dry suit socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I wanted to get some warm socks to wear in my dry suit boots but I can't seem to find anything decent around here. I found a pair of Fleece-socks at an outdoors shop here but they were rather expensive. Are there Thinsulate socks as well or what do you recommend? Maybe if you could tell me some brands that make these kinds of products it'll be easier to find something here in Sweden (Stockholm).

Thanks

/C

For the winter do two layers. On the inside wear a polypropylene or polyester sock that will wick any moisture away from your foot. Polypropylene works better. On the outside wear thinsulate or wool for insulation.

R..

I have also used fleece lined neoprene socks designed for use in hip waders. They tend to be inexpensive if bought at the local wal-mart.

But normally I just wear a regular pair of socks and have no problem with cold feet in my drysuit even when ice diving. As long as the rest of you stays warm, your body won't reduce the curculation to your feet and they will stay warm without lots of insulation.

What DA said. I thought about getting a fancy pair of thinsulate booties, but then basically came to the conclusion that a thick wool sock works just fine. If it's really cold, thin polypropylene socks underneath are a good idea.

Now, some of you in the Southern States may have an issue finding 'thick wool socks.' I mean, the kind that are close to an inch thick and made of 100% wool... you don't want cotton underwater.

Total cost - $8.

I bought my wool socks at Wal-Mart in the Hunting section for ~$8.00. My feet have never been cold. The coldest water I have dove in was 42F. THere has to be some sort of discount store in Sweden....

I use a pair of wool/polypro blend hiking socks ... they're warm and work great. I got mine at SportCo for about $7.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have always used fleece socks with no problems but went thinsulate this time around. I should get to use them in about 4-6weeks when my drysuit and undergarment are made.

Back
Top Bottom