Dry suit dump valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

addohm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I got a new dry suit from seal and disappointingly it has a small leak at the dump valve. I should probably send it to them to deal with but that would mean no diving for at least a month. Here's the description and steps I've taken...

Only left arm below the shoulder gets wet. Its not sopping wet, just damp. I've only taken this particular suit down to 35 meters. I've tried doing complete dives with the valve fully closed. I've also tried doing complete dives with the valve partially closed. There was no difference. I've tried torquing the valve down as much as I can without breaking it and the rate of ingress was reduced but not eliminated. I've spoken with one of my old instructors who also repairs dry suits and he recommended using aquaseal. He's since been unreachable as he's out of the country

My question becomes this: how do you apply it? Do you goop it on and tighten the valve down on it while it's wet? If so that seems sketchy if ever I have to replace the valve. Do I put a bead around the cut out of the suit and wait for it to dry before putting the valve back on? Do I just brush a thin coat on? What's the play here?

Thanks! 🙏

Do you dive with a slight squeeze in your suit? And what brand/type valve is it?

I got a new dry suit from seal and disappointingly it has a small leak at the dump valve. I should probably send it to them to deal with but that would mean no diving for at least a month. Here's the description and steps I've taken...

Only left arm below the shoulder gets wet. Its not sopping wet, just damp. I've only taken this particular suit down to 35 meters. I've tried doing complete dives with the valve fully closed. I've also tried doing complete dives with the valve partially closed. There was no difference. I've tried torquing the valve down as much as I can without breaking it and the rate of ingress was reduced but not eliminated. I've spoken with one of my old instructors who also repairs dry suits and he recommended using aquaseal. He's since been unreachable as he's out of the country

My question becomes this: how do you apply it? Do you goop it on and tighten the valve down on it while it's wet? If so that seems sketchy if ever I have to replace the valve. Do I put a bead around the cut out of the suit and wait for it to dry before putting the valve back on? Do I just brush a thin coat on? What's the play here?

Thanks! 🙏
Which drysuit dump valve is it? Do you have another suit that you can swap dump valves with to compare?

I’m guessing aquseal isn’t the answer. If you happened to do a leak test, you’d be able to verify that part. If it holes and isn’t leaking from around the valve or at the point the base of the valve hits the suit, then it’s the dump itself.

What brand valves are on the suit? Some valves have a tendency to leak slightly when fully open. But since you tightened it against the suit and that seemed to help some, my guess is that it just isn’t seated properly against the suit and that there’s a slight wrinkle or crimp in the fabric where the valve seats. I’d try removing it and reinstalling it, tightening it up snugly, and then check for leaks.

This could easily be a dirty mushroom valve in the dump. They are pretty easy to disassemble and clean the mushroom valve with q-tips. Plenty of youtube tutorials out there.

If you aquaseal that valve on, it will not come off unless it is cut off at high risk to the suit. This will stop you from every cleaning the dump in the future. If the base is leaking, RTV silicone is the preferred sealant but it is very easy to use too much and get it into the inner workings of the dump valve.

If you are in MA, almost any dive shop should be able to give you better advice and inspect the valve.

You may regret using a sealant (RTV as Asher102) because having the ability to take off the valve and clean it fully in the future is a big benefit. I suggest doing a quick tear down and rebuild. Not too hard if you follow along on a YouTube video

Also - Getting a new valve might be worth it even if you just put it in your save a dive kit. I bring a back-up dump valve with me when I go cave diving as I seem to get grit in there and allows me to swap / clean / dive on my own schedule.

You may regret using a sealant (RTV as Asher102) because having the ability to take off the valve and clean it fully in the future is a big benefit. I suggest doing a quick tear down and rebuild. Not too hard if you follow along on a YouTube video

Also - Getting a new valve might be worth it even if you just put it in your save a dive kit. I bring a back-up dump valve with me when I go cave diving as I seem to get grit in there and allows me to swap / clean / dive on my own schedule.
I agree with Comm, but I would extend that sealant can be used in extreme circumstances (ie issues with the suit and/or sealing surface).

@addohm What brand is the suit? Is there a dealer nearby?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom