Drysuit seals - in or out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... I was actually thinking that if wrist seals were tucked, so they went up the arm instead of down, they would be less on top of the part of my wrist where the tendons might stand out, so they would be less likely to get a channel. ...
Channeling is a big issue with me, -tendons when working on something or collecting mussels. Best for me is a bottle seal (see pic) that is flat and right below the wrist and above the tendons. I most definitely need some sort of lubricant for this type of seal.

Neck is the exact opposite. Best for me is neoprene (foam) with two inches folded in. Flat does not work for me, it channels.

Bottle Seal.jpg

Not to my knowledge

The lube is more viscous and stays on the seals while I get ready and is in my DS bag. The Baby shampoo is in my mask box and the first thing that comes to hand when I get back on the boat and also easier to apply under the dry seals.

hats the only real reason, I guess the two are interchangeable depends whats at hand

Since switching to si-tech silicone I've had a neck seal fail and one wrist seal, the neck seal I had trimmed and that gave it the start point for tearing, I no longer trim silicone seals. I use talc to help slide them on and wear them flat, taking them off I just grab the edge and stretch to get my head through the neck seal which has plenty of room for this but the wrist seals take a little more work to get started over my hands, only tore one and it failed taking it off. Changing them is easy and only takes a minute for the wrist, the neck is a little more involved with the tension ring and roller, maybe 5 min.

It's probably a good idea to use some sort of lube to help get wrist seals off but over never bothered.

@stuartv , thing to watch out if you inflate your suit only for squeeze, water might push seals from your arm vs down to it if you turn them over. Think like duck valve on DSMB.

@stuartv , thing to watch out if you inflate your suit only for squeeze, water might push seals from your arm vs down to it if you turn them over. Think like duck valve on DSMB.

If so, then wouldn't it work the same way and make neoprene seals leak?

If I understood correctly, you want to push wrist seals as far as they can go up your arm, folding then under your sleeve, not under themselves,which basically makes them a duck valve. When you roll neoprene, you roll small amount, so water pressure is still pushing them in below the roll.
Your sleeve is stiffer than your seals, so it wont give up to water pressure as easy as seal will, so it won't be against your arm as seal would. That means water will come between your arm and your seal, pushing it out. I don't have any proof of this, just thinking of "what if"?

If I understood correctly, you want to push wrist seals as far as they can go up your arm, folding then under your sleeve, not under themselves,which basically makes them a duck valve. When you roll neoprene, you roll small amount, so water pressure is still pushing them in below the roll.
Your sleeve is stiffer than your seals, so it wont give up to water pressure as easy as seal will, so it won't be against your arm as seal would. That means water will come between your arm and your seal, pushing it out. I don't have any proof of this, just thinking of "what if"?

No, I'm just talking about tucking them under like you do with a neoprene seal.

No, I'm just talking about tucking them under like you do with a neoprene seal.
You do not turn up or tuck neoprene wrist seals, they lie flat. You turn in/tuck a neoprene neck seal. I put lube on the neck seal once it is on so I can turn my head without causing ruffling and so leaks.

I find neoprene seals comfortable and effective.

On the other hand anyone who can 100% guarantee to stop water getting past an exhaust valve I want to know :)

Of course, the beauty of all of this is that, @stuartv, this thread gives you a number of things to pay attention to as you experiment with different strategies and come up with whatever works best for you. :)

The right way is the one that gets you the best results.

Back
Top Bottom