Drysuit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate undergarment, and I use a 200g vest over that. With a layer of light fleece as a base, that's good for up to 80 minutes in water above 50 degrees, and 50 to 60 in water in the high 40's. I wish I were warmer.

I used a Weezle last year a few times. It was VERY warm, but I couldn't deal with the buoyancy issues related to how much it has to loft to work well. I'm considering trying to borrow it again, though, now that I've got a lot more experience, and see if I feel the same way.

JeffG:
I'm a suit air hog anyways, so that part is not much of an issue.

If a diver travels via planes a lot. The Weezle packs better too. Packs very small.

LOL~~~~.

That's ture.... The Weezle pack is used as my travel pillow.....:D

I just got the Bare hi-loft today. I'm actually wearing it right now to see how hot I get, and it's pretty darn hot. It's also pretty comfortable. I like the stretch panels in it, and being a girl, I can definitely appreciate the zipper at the butt to make peeing after a dive much easier and quicker. :D Don't think the guys ones have that though. I'm taking it out on its first dive tomorrow night, so I can let you know what it's like underwater. I dive BC waters as well. :)

Ok, so I'm back from testing out the hi-loft. It's brilliant. Kept me nice and toasty warm for most of the dive (I was also wearing a wicking layer and a light layer of fleece underneath though). It doesn't restrict your movement and best of all, even when I didn't have any air in my suit, i was only chilly, not cold. Anyway, make sure to add a couple pounds. I was a bit light tonight. Anyway, I am pleased with it, and I would recommend it.

creamofwheat:
Ok, so I'm back from testing out the hi-loft. It's brilliant. Kept me nice and toasty warm for most of the dive (I was also wearing a wicking layer and a light layer of fleece underneath though). It doesn't restrict your movement and best of all, even when I didn't have any air in my suit, i was only chilly, not cold. Anyway, make sure to add a couple pounds. I was a bit light tonight. Anyway, I am pleased with it, and I would recommend it.

Thanks Cream,

Trying mine for the first time in the morning!

Bare Hi-Loft Polar Extreme is what I wear here in NJ. You'll love 'em.

I assume the hi-loft means that they reccommend one uses a bit more air to loft the undies huh? I usually like to dive with a bit of squeeze when I use my polar fleece undies but of course more squeeze on fleece means less warmth at depth as the fleece compresses. Should get less or none of that with the thinsulate right?

scubadobadoo:
I assume the hi-loft means that they reccommend one uses a bit more air to loft the undies huh? I usually like to dive with a bit of squeeze when I use my polar fleece undies but of course more squeeze on fleece means less warmth at depth as the fleece compresses. Should get less or none of that with the thinsulate right?

I dive with a squeeze, and it's all good in the Bare.

I was in the water floating about for about 1.5-2 hours waiting for some students to get their act together. I was wearing the bare hi-loft for the first time with only a t-shirt and pants underneath. I was slightly chilled at the end of it all but that's impressive considering that i had no air in my suit the whole time and wasn't particularly active. For my second dive i put a light sweater underneath the hi-loft - after a good 47 minute dive (doesn't include surface swimming) with no air in the suit again I was nice and toasty. I'm excited for when I remember to add on some more weight and actually get to have air in my suit too!

Glad I found this thread. My current undergarment is too small and doesn't allow a full range of movement (I've been trying to reach my valve my reaching back like the tech guys need to, and it's impossible). My excuse is I got it for cheap when I bought my used drysuit! Anyway, the Bare Hi-Loft sounds promising. I'd like something where I don't need to add much air to the suit... half the time end up with buoyancy issues at the end of a dive (floaty legs mostly). I'd like to get something soon, the LDS is closed for a week, and I've bought so much gear there I don't mind going online for this, so I'd like something easy to buy online. I'd also like something that fits my size well (tall and skinny - 6'3", 185lbs, 32-33" waist, 34" insteam).

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom