Drying Time Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrVegas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently diving a membrane drysuit, and I was just wondering what people's experiences were with differences in drying times between a standard laminate drysuit and a neoprene drysuit. Don't have immediate plans to buy something new, but was curious if there was a big difference.

One of the nicest things I have discovered diving dry and with a backplate is a large reduction in smelly wet neoprene in the car on the way home and dealing with wet stuff back at the house.

It depends, this time of year my trilam will be mostly dry to the touch in 30 minutes and completely by the next morning even when it get cold and rainy, don’t know if that will ever happen again. As Tbone says the neoprene will be more like a wetsuit and for me it’s usually the following evening before it drys completely.

I have a HangAir (wide hanger with a fan in it). Used it on my wetsuit and drysuit now. That takes of any dampness on the inside. Aim a turbo fan on the outside to get neoprene dry quickly.

Temperature, humidity, and airflow will be big factors as well.

Several weeks ago I made a road trip and wanted to get a dive in during that trip. I chose my drysuit over a wetsuit based on dry times. I toweled myself off before taking it off. Hung over the passenger seatback it was dry enough to put away in half a day. The last time I used the wetsuit it was a couple days and a lot smellier to dry hanging in my house in AZ (more favorable to dry). Unless the water is really warm, I find the drysuit more comfortable as well.

We keep a dehumidifier running in the garage in addition to hanger fans for our drysuits. Drying times are substantially quicker with the combination of the two.

Reactions: Cio
My compressed neoprene drysuit took way longer to dry than any wetsuit, even with a Hangaire, as there was no airflow at the feet. So, I made a dryer with some Whiffle softballs (which went into the boots), hoses and a brushless computer vent fan.

I have a HangAir (wide hanger with a fan in it). Used it on my wetsuit and drysuit now. That takes of any dampness on the inside. Aim a turbo fan on the outside to get neoprene dry quickly.

That is really cool. How bulky is it? Wondering if it would be good for traveling.

I made a dryer using a computer fan and PVC. 2 long sticks, about 7 feet long of 1½" and 90° elbows on the ends. U-shaped frame that sits on the floor (usually the tub to catch drips). The floor frame is glued, but the sticks that go into the feet are just slip fit. Put a T-fitting on the floor frame and put a floor drain on it. Computer fan attached to the drain. The fan is super quiet and very low airflow. But that doesn't really matter, it still drys great overnight. Really simple drysuit dryer using mostyl cheap PVC from Home Depot. But it does not travel. Way too bulky.

Trying to make something that would be travel friendly. Still won't pack well. Upper body shouldn't need much of a dryer. You can leave the suit unzipped, natural airflow will get the chest pretty easy. Even arms are not going to be an issue. What needs forced air is the feet. And by default that will blow through legs and out the torso. Computer fans are great gentle air movers. Quiet, but not a lot of force. The will not blow open a fold in the drysuit. You will also need a fairly large diameter tube to get the low pressure computer fan air through it. Knowing what I get out of my 1½" PVC, that would probably be a good size to look for in some flexible tubing. Maybe 1", but nothing smaller. Probably 2 small fans, one for each leg. That would be my plans for a travel drysuit dryer.

That is really cool. How bulky is it? Wondering if it would be good for traveling.

It’s not going to work for air travel. I have taken it with me as I travel by car.

Back
Top Bottom