Drysuit Pockets on the Side for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you keep your backup stuff -- mask, SMB, reel, etc.?
in sidemount it is common to use a butt pouch/purse thing that clips off to the rear rings/rails. Not quite as big as a pair of big bellows pockets, but big enough.

Don't worry about pockets. They won't cause problems. I run big exploration pockets with no issues. I also belt mount my can light like in bm which people swear also doesn't work in sm. Nobody has ever felt my tanks a-fram or sit odd.

in sidemount it is common to use a butt pouch/purse thing that clips off to the rear rings/rails. Not quite as big as a pair of big bellows pockets, but big enough.

Murse. :D

Keen to hear if anybody has used pocket that are towards the back rather than side or front. They should be accessible even with 4 cylinders that take all the space on the sides and front.

pocket that are towards the back rather than side or front.
My first thought is that they would be a pain to access - try touching the back of your legs while kitted, it takes a lot of energy and stretch for me. I can only imagine trying to fish stuff out by feel inside pockets attached to the back of the thigh. Alternatively, a lot of buttplates already come with pockets or attachable pockets. Maybe look into that instead for a more modular and versatile kit?

Also as a follow-up a year or so later - I got bellowed pockets on the sides and wore LP85s sidemounted a good portion from then til now. I'd say that having the pockets on the side was a minor nuisance when full. Tanks make contact with the pockets more than I'd want and sometimes push flashlights and stuff against me between kicks. Not really uncomfortable, but not fantastic either. Also I've had push-button backup lights turn on accidentally a ton more with these pockets, so keep that in mind if you're looking into this.

A large butt-pouch is your friend.

Reach back, disconnect it and bring it round the front (clip it to the chest D-ring), retrieve/stow whatever you need, then move it around to your backside again.

Quick with a bit of practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom