Drysuit Pockets on the Side for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addison Snyder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Context is that I've ordered a seaskin, waited 6 1/2 months, and a couple days before they ship it, I got an email telling me that they can't fit the pockets on the front of the thighs because of the size of my legs. I'm primarily a sidemount diver, and have been diving a crappier drysuit with front pockets. I almost always use steel tanks.

So, how big of a deal is that? Are side pockets no good with sidemount, or are they bearable?

The answer is it depends. I have 2 drysuits. A HOG and an Otter. The first the pockets are more on the side and depending on how many cylinders I'm carrying it's not a problem to access them with just one cylinder on each side. Using 85s or 95s it helps to turn and let cylinder swing away from me. With multiple bottles it can be a pain but that's why i have a butt pouch and front pouch on the harness for often accessed items.
On the Otter suit, the pockets are more towards the front but not right in front. They are easier to access than the hog with extra bottles but I still use the pouches.

They’re fine on your sides. There really shouldn’t be much bulk in them anyway. Worst case use a butt pouch.

I'm sure it's something that varies by person, but I can access my normally mounted drysuit pockets when diving sidemount. I've got a BARE rather than seaskin, so they might be different.

I was mostly worried about the effort it takes to push the tanks when doing a frog-kick. Steel overfilled tanks that lean into your legs, and with an extra inch or two of pockets, I imagined that the effort with every kick would be even higher. The drysuit has been shipped, so I'm just going to have to wait and see.

I don't have pockets on my drysuits and on the Deep6 wetsuits that have slightly forward pockets, I can't stand them and try not to use them.
If they are normal positioned pockets with anything in them, the tanks will a-frame away from your body which is obnoxious and can be uncomfortable and getting stuff out of them is nearly impossible.

In sidemount there shouldn't be much in the pockets anyway since you have tons of space on your butt to clip things off, so just use a butt pouch.
All of my spools, dsmb, etc. are clipped directly to the rails. In the butt pouch is spare mask, wet notes, any tools, backup light, etc. Not much to leave in the pockets after that which is why my drysuits don't have them.

If they are normal positioned pockets with anything in them, the tanks will a-frame away from your body which is obnoxious
This is dumb, but I couldn't figure out why my tanks were angled out like that until I read this comment. Tried empty pockets this weekend. Game changer. Thank you!

Can fit small stuff in side-leg affixed pockets with sidemount. Spare mask, maybe wetnotes, spare spool. Just not much.

The rest of it goes into a butt-pouch. SMBs, etc.

Obviously it depends upon your shape. If you've a wide chest, the tins will not A-frame out as much. Also if the tins are mounted a little higher, then they may sit above the pockets.

Sidemounted bailout cylinders on CCR - does look like the (very full) pocket's being pushed down a bit.
Sidemounted bailout 3.jpg

Sidemounted bailout 1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom