Dryglove Liners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've made dives with a broken zipper in 46° water in British Columbia. Although uncomfortable, I never felt I was in danger. My Weezle undergarment kept me warm enough for an hour dive. I had a hole in a glove last year, causing water to slowly fill my sleeve. I still didn't abort the dive.
My Showa 720s usually last a couple hundred dives or more.

My experience with a flooded drysuit resulted from a cut neckseal. I was getting colder and colder and didn't want to abort the dive but eventually had to. By the time I got back to the Zodiac I was beginning to become hypothermic and another Zodiac had to be summoned to get me back to the ship. By the time I got there I was in full blown hypothermia and it took quite some time to get my body temperature back up. It was in 34 degree water in Eclipse Sound but I am sure that with a decent deco requirement you can get into serious trouble in somewhat warmer waters. It is not an experience that I would wish to repeat.

I love diving without them but wouldn't do so on a tech dive.. chances are slim, but why take it.

Agreed.

Wow, that's wild.. I get about a year.. which is anywhere from 35-45 dives, but then it's dependent on what I'm doing also. If mostly wrecks then spring leaks way faster.
I routinely get 100+ dives out of the showa 720 gloves. If you do get a pinpick just put a dap of superglue on the outside of the hole. It will be good to go for a dozen or so dives until you can swap it out.

I routinely get 100+ dives out of the showa 720 gloves. If you do get a pinpick just put a dap of superglue on the outside of the hole. It will be good to go for a dozen or so dives until you can swap it out.
Better than superglue is PVC pipe cement, it literally welds the cut back together. I switched to Marigold Industrial gloves, they are a lot thinner but remarkably resistant to cutting compared with the Showa at least with regard to Zebra mussels. They also provide better dexterity.

Better than superglue is PVC pipe cement, it literally welds the cut back together. I switched to Marigold Industrial gloves, they are a lot thinner but remarkably resistant to cutting compared with the Showa at least with regard to Zebra mussels. They also provide better dexterity.
Super glue dries in 5 minutes.

Haven't read all replies but here are my tricks for doing long cold dives.

Breakfast! Everything starts with a good breakfast and a good warm lunch. Proteins and fat. Eggs, bacon, avocado, OJ, bread and butter. Your body needs fuel to keep warm.

To keep extremities warm, they need bloodflow, AND that the flowing blood is warm. IE; keeping the core warm is significant when trying to keep extremities warm. Cold hands might be first sign that you are actually slowly cooling down and the body is compensating by constricting periferal capillaries, leading to even colder hands. SO... More clothes on the body. Use wool. Don't ever use cotton! Find your inner sheep!

Make sure you either have a properly cut cuff/cuff seal that will not constrict around your wrist, or that you use a decent ring-system on your suit.
Wear properly fitting gloves. If the fingers on the glove are "springy" they can constrict bloodflow and fingers feel cold.

Keep head warm. While the myth about most heatloss coming from the head is debunked in normal cases, diving a drysuit we normally use neoprene hoods that will cause heatloss from head/neck area.

However... Exept for the point about wristseals and gloves being circularly constricting, proper food is the biggest factor for keeping warm form me.

Went ahead and ordered the "Ragg Wool" liners (as suggested) from Amazon for $18. They feel really dense compared to any other liner that I have. I have to wait for the XL to come in as the L weren't big enough for my hands... not sure how that'll feel shoved in the 2XL Showa 720's. Worst case scenario I'll wear them around the house and get them to stretch some.

1st impression is that these might do the trick. They feel really heavy / thick compare to the yellow liners I was using.... man I hope this is a game changer!

I use the Ragg wool liners in XL 720s with no problems. They're a bit snug, but I still have full dexterity.

I use the Ragg wool liners in XL 720s with no problems. They're a bit snug, but I still have full dexterity.

Do you wear L or XL Ragg's?

I think I'll be fine. In the beginning dexterity meant a lot more than it does now.. There's not a lot you can't do with "mittens" once you get used to it I guess. Now I'm on a quest for warmth, lol. I think these should work great... I really don't know why I thought the yellow liners should have worked in sub 50f water.. they're like 1/2 the density of these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom