Are Rock Boots necessary with neoprene socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once grabbed two fins out of my suv for a boat dive not realizing I had one large and one xl. Not until we were tied in to the wreck did I discover this. My otter suit (which is for sale cheap) has neoprene booties. I dived with one rockboot with the xl fin and one large fin on the neoprene sock. People laughed, I adjusted my kick, the dive went fine.
Made sure after that to always check which fins I was grabbing.
You're not the only one... I was wondering why the hell one foot was so damn tight!

I once grabbed two fins out of my suv for a boat dive not realizing I had one large and one xl. Not until we were tied in to the wreck did I discover this. My otter suit (which is for sale cheap) has neoprene booties. I dived with one rockboot with the xl fin and one large fin on the neoprene sock. People laughed, I adjusted my kick, the dive went fine.
Made sure after that to always check which fins I was grabbing.

You're not the only one... I was wonder why the hell one foot was so damn tight!
This is why you get your fins in different colors for different sizes.
Yellow = XL
Red = reg/large
Pink = small (wife)
Black = look carefully because there's no guarantee

This is why you get your fins in different colors for different sizes.
Yellow = XL
Red = reg/large
Pink = small (wife)
Black = look carefully because there's no guarantee
Lol... I have black. Just ~ 17 pairs of black. (well.. mostly black:)

I actually almost screwed up on a boat Sun and had 2 different fins, both the same size, but the adjustment screws were in different spots and I never moved mine. Almost the same scenario.

I need to mark them already:(

A friend of mine wears Salomon water shoes and think's they're great.

After diving a drysuit for 20 years, I conclude that some kind of foundation is needed for stability in walking and sock protection. walking around in socks, especially if they are a bit large is cumbersome at best and could increase a stumbling hazard. Some have suggested Chuck Taylor or some other boot. This apporach works for the folks I know who use them. Another neoprene bootie can also be used. I suggest that whatever alternative you chose you test it waering full gear before actually going diving with it.

Depending on your DS, low or mid-height shoes can allow a balloon around the ankles which can cause floaty feet. Depends on how high and how form-fitting the socks are.

If you want to give the Altama mids that @rob.mwpropane was talking about a try, Botach has some size/colors starting at $40 Botach®
The mids allowed my fabric, not neoprene, socks to balloon on my Fusion so I ordered the new high version recently, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I now wear mids with thin neoprene socks for warm-water wet travel.

Rock boots are totally overkill. I would recommend bringing your drysuit to a local dive shop, put it on, and try on a bunch of wetsuit booties. Pick the cheapest one that fits comfortably. The thick neoprene sock plus a thin merino sock, makes it difficult to size correctly.

For example, my bare foot fits fine in a size 10 Deep6 3mm booty. With my drysuit sock, I can barely get on the same booty in size 12, and once I get it on, it feels floppy at the toe. I guess this is because the neoprene sock widens your foot more than it lengthens it (proportionally). Point is, buying booties online for the thick neoprene socks is a bit of a dice roll, better to buy that particular item in-person.

I really enjoy these. They're low cut like sneakers, but heavy duty grip. They were a little tight so I took the soles out and now they're perfect. I have a wide size 13 foot (but obviously they come in different sizes). I would look around, you can find better pricing. I've seen them for ~ $70 elsewhere.
Ok, I didn't get them for $70, but I did have a couple pair of different sizes arrive today and I am delighted. I'm a pretty exact 9, and with a 4E socks + my nicely fitting crushed neoprene socks, I fit pretty perfectly in a 10 Wide. I may also take the footbeds out as it adds a bit of room.

The thing I really love is they aren't too big that I can probably use them as normal footwear for traveling. If I wanted to go on a hike I could see wearing these instead of the flip flops that is usually the only footwear I bring on trips.

Ok, I didn't get them for $70, but I did have a couple pair of different sizes arrive today and I am delighted. I'm a pretty exact 9, and with a 4E socks + my nicely fitting crushed neoprene socks, I fit pretty perfectly in a 10 Wide. I may also take the footbeds out as it adds a bit of room.

The thing I really love is they aren't too big that I can probably use them as normal footwear for traveling. If I wanted to go on a hike I could see wearing these instead of the flip flops that is usually the only footwear I bring on trips.
They're awesome in the water. I've had mine for a few months and they seem like they'll hold up for a long time. They look brand new.

Not sure I'd hike in them. Any "looseness" will equate to blisters.. better off getting dedicated shoes.. but that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom