Drysuit training day tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure your seals are on properly, and there are no wrinkles. My first pool dive in OW was the only time I've ever flooded my drysuit; that time, I didn't put on the latex seals properly.

Also, make sure you know which way to twist the valve to close and open it. Hasn't happened to me, but happened to one of my dive buddies :banghead:

And if its a rental suit make sure the person who used it last didn't close the dump all the way...the last dive i did with a rental decided he would close it....now i have my own and i do not have to worry about it.

Enjoy learning to dive in your drysuit. Once you get things sorted, you'll wonder why you didn't go dry earlier!

Meanwhile, I have to bring up some hot button issues:

1) Using the suit or BC for buoyancy. Some Instructors use the suit, some use the BC. There are "pros" and "cons" to each method, not one is "right" and the other "wrong"! Just relax & get proficient in whichever method you prefer.

2) Ankle weights. Why people think there is a difference between using this or heavier fins, is beyond me. People, it's the same thing! In the end, if you need some extra weight to combat the air shift in your legs, use whichever is easiest for you. Personally, I was able to dump my ankle weights once I moved from a 5mm neoprene suit to a trilam by the change from built-in booties to lace-up Rock Boots. The Rock Boots act like gators, which are another option for people who dive membrane suits.

3) Weighting. You WILL need more weight with a drysuit vs a wetsuit. Try distributing it along your body for better trim & comfort. For example, instead putting it all on your weight belt, you may want to consider putting some on the belt, changing to a steel tank (or steel backplate & wing), putting on ankle weights, putting some in the BC, etc.

Bonne chance,

Tips: If you add air to the drysuit for squeeze relief (which you will), the buoyancy will need to be dealt with. So, like it or not, you need to use a combination of both to maintain good buoyancy control. My personal rule is to use as little air in the suit as possible and use the BC for the rest.
Use ankle weights if you need them. Once you really gain confidence and become more proficient, you will be able to determine if you still need them or not.
Fix the leak in your boot.
Don't panic, after a few dives you will likely never go back to cold water, wet suit diving again.

Glad to see others chime in - why, why, why do the "big" agencies (and possibly others) continue to teach bouyancy with the DS?????? :confused:My guess is that it might be a task loading issue for "new' divers, but it just doesn't make sense to me (and I am not a technical trained diver)......

keep in mind, you will need to do what your instructor tells you in the class. After that, figure out and do what works best....

Back
Top Bottom