase three tracking of GPS enabled phones they can put me within three feet of where the call was made and normally Jr is still around giggling about it.

I imagine there is a similar law for false call for help in Maritime law but not enough Maritime cops to deal with it unfortunatley.

Had to upgrade the boat radio and did buy the dsc enabled radio. I have no one to call though lol

DT--- post the steps to set it up and how much it was?? I am interested as to how much of a commitment it is?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom