Drysuit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's got to be one seriously hot puppy. I have the Viking undergarment you just mentioned and I can't dive with it most of the time. I tried it a month ago and I might as well been diving wet for all the sweating I did in it. It's not something I use until the outside temps approach 20 f and we're cutting holes in ice. I can't imagine anything warmer, and for less money to boot.

Based on what you said I'd be inclined to tell divers who get cold to buy what you have, that's some serious protection.

cummings66:
That's got to be one seriously hot puppy. I have the Viking undergarment you just mentioned and I can't dive with it most of the time. I tried it a month ago and I might as well been diving wet for all the sweating I did in it. It's not something I use until the outside temps approach 20 f and we're cutting holes in ice. I can't imagine anything warmer, and for less money to boot.

Yeah, everyone has different thermal requirements. I use 400g thinsulate year-round in Massachusetts, since our water gets about about 50 degrees. It sucks getting geared up in 90 degree weather, I'll tell you that much, but when the water is 40 degrees, I'm happy for it.

Soggy:
Yeah, everyone has different thermal requirements. I use 400g thinsulate year-round in Massachusetts, since our water gets about about 50 degrees. It sucks getting geared up in 90 degree weather, I'll tell you that much, but when the water is 40 degrees, I'm happy for it.

I am in Houston texas, I break mine out when the lakes get in the high 50s. I am pulling off 120 min dives and I prefer to dive with no loft in the my suit at all. very warm and comfortable UG well worth the money.

Dave

Have a look at the ad here in the "Classifieds" section: Thinsulate Undies $75 - $125
We have used undies from size "00" through "04", in conditions ranging from "fair" to "as-new". I think there's a B400 in "near new" condition, though if a person is getting only 1 set, I'd recommend the B200 because the B400 may be too warm in many instances.
1undies.jpg

Quick gear report - 90 min dive with the bare hi-loft in 48f water. Dove with very little air inthe suit and a light sweater underneath - came out of the water at a reasonable temperature.

scubadobadoo:
I'll eventually report back on my first dive with the Bare Hi-Loft when the weather cooperates! Hopefully Saturday...

I tried to dive off the beach in Coney Island again this past Saturday but called the dive due to lack of viz and some heavy surf. I got out past the rocks about 200 yards or so but aborted the dive and didn't really get a chance to get a feel for the Bare Hi-Loft other than on the surface. The only thing I can say for now is that it wicks very well. It's a very long walk from the street to the water in full gear and I was totally dry on the inside and had a nice wet outer shell from all the sweating. Was it warm? Yeah but the water was only in the mid 50's and it was a heck of a workout getting to the water so more later when I really dive it.

I dive with a Northern Diver Flectalon undersuit.

Its by far the best investment I've made in any piece of dive gear.

Warm even when the suit is partially flooded. Retains loft when squeezed, light weight, very warm and has held up well over past two years. Its filled with some sort of foil strips.

Of course everyone tend to love whatever undersuit they dive with - and there plenty of other good ones out there as well.

Cheers,
Rohan.

So far all i have is the Bare t100 and whatever Divetank gave me with my suit , i wore the t100 in mid to low 50degree water this weekend without problem.

Soggy:
They are made of the same material (fleece lined B-400 thinsulate), so warmth wise they are about the same. My old undergarment was a Viking B400 and I would say that, when new, they are about the same warmth. Unfortunately, my arctic plus is now about the thickness of a 100g thinsulate, so wasn't keeping me warm any more.

The Santi undergarment does have a nice overlapping flap and high collar, and a slightly thicker fleece lining, so it is probably a little warmer.

I received my 200g Santi in the mail yesterday. It looks incredibly well made. The thinsulate is quilted into the garment like Diving Concepts'. The fit is great and the stretch panels provide good mobility. Oddly enough, mine came without hip pockets or a high collar even though the only modifications I asked for were suspenders and a hole in the thigh for a pee valve hose. Cost delivered was about $320.

Put in my order for a Santi 400g 2 days ago. Can't wait till it's here. You do still have to wire money to them from the states, and total with wire transfer fee and shipping to TX for 400g was $392 - hoping it's all well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom