dry suit DUI vs Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving dry suits in the mid-70's. Worked my way through the usual suspects - SuperSuit, Unisuit, Jetsuit, etc.

The last iteration was a DUI CF200, followed by a Fusion.

"Dry Until Immersed" is about as accurate as can be. Not to mention very...lackluster...support from the factory. As for the Whites, my Fusion is still dry as a bone after 800+ dives, original seals and zipper.

All the best, James

PS - I read somewhere, DIRexplorers I think?, a pretty good summary that I found myself nodding my head because it matched my experience. Essentially, it said to get a DUI if you wanted it to work well on shore, and, a Fusion if you wanted it to work well in the water.

:thumb:

Awesome! That is very helpful!!!!

I was in the same situation as you back in Dec/January. I was up against a DUI or Fusion. I had actually written the Fusion off but after trying out every drysuit I could I decided to "humor" the Fusion paying lip service when I put it on, writing a check when I took it off.

The Fusion was so much more flexible than the others and I liked how it felt tho donning it is funky. I was worried I would need 30 dives to become proficient with the drysuit (I had an upcoming class I didn't want to fail because of it or take it wetsuit in the cold of winter). I had a slip up the first 5 minutes of my first dive and after that the DS was natural to me, no problems at all. I'd say on my first dive I was proficient with the DS, holding stops and all, even better than in my wetsuit.

After dive #60 on the Fusion I used a buddies TLS 350 and had all kinds of issues managing the bubble and so on, quickly returned to the Fusion. So the learning curve (in my case at least) was far less on the Fusion than would be on the DUI.

If you get a chance to take a drysuit class than rent the different drysuits I'd recommend doing that otherwise don't discount the Fusion so quickly. I'm about to foray into Tech1 and soon after Tech2 and I'm using the Fusion. For me, it's an outstanding choice and I'm glad I made it.

Haven't had a DUI since the 80's so no idea how they are now- it was a good suit back then.

The fusion is the most flexible suit I've ever had (I've had a half dozen) and the learning curve should be a bit less- no real bubble moving around to speak of.

I was in the same situation as you back in Dec/January. I was up against a DUI or Fusion. I had actually written the Fusion off but after trying out every drysuit I could I decided to "humor" the Fusion paying lip service when I put it on, writing a check when I took it off.

The Fusion was so much more flexible than the others and I liked how it felt tho donning it is funky. I was worried I would need 30 dives to become proficient with the drysuit (I had an upcoming class I didn't want to fail because of it or take it wetsuit in the cold of winter). I had a slip up the first 5 minutes of my first dive and after that the DS was natural to me, no problems at all. I'd say on my first dive I was proficient with the DS, holding stops and all, even better than in my wetsuit.

After dive #60 on the Fusion I used a buddies TLS 350 and had all kinds of issues managing the bubble and so on, quickly returned to the Fusion. So the learning curve (in my case at least) was far less on the Fusion than would be on the DUI.

If you get a chance to take a drysuit class than rent the different drysuits I'd recommend doing that otherwise don't discount the Fusion so quickly. I'm about to foray into Tech1 and soon after Tech2 and I'm using the Fusion. For me, it's an outstanding choice and I'm glad I made it.

TC:
Haven't had a DUI since the 80's so no idea how they are now- it was a good suit back then.

The fusion is the most flexible suit I've ever had (I've had a half dozen) and the learning curve should be a bit less- no real bubble moving around to speak of.

Y'all rock! Thank you! :thumb:

Any durability issues?

This has turned into a very informative post. From the suits themselves to boots, gloves, and neck seals.

So I went back tallied up the different suits and people have:
Total of 15 people so far with drysuits, 20 total suits, 2 respondents have 3 suits, 1 respondent has 2 suits.
Seasoft 1
Bare XCD2 (crushed neo) 1
DUI TLS350 3
DUI CF200 2
Fusion 9
Fusion Bullet 1
Fusion Tech 2
Fusion Tech LE 1
Fusion folks 13, DUI's 5 and other suits 2.
I do not know if Fusion distinguishes between skins as one poster mentioned, but it is apparent from those who weighed in here that Fusion is the way to go.

Thanks Rainer and LigersandTions I am glad I put that out there so that someone else will learn that trilam is "not all that". Thanks to everyone else for weighing in. It is very easy to leave a shop thinking that you will be diving the next best thing since regulator was invented only to end listing it in the "Things I wish I never bought" thread.

Does any one know about ScubaPro having a Whites dry suit? I sort of remember reading somewhere on the board that ScubaPro had one that was Whites, but they won't be marketing it any more? Just thinking out loud.

Y'all rock! Thank you! :thumb:

Any durability issues?

Yes - I have finally managed to place a 1/2" long tear in the outer skin of my Fusion Tech skin. (This took upwards of 800 dives)

To inflict this tear, I scootered at speed 7 on a Cuda through a gap between two rocks, and snagged my right upper arm on a sharp rock. The ensuing snag twisted me around and stopped me...I was expecting a flood of cold water...which never came. So I shrugged and we scootered off to do our deco.

On the surface, I took a good look, and found the small 1/2" tear in the outer skin. The inner bladder was untouched, not even a mark. This was in the beginning of September, and about 30 dives ago - I still haven't fixed the tear in the Lycra, and you have to look for it to find it.

I guess what I'm saying is that the double-layer system is waaay more durable than it looks, if anything, it's been a lack of issues concerning durability.

All the best, James

Yes - I have finally managed to place a 1/2" long tear in the outer skin of my Fusion Tech skin. (This took upwards of 800 dives)

To inflict this tear, I scootered at speed 7 on a Cuda through a gap between two rocks, and snagged my right upper arm on a sharp rock. The ensuing snag twisted me around and stopped me...I was expecting a flood of cold water...which never came. So I shrugged and we scootered off to do our deco.

On the surface, I took a good look, and found the small 1/2" tear in the outer skin. The inner bladder was untouched, not even a mark. This was in the beginning of September, and about 30 dives ago - I still haven't fixed the tear in the Lycra, and you have to look for it to find it.

I guess what I'm saying is that the double-layer system is waaay more durable than it looks, if anything, it's been a lack of issues concerning durability.

All the best, James

James, thanks! :hugs:

:thumb:

Add a White's Nexus for me. Nice suit, not too difficult to use but have only had 20 dives or so on it. Where I am from even renting a suit to try isn't available so I had to find a suit that fit my needs as well as my budget. When I first tried it the inflator valve leaked, sent it back to be repaired and haven't had any issues since. I was told it was a gasket that wasn't centered.

Back
Top Bottom