Drysuit (shell) and weight.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday I finally dove my drysuit.

I'm going to guess I was WAY over the weight.

I'm 205 pounds, dive a steel 100, and use a Cressi hybrid BC. Yesterday I used 42 pounds in freshwater. I noticed when I leaned forward air would come up the back of the neck seal. Have I damaged the suit?

Here is the pic of my Michelin Man audition shot.

coming.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

42 lbs? 20% of weight seems awfully overweighted, esp with steel tanks. Even for a Dry Suit. Is your BFP (Body Fat Percentage) above 30?

I would concur wholeheartedly. You're supposed to look more like a raisin than a grape underwater! :rofl3:
I noticed when I leaned forward air would come up the back of the neck seal. Have I damaged the suit?
What kind of neck seal is it, latex or neoprene? (I can't quite tell from the photo.) Either way, I wouldn't venture a guess without you trying it with *much* less air in the thing.
I think you pretty much hit it on the head with your "less weight" assumption (unless the photo was creatively done). That's basically so significant that it's hard for me to make other guesses. (I have no idea how you'd manage that much air.)

(I can't even make myself have mickey hands without holding my arm over my head.)

I would concur wholeheartedly. You're supposed to look more like a raisin than a grape underwater! :rofl3:What kind of neck seal is it, latex or neoprene? (I can't quite tell from the photo.) Either way, I wouldn't venture a guess without you trying it with *much* less air in the thing.I think you pretty much hit it on the head with your "less weight" assumption (unless the photo was creatively done). That's basically so significant that it's hard for me to make other guesses. (I have no idea how you'd manage that much air.)

(I can't even make myself have mickey hands without holding my arm over my head.)

It's latex, and looks fine.

WOW! I take it your variable exhaust valve was 100% closed? That definitely appears overweighted. Did you have any air in the BC?

Yesterday I finally dove my drysuit.

I'm 205 pounds, dive a steel 100, and use a Cressi hybrid BC. Yesterday I used 42 pounds in freshwater. I noticed when I leaned forward air would come up the back of the neck seal. Have I damaged the suit?

You're right about being overweighted.

Do a weight check and you'll find out exactly how much you need.

Are you planning to do a weight check? Only takes a few minutes in shallow water. :D

Dave C

Yes most definately I plan on doing a weight check.

With the BC empty I was still floating. Obviously I had to much air in the suit.

That much air in the suit indicates severe overweighting. 42 pounds in fresh (less buoyant than saltwater) also sounds like way too much.

Were you wearing a fur coat as your undergarment to require so much weight?!

FWIW, I need about 28 pounds in salt water with a single steel 120, alu plate and the pinnacle temperate undergarment.

And I know that this is OT, but your rig looks like it has loops and danglies galore. Potential for entanglement and additional drag. You may want to invest in some shorter hoses and bungy your octo and put the primary on a longer hose.

Back
Top Bottom