Drysuit Certification when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update...

Does anyone know how Sat is looking in terms of diving? The weather looks like it will be cloudy on Sat with Sun being the rainy day...

On a sad note, I woke up with the bug this morning. I am trying to fight it before this Sat but I don't know if I'll make it.... :(

MG

Its a little far out to be sure, but things dont sound bad as of now, lookout for the wind... too bad im oncall this weekend :(.

SAT
E WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING S 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES
1 TO 4 FT. MIXED SWELL NW 2 TO 3 FT AND S 3 FT. RAIN LIKELY.

Anyone have a good guide on how to read these reports? Like which pieces mean what type of conditions, what values are good/bad etc.

This is what I'm getting from the report:
Winds will be coming from the east at 5 to 10 knots which is more than a breeze but not too bad.

The wind is expected to shift and come from the south at 15 to 25 knots which is windy for sure.

The waves are going to be caused by wind and are 1 to 4 feet high. Not sure if 4ft is good or bad.

I take it mixed swell has something to do with the wind and normal swelling? And those are suppose to be 2 to 3 ft. Doesn't seem bad but how does that effect things? And what do the directions tell us?

Rain likely means nothing to me as I dive wet anyways :wink:

I've also seen reports that include periods. Are those for swells, waves, both, or something else? Is short or long periods favorable?

Figured I should learn this stuff. I live too far to stick my head out the window and go "yep good day" :D

Anyone have a good guide on how to read these reports? Like which pieces mean what type of conditions, what values are good/bad etc.

This is what I'm getting from the report:
Winds will be coming from the east at 5 to 10 knots which is more than a breeze but not too bad.

The wind is expected to shift and come from the south at 15 to 25 knots which is windy for sure.

The waves are going to be caused by wind and are 1 to 4 feet high. Not sure if 4ft is good or bad.

I take it mixed swell has something to do with the wind and normal swelling? And those are suppose to be 2 to 3 ft. Doesn't seem bad but how does that effect things? And what do the directions tell us?

Rain likely means nothing to me as I dive wet anyways :wink:

I've also seen reports that include periods. Are those for swells, waves, both, or something else? Is short or long periods favorable?

Figured I should learn this stuff. I live too far to stick my head out the window and go "yep good day" :D

Chuck made this a while back. Monterey Bay Sea Conditions - Some Examples

We should make a link to this a sticky

Conditions at the moment don't look half bad for Monterey. I'm still planning to be there. Now I just have to convince the buddies. I have a new set of doubles I really want to shake down.

I'd say this weekend is looking quite good! Swells between 4-8ft, some coming in from a southerly direction, and the CDIP model is currently agreeing with the forecasts from buoy data. Sunday swells look like they may be even more from the south, which affords us Monterey shore divers greater protection.

Of course, I've seen enough good vis in bad conditions (and vice versa) even in my short diving history to know you only know what you're gonna get when you actually hit the deflate button.
.SAT...SE WINDS 5 TO 15 KT...BECOMING S 20 TO 30 KT.
WIND WAVES 3 TO 8 FT. MIXED SWELL NW 4 TO 6 FT AND S 2 TO 7 FT.
A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN.
.SUN...S WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 5 FT.
NW SWELL 4 TO 8 FT AND SW 2 TO 6 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.

I'd say this weekend is looking quite good! Swells between 4-8ft, some coming in from a southerly direction, and the CDIP model is currently agreeing with the forecasts from buoy data. Sunday swells look like they may be even more from the south, which affords us Monterey shore divers greater protection.

Are you going to join us ken???

I still haven't heared is Sarah is either.

I know it sounds like we are going to have a good turnout.

Are you going to join us ken???

I still haven't heared is Sarah is either.

I know it sounds like we are going to have a good turnout.

/me starts packing up the zip ties, duct tape, and adult size duffel bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom