Drysuit boots vs socks: a slightly different question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True - hadn't even thought of it that way - 3(sock)+3mm(boot)=6mm (which happens to be the thickness of the current booties).

I've used both extensively and both have strong advantages over the other.

Socks are great because they are warmer, do not get air trapped in them (floaty), and you can easily change what you wear over them as it wears or it's uncomfortable. You can also pick a better protected and more comfortable shoe when going over rocks. I used Converse over mine and they were awesome (go up 2 to 2 1/2 sizes).

Boots are great because they are more roomy (never had them squeeze my toes uncomfortably), they don't take forever to dry (trialaminate suit), theyare easier to don especially on a rocking boat, and most importantly you can't forget your shoes.

Currently I have the softer boots that are somewhere between the two (rubber over neoprene) and have found those to work best overall for me. The only complaint with them is you feel what you are walking over.

Great question, Stuart. I was told Turbosoles/Flexsoles are the way to go for boats and caves--essentially, anything other than rocky shore entries. It never occurred to me that one could wear wetsuit booties over drysuit socks.

most importantly you can't forget your shoes.

Is that really a thing? I've seen a number of people post that same thing. I've never had a drysuit with socks. But, I've never forgotten my booties when diving wet. Is it really that common for people to forget their boots or booties when diving with a drysuit with socks?

Oh, and as far as using socks with rock boots over them and being comfy and not squeezing your toes: Isn't that really just a matter of finding rock boots that fit you right? Maybe get a half or one size bigger than you actually need?

Is that really a thing? I've seen a number of people post that same thing. I've never had a drysuit with socks. But, I've never forgotten my booties when diving wet. Is it really that common for people to forget their boots or booties when diving with a drysuit with socks?

Oh, and as far as using socks with rock boots over them and being comfy and not squeezing your toes: Isn't that really just a matter of finding rock boots that fit you right? Maybe get a half or one size bigger than you actually need?
It doesn't happen often, it still happens. And when it does its a huge irritant. I forgot mine twice in around 1,000 dives. And I've seen it happen a dozen or so times to others.

The squeeze comes from the neoprene sock itself, not the rock boot. I've found two types, one is essentially a small crease the other is the sock pulling in on your foot and overly "shrinkwrapping" it. Both really only seem to become noticeable at depth and really noticeable when you kick. I've also had them from the undergarment sock, though that was pretty rare.

I've had buddies forget wetsuit booties. They didn't forget to don, they forgot to pack in their wet bag, so when we geared up they had an oh crud moment. Lucky for them, an old pair of booties was in my SAD bag.

Seems like the scenario could play out the same way with any booties that aren't attached.

I've "saved" a buddy who forget his booties, too. It just doesn't seem like it would happen often enough to be a reason to view attached boots as a big Pro. Anyway, that's obviously all personal preference, so I'm not trying to argue. I was just curious how much you more experienced folks have actually seen it happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom