Drysuit boots vs socks: a slightly different question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm debating getting attached boots replaced with either neoprene socks or smaller boots to fit better. I have searched and found a number of threads on the subject.

I saw several posts from different that all boiled down to something like this: I have two drysuits. For shore dives with a rocky entry, I use a suit with neo socks and rock boots over them. But, for boat dives, I use a suit with Turbo soles (a specific brand of attached boots, I think) because I don't like the limited flexibility of rock boots.

So, the question I have is: Why wouldn't you just have neoprene socks on your drysuit and use rock boots for rocky shore dives, and use a wetsuit bootie with a sole like the Turbo soles for boat dives? Maybe even one size bootie for warmer water with less layers of socks and a bigger size bootie for cold water with more layers of socks?

I realize that some people prefer an attached boot for the convenience of donning and the fact that you can't take your drysuit and forget the boots if they are attached. So, other than that, why would you buy two drysuits just to have an option that doesn't limit flexibility like rock boots? Or IS that the reason?

I'm leaning towards getting socks put on my drysuit. It seems like that would let me use whatever amount of insulation is appropriate for conditions while still having a snug fit, and whatever amount of ankle support is appropriate, all by just having a couple of different pairs of boots/booties and fins to fit. Worst case, 2 pairs of rock boots and 2 pairs of booties for every combination of warm/cold water and boat/shore entry. Plus probably 2 pairs of fins (which I already have anyway). One L and one XL.

But, I've only owned or used a suit with attached boots, so I fear that I don't know what I don't know about going with attached socks instead of boots.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. :)

most of the cave divers that I know have gone to socks with an oversized neoprene bootie over it, myself included. I will never buy a suit with integrated boots again *had two, both were annoying, though they were USIA's hard boots, not turbosoles*.

Why wouldn't you just have neoprene socks on your drysuit and use rock boots for rocky shore dives, and use a wetsuit bootie with a sole like the Turbo soles for boat dives?

Why the "rock boots" for rocky shore dives and not the wetsuit boots for both types of entries? I dive from VERY rocky shore entries and use wetsuit boots with thick sole (thick during the winter and light during summer). What would the "rock boots" offer that the wetsuit boots don't?

Why the "rock boots" for rocky shore dives and not the wetsuit boots for both types of entries? I dive from VERY rocky shore entries and use wetsuit boots with thick sole (thick during the winter and light during summer). What would the "rock boots" offer that the wetsuit boots don't?

usually more ankle support due to being lace up. Much more to do with the uppers than the actual soles

usually more ankle support due to being lace up. Much more to do with the uppers than the actual soles

I understand but going over rocks especially with very small and sharp edges and barnacles is very painful if the soles aren't thick. The "built in" boots with the drysuit are totally out in this scenario. It has been a very long time since I used "rock boots" but my faded memory about them was that they didn't protect my foot when walking over these rocky entries.
The soles were very thin.

You are going to get varying opinions. Personally, I absolutely love having integrated boots. First a Northern Diver CNX 25 dry suit, and now a DUI CLX450 suit that I love, love, love. In between I had a ScubaPro Evertec off the rack. I'm a size 10 shoe, and there was so much excess material that stuck over the boot that it was annoying. While the DUI boot isn't as thick as the ND, it works overall and I'm quite happy with it. Though in the Pacific Northwest, I'm not walking over sharp rocks. I cannot say what it would feel like if I did.

@stuartv - so glad you brought this topic up.

I have a drysuit (bought used) that is otherwise 95% perfect (it is now that I am slimming down enough to fit it anyway) with neoprene boots fitted and was thinking about changing them out for socks (with boots to suit).

My main issue with the boots is they are huge - will force me to have a second set of fins just due to boot size (UK 12/ US14) and trying to find and try on fins at that size is near impossible due to the size of the foot pocket. The fact that the boot is pretty hard doesn't help.

If I go for the socks and either wetsuit booties (or possibly chuck taylors), would my current wetsuit booties fit over the socks? They are a reasonably snug fit on bare feet.

no, you'll have to go up a size in wetsuit booties, I have the same size feet, but mine are extra wide so the NRS kayak booties are the only ones that fit me properly. Poseidon has some nifty neoprene chuck taylors out that work well if they fit you. They are too narrow for my feet though. Fins for that size foot with rock boots are easy though, that is what the XXL Jet Fins and OMS Slipstreams were designed for. Plenty of room!

No store I know of here within reasonable distance stocks anything bigger than an XL over here so it makes it near impossible to try them.

If I were to only need one size up in booties, it would probably work ok with my current fins (would probably just fit ). The problem items - link

No store I know of here within reasonable distance stocks anything bigger than an XL over here so it makes it near impossible to try them.

If I were to only need one size up in booties, it would probably work ok with my current fins (would probably just fit ). The problem items - link

Seems to me you could even consider maybe going up one size but also getting thinner (like, say, 3mm) booties. I think most drysuit socks are 3mm neoprene(?). With warm socks on the inside, 3mm neo socks, and 3mm booties, it seems like that would be enough to keep you warm. Maybe even two layers of socks on the inside. My gut says that thicker on the inside, where it's dry, and thinner on the outside is better than the Converse (see what I did there? LOL)

Back
Top Bottom