dry suit DUI vs Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - I have finally managed to place a 1/2" long tear in the outer skin of my Fusion Tech skin. (This took upwards of 800 dives)

Wow James,

I don't which is more unbelievable - The fact that you've managed to put 800+ dives on suit that's only been on the market a couple years...or that a panty hose covered hefty bag has held up for that long ;-) I won't even mention that it looks like something those emo kids would wear ;-)

To the OP,

I guess I'm in the minority. I've had pretty good experiences with the DUI suits that I've owned over the years.

The one exception being my first TLS350 which I bought used on e-bay because I mistakenly equated low price with value ... big mistake ! That suit has beat and had a poorly installed p-valve that was a constant source of leaks the entire time I owned it. That suit also had the classic style zip which, while easier to don/doff, was also more susceptible to wear due to the contact point with harness.

My 2nd TLS350 has also an e-bay special but it was brand spanking new when I purchased it. It is a stock medium...which happens to be a good but not perfect fit on me. I am disproportionately larger in the upper body and upper legs...which unfortunately results in extra stress in the crotch and armpit areas. I did have some early tears in the aquaseal around the crotch seam area which were easily and permanently addressed with a new coat of same.

I've since put this suit through the ringer including 200+ dives in the first 9 months of service alone. My local dive sites consist of shallow surgey urchin covered rocky reefs with tight cracks and crevices that are routinely challenged. Yes, I get the occasional urchin puncture (5-6 in a 3 year period) ...all have been 100% deserved. These are also trivial to find and fix. Given what I put my suits through, my overall experience has been positive. So much so that I'm finally breaking down and throwing some cash bonus money at properly fitting TLS350.

More notably, my other experience with DUI ownership has been with my kid's suits. A new CLX450 with ~70 dives over 2 years (before he out grew it) ...and recently a TLS350 with ~50 dives over the past 1 year. All 100% dry dives. He's a poster child for "Why I love my DUI" ... one day I'll actually get around to writing the article and sending the pics of him over the years.

No matter which brand you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy. Diving dry will undoubtedly have a huge positive impact in your current diving. Dive safe ..and dry :)

Last edited:
I have DUI CLX 450 and a TLS 350. I dive Monterey (cold, surge,kelp, rocks, beach dives) Never a leak or tear. I have experienced very good customer service with DUI.

Drysuit exhaust valves are not made by drysuit manufactures. Apex, SI-tech are two manufactures.

Zippers are made by BDM, YKK.

Seals if cut correctly and donned correctly do seal properly.

Bare, Whites, DUI,Viking,USIA, etc. all make good suits.

It is a personal choice. Just buy what you like.

Which undergarment were you not thrilled with? Just curious because I'm getting a demo Whites Mk2 undergarment with my demo Fusion suit, but sizes were limited so I may end up returning the Mk2. Which Fourth Element pieces did you settle on?

BTW, I'm in Ventura too.

I had the one piece MK2, which was fine as far as keeping warm, but the fit wasn't ideal and there was too much extra material. The Fourth Element undergarments are tighter fitting and the lack of bulk makes the Fusion suit fit much better. I have the entire Fourth Element series to cover diving from warm Florida caves to high altitude lakes (love that snow melt). On an average dive in California, I use two layers of undergarments, which for the balmy temperatures we had this "summer", I was comfortable with the Drybase and Xerotherm combination down to 48F. Fourth Element has a website that provides guidance on what layers to wear as a function of temperature:

Undersuit Layering Guide : Fourth Element

I noticed that Whites is now selling a similar looking undergarment, with much less bulk than the MK2.

You're in Ventura too? Impossible. I thought I was the only diver that lived in Bakersfield-by-the-Sea.

I guess I'll chime in just to bump the tally. I have a Fusion Bullet w/Mk2 undergarment. Only 4 dives on it so far, but; planning some more this weekend. It is the only DS I've owned or dived, so my opinion on comparisons is squat. I can report that I have not taken a drysuit course and as stated never dived dry until I received my Fusion. With that said; my observations were: It was rather easy to don (not any harder than my 5mm wetsuit), felt about the same as wearing my 5mm (flexibility, comfort, fit, etc.). Diving required more weight obviously, but it didn't pose any issues, the bubble management wasn't an issue whatsoever (I finned around head down/feet up for awhile just to test/experience the feeling and had zero issue trimming back out). If anything, you have to work at getting the bubble to move around quicker than you can manage. It was definitely warm and DRY! The seals were dry on the inside when I doffed it after my dives, other than sweat/moisture. All of this should be taken for what it's worth as it could be pure blind luck of a newbie for all I know. :idk: All 4 dives were identical though and it was a pure joy to dive it. Emo must be in around here, because all the DUI guys were checking it out and commented on its great look! :D
IMG009.jpg
Jax, I'm sure you'll love the pink weight I'm wearing, but it was the only weights that were left over. Some Emo got all the black and gray ones. :rofl3:

Does any one know about ScubaPro having a Whites dry suit? I sort of remember reading somewhere on the board that ScubaPro had one that was Whites, but they won't be marketing it any more? Just thinking out loud.

I heard that they teamed up with Whites in Europe. I was just at DEMA and ScubaPro will be offering a 4mm Neoprene & Trilaminate (similar to D.U.I. Flex Extreme material) drysuits here in the U.S. and at a reasonable price. I believe that the Trilaminate (rock boot style) w/2 pockets will be around $1499.

Others to look at for 2011:
Bare will also have a Trilaminate similar (crotch strap design) to D.U.I. at around $1400

Bare is also launching a Trilaminate Stretch suit that looks pretty cool as well. i think that this will start at around $2100.

Waterproof Trilaminate suits looked pretty sharp as well. I look forward to getting in some test dives in the next few months. It fit well, had pockets and a nice, insulated, sleek, attached boot that wasn't big and bulky like most others.

As for me, I've been diving dry since 1996. I racked up almost 40 dives in the Fushion and I'll take my D.U.I. Flex Extreme any day of the week. The Fusion kept me dry but out of the water it was annoying getting into, the skin is constantly falling down and the pockets are small. Just not my cup of tea after all these years in a Trilaminate Drysuit.

I'll try to post as I get the opportunity to test out some other suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom