Are Rock Boots necessary with neoprene socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I need some footwear for my new drysuit that has neoprene socks. It seems like most people I see are using Rock Boots (some Chucks). That feels like overkill for my needs. I'm mostly going to be boat diving. I really don't want to add the additional bulk of some chunky boots.

I was looking at Fourthelement Amphibians. Would they work for my needs?

I've had two suits with different types of soft socks. One was neoprene and my current suit is a nylon material. In both cases I have worn boots and I am absolutely certain I would have had leaks without the boots. Something as small as a pin hole is enough to soak your entire leg or more on a dive. I also don't think the neoprene socks alone will be sufficient to get a good grip on your fin straps. I've used the same cheap pair of Chuck Taylors for boots going on 20 years and highly recommend those or something similar in your case.

I agree that you'd want something protecting those socks. I put Chuck Taylors over mine. You can also use neoprene booties.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm asking... what can I put over them? I definitely wouldn't wear them with just the socks. Is there an argument to go full blown Rock Boot vs. neoprene booties? I guess the booties would add a bit of foot floatiness...

I have neoprene socks and I don't use rock boots unless I'm shore diving and have to walk over sharp rocks/barnacles.

No problems keeping my fins on

Yeah I guess that's what I'm asking... what can I put over them? I definitely wouldn't wear them with just the socks. Is there an argument to go full blown Rock Boot vs. neoprene booties? I guess the booties would add a bit of foot floatiness...
I really enjoy these. They're low cut like sneakers, but heavy duty grip. They were a little tight so I took the soles out and now they're perfect. I have a wide size 13 foot (but obviously they come in different sizes). I would look around, you can find better pricing. I've seen them for ~ $70 elsewhere.

I paired them up with bungee laces and once I set them I never really touched them again. Slip on, slip off but tight enough to not fall off. I make sure that as soon as my foot goes into the sock I put a boot on there to prevent any damage. Tons of colors to pick from too.

I paired them up with bungee laces and once I set them I never really touched them again. Slip on, slip off but tight enough to not fall off. I make sure that as soon as my foot goes into the sock I put a boot on there to prevent any damage. Tons of colors to pick from too.
Yeah I should have mentioned that easy donning and doffing is another goal. I really don't want to be struggling to tie shoes on a rocking boat when I'm all suited up in my drysuit.

I'll check out those Altimas... if I can find them cheap.

I wear hollis canvas boots. Very easy to don/doff. The lug on the back keeps fin straps in place. They're comfortable and easily accommodate thicker socks when it gets cold. I ordered my exact size and they're perfect. I have wide feet and these def accommodate them.

I once grabbed two fins out of my suv for a boat dive not realizing I had one large and one xl. Not until we were tied in to the wreck did I discover this. My otter suit (which is for sale cheap) has neoprene booties. I dived with one rockboot with the xl fin and one large fin on the neoprene sock. People laughed, I adjusted my kick, the dive went fine.
Made sure after that to always check which fins I was grabbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom