dry suit DUI vs Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I see it is dry suit opionions are pretty subjective. I personally dive CF200 second suit first was a custom fit 1981 (no such thing as signature) 1200 + dives one leak from a puncture while retrieving a victim from a tore up vehicle. Second suit stock model 2003 no leaks no tears, punctures or rips. I guess I am lucky my dive buddies use everything from Viking, Baley, and DUI's.

The subjective part is Apek valves are Apek valves which are on a wide variety of suits. Drysuit zippers mostly are not made by the drysuit companies and construction is based on pretty much the same patent thanks to our friends at NASA where they were developed way back when. If a neck seal or wrist seal is not measured right you will leak regardless of the suit manufacturer.

In closing a lot of good opinions and options have been thrown out, but for the expense just take your time and dive a few different models see what you like the best.

The way I see it is dry suit opionions are pretty subjective. I personally dive CF200 second suit first was a custom fit 1981 (no such thing as signature) 1200 + dives one leak from a puncture while retrieving a victim from a tore up vehicle. Second suit stock model 2003 no leaks no tears, punctures or rips. I guess I am lucky my dive buddies use everything from Viking, Baley, and DUI's.

The subjective part is Apek valves are Apek valves which are on a wide variety of suits. Drysuit zippers mostly are not made by the drysuit companies and construction is based on pretty much the same patent thanks to our friends at NASA where they were developed way back when. If a neck seal or wrist seal is not measured right you will leak regardless of the suit manufacturer.

In closing a lot of good opinions and options have been thrown out, but for the expense just take your time and dive a few different models see what you like the best.

True, drysuit fit and function are subjective by the individual, but reports of leaks, tears, having to send the suit back are not subjective.

Gather enough opinions and you begin to form one of your own . . .

Jax: Agreed- My only two points are- so many of the suits use the same manufacturer i.e.valves zippers. Second - For the expense with so many people having differing opinions take the time and use models that are out there to see what better suits yourself, can't hardly go wrong there.

You see, I hear stories like yours, too. Signature series is custom, is it not?

Some of the people get their suits, they leak, they don't fit right, and they have to send it back over and over and over. There's a constant theme of "all DUI leaks". Then I hear a few good news stories. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to good or crap; it's not a certain store, it's not a certain region, it's nothing that can be traced.

Yes, the Signature Series is custom.

This is only a guess, but I might suggest that the "problem" with DUI suits is not with DUI itself, but with its retailers? If your suit doesn't fit right, or leaks, a shop might be tempted to tell you that DUI won't/can't fix it because the expense of shipping the unit to DUI is borne by the shop? This stands in opposition to large-volume sellers such as Bare, where the shop is getting new product in every week. Shipping to/from Bare is going to be going on all the time, so throwing your suit in with a shipment is relatively cheaper.

Just an idea.

I have a White's Fusion (tech Skin) and while I have only been diving it about 2 weeks I have managed to stay dry. I bought Fusion Boots with initial purchase but also bought a pair of OTB Boots online even before the suit arrived because of many threads I read here. OTB had discontinued the model of the pair I bought and I got them on closeout for about $45. Probably the BEST part of my Dry Suit purchase! I have also seen others using the Chuck Taylor's.

Suit seems very easy to don (alone) and my ONLY complaint so far, is the wrist seals and the outer flap covering them seem to bunch up horribly around my wrists making it hard to don/locate watch or gloves. May be more a function on arm length than anything else?

Last edited:
Yes, the Signature Series is custom.

This is only a guess, but I might suggest that the "problem" with DUI suits is not with DUI itself, but with its retailers? If your suit doesn't fit right, or leaks, a shop might be tempted to tell you that DUI won't/can't fix it because the expense of shipping the unit to DUI is borne by the shop? This stands in opposition to large-volume sellers such as Bare, where the shop is getting new product in every week. Shipping to/from Bare is going to be going on all the time, so throwing your suit in with a shipment is relatively cheaper.

Just an idea.

In one particular case, the individual was measured by DUI itself at a "DOG day". The suit fit poorly, and she brought it to the same person that measured her, and that person recognized it as poorly fitting. It was sent to be modified, and it still wasn't right. Finally, DUI sent her a whole new suit. Good customer service - yeah, okay, but for $3k, I expect it right the first time.

Then I see threads like this, and I am really turned off. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dui/351680-really-really-unhappy-dui.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dui/328943-tls-350-signature-fitting-issue-2.html

The "large volume" shipping has no dog in this fight . . . I'm in AZ, and there isn't large volume anything scuba. :wink:

There's an awful lot of stories like yours . . . how old are your DUIs, please?

Thankfully I bought both of mine used (at "can't pass it up" prices). The TLS, I believe, was originally purchased in 2002 and used once in a pool, once in open water, and then spent the next seven years unused, but cared for. The TLS may be one of the ones that has issues with leaking through the seams or something....my entire undergarment is usually mildly wet, but not saturated (that is, until the zipper started going, and now it just pumps water in and even Thinsulate cannot help!).

The CF is at least as old as the TLS, but likely older. The zipper went on that and I got it replaced....it's no longer pumping water into me, but is like the TLS used to be, in that my outer layer is damp, but I'm not feeling it.

Seriously wishing I could get a Fusion and be dry :D

Thankfully I bought both of mine used (at "can't pass it up" prices). The TLS, I believe, was originally purchased in 2002 and used once in a pool, once in open water, and then spent the next seven years unused, but cared for. The TLS may be one of the ones that has issues with leaking through the seams or something....my entire undergarment is usually mildly wet, but not saturated (that is, until the zipper started going, and now it just pumps water in and even Thinsulate cannot help!).

The CF is at least as old as the TLS, but likely older. The zipper went on that and I got it replaced....it's no longer pumping water into me, but is like the TLS used to be, in that my outer layer is damp, but I'm not feeling it.

Seriously wishing I could get a Fusion and be dry :D

Could any of that be humidity condensing inside the suit? (I know NOTHING about drysuits but the pablum the manufacturers feed you.)

Have you consider Steve Gamble? I understand he works miracles.

I started diving dry suits in the mid-70's. Worked my way through the usual suspects - SuperSuit, Unisuit, Jetsuit, etc.

The last iteration was a DUI CF200, followed by a Fusion.

"Dry Until Immersed" is about as accurate as can be. Not to mention very...lackluster...support from the factory. As for the Whites, my Fusion is still dry as a bone after 800+ dives, original seals and zipper.

All the best, James

PS - I read somewhere, DIRexplorers I think?, a pretty good summary that I found myself nodding my head because it matched my experience. Essentially, it said to get a DUI if you wanted it to work well on shore, and, a Fusion if you wanted it to work well in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom