Drysuit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally got all the way into the water today at Beach 8th in Queens with my new Bare Hi-Loft undies. I like them a lot. I wouldn't say they are significantly warmer than the multiple layers of Softwear custom (malden mills) fleece undies I have but they were warmer. The big dif. was at depth. The Bare undies didn't compress as much as the fleece so I was a bit warmer at depth. One hour exactly at about 52 degrees, 50 feet, 3 ft of viz. The viz was so bad that I could barely figure out where I was at times and diving like that means I am concentrating on other things than my undies and the cold. I was a bit chilled by the end of the dive and ready to get out but not frozen. Then again, 52 isn't super cold so it's hard to tell for sure.

As for bouyancy characteristics, the Bare required about the same weight as the many layers (about 500grams worth) of fleece and maybe even 2 pounds less than before. I also feel less like the stay puff marshmellow man in the Bare despite the Hi-Loft claim. I would compare them to the DUI 400 thinsulate suit in terms of thickness and quality. My friend was diving the DUI 400 and it actually looked a bit more puffy than my Bare and I personally prefer the construction on the Bare with the stretch panels and the outer fabric seems more durable as well. As for the loft, I like to dive a bit squeezed and didn't feel like the Bare NEEDED more air to keep me warm although a tiny always helps, especially with the fleece. JMHO.

SO, Thinsulate is a bit (not a ton) warmer than fleece in this case and less bulky than the many layers. It also compresses less. I will be using the Bare Hi-loft from now on for the most part. I also prefer the jump suit instead of the two piece top/bottom option. The two piece always comes and my back gets colder. For just over 200 bucks, the Bare Hi-Loft thinsulate suit is hard to beat.

Nonetheless, in the end, if you are cold natured, cold water is still cold:D and nothing has yet been invented that will keep me TOASTY WARM in a trilam type dry suit once the temp drops below 55 or so.

Just a little review from this cold natured northern implant from Florida....:wink:

I'm tellnig ya man, wear some long johns underneath. Doing that kept we nice and warm for about 1.5 hours in 46 degee water the other day. It pleased me.

S. starfish:
I'm tellnig ya man, wear some long johns underneath. Doing that kept we nice and warm for about 1.5 hours in 46 degee water the other day. It pleased me.
Actually I was wearing 100 gram fleece top and bottoms under it. I just didn't mention that part. I usually always wear poypro long johns or the expo weight fleece long johns and while I find they help, they don't change my life.:wink:

I got this https://cdsportswear.com/wf_style1.htm Carol Davis Sportwear jumbsuit for my wife as the against the skin layer, along with the 400g version insulation from USIA with her dry suit.

She has been very comfortable with the combination-warm but with flexibility--and is still happy to go diving which is the best result, as she hates being cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom