Dsat Technical Dive Training- Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now this has me wondering...

It's one thing to post this for opportunity, and then discuss issues. But now that it is clear that the only intention is to draw people to the shop, with no further discussion or input at all by Paul...

Shouldn't this have been posted to an advertising forum rather than TSD?

My starting was Austin-centric and the intent was to raise interest and awareness and I chose not to discuss the issues here prior to the presentation otherwise I would have no audience to present to. (Vanity being a vice of mine, alas.) However I accept that you have your concerns and if I erred in placing this thread, then do forgive me- I shall seek a more appropriate venue to place such things in future should they occur.

Feel free to delete it/ move it as appropriate.

So you can be a cavern diver without ever having been in a cavern?

Sounds great!

How asinine.
Are they handing out dead people to practice CPR on. No more CPR certs til you save a life.

...:rofl3:

Yeah, and we should definitely let our surgeons operate on people without any prior experience other than cadavers. Heck, I'd trust my ASE certified mechanic as long as he read a book and knew some of the terminology. I'd fly any day of the week with a guy who knew how to fly on Microsoft Flight Simulator. And if I worked at a University, I'd hire a coach as long as he was a good coach on the NCAA Gameday 2008 on PS3. Do I need to continue?

I mean, come on, CPR is something that is there to help, you do your best to keep your fellow man alive. Cave and Cavern diving is something you venture into after receiving proper training and knowledge. We don't go in to it trying our best, and at the end of the day, when it goes wrong, just slap our knee and say, well, we did our best!

The point is training. Training is a valid starting point. Not the whole point.
You can learn skills and practice things.
How many dives for the Nitrox cert? 0
How many divers did you really (not practice) save in Rescue class? 0
How many CPR saves for EFR Class? 0
To learn a skill does not take real life experience.
To hone and refine it does. Experience adds to training.
I have practiced dirty bomb explosion training at UT. No bomb, just training. Have I seen one in real life. No. Guess whos coming to help if that happens? You go ahead and wait til the real trained guys get there. Who has that training in Austin? Nobody!
So do the surgeons get the corpses first day? You pick those up at the book store? No. You train and read and learn. Then build on that and add experience. Why do they attend class. Why not just go right to the corpse day one, get right in there.
Your point about surgeons and mechcanics, both trained on skills before handed the keys to the car.

Part of the reason for cavern / cave diving is to explore new areas. These areas should only be reached after receiving proper training. However, while some may be able to attain the necessary equipment and afford the training, extended travel to Florida or Mexico make it cost or time prohibitive. It would be nice to have a local or closer training ground. Lake Travis is suited for training in Nitrox, Deco and even deep to some degree. However, I think that to be properly trained for cavern or cave, you need the real environment and we just do not have that available to us locally.

comparing CPR training to cavern training in Travis is rather silly.

I've dove caverns and travis, I wouldn't recommend anyone take a cavern class in travis.

The point is training. Training is a valid starting point. Not the whole point.
You can learn skills and practice things.
How many dives for the Nitrox cert? 0
How many divers did you really (not practice) save in Rescue class? 0
How many CPR saves for EFR Class? 0
To learn a skill does not take real life experience.
To hone and refine it does. Experience adds to training.
I have practiced dirty bomb explosion training at UT. No bomb, just training. Have I seen one in real life. No. Guess whos coming to help if that happens? You go ahead and wait til the real trained guys get there. Who has that training in Austin? Nobody!
So do the surgeons get the corpses first day? You pick those up at the book store? No. You train and read and learn. Then build on that and add experience. Why do they attend class. Why not just go right to the corpse day one, get right in there.
Your point about surgeons and mechcanics, both trained on skills before handed the keys to the car.

I couldn't disagree with you more
Traning perpares you as much as it can, then you start off slow and when you gain experience and learn more you pick up the pace.

I've continued to learn way beyond my training.

Nitrox is not skill based, its knowledged based
Cavern is both skill and knowledged based.

When you are in cavern class and running the reel on dry land thats preparing you, teaching you, but have you truely LEARNED what its like to run a reel in a cavern, how about a BIG one running a reel IN FLOW.

Nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom