dry glove question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r2t

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see a lot of divers with the dry cuff ring that they stretch a rubber glove over to have dry gloves. Does anyone know if the rings work with neoprene seals? If they do where can I purchase the rings and about how much are they?

If I understand your question, I'd say it will as long as you have the right size spanner ring. Try to find someone who already has them and try it. If you're talking about the ones I think you are, they're removable, so...

Cheers,

DC

I don't like to discourage the pioneer spirit in anyone but I don't think the rings will work with neoprene seals. Latex seals are thinner and more elastic than neoprene seals. The rings need to fit precisely together in order to work, I think you'll find that neoprene is too thick. I also suspect that neoprene will tear before it stretches into the somewhat convoluted shape needed for the ring system to work.

I've tried it, and you can get it to work, but it really destroys your neoprene seals and stretches the hell out of them, which I believe would lead to leakage along the glued seam. I have seen various home riged options using PVC pipe and electrical tape that seem to work better on neoprene seals.

I ended up having latex seals put on my suit. such is life.

Thanks for the help. I may just end up buying a new suit with latex seals and cuff rings. the old suit is over 6 years old and time to retire, more of a semi dry suit now.

Ron

The rings that you are thinking of are the old style viking rings. I use these rings and have used the si-tech and skaana styles in the past. The viking rings are my favorite and the skaana's are my second choice. I found the si-tech ones were the most difficult to get on and off and most prone to leak.

I have used both the skaana's and vikings over neoprene seals and they work fine. They do tend to overstrech the neoprene so if you were to remove the rings (who knows why) the seal will be permently deformed, but can be replaced. I know of a shop in Nanaimo that sells these viking rings for about $75 and you can use marigold dish gloves with them. I bought mine used for about $40.

I think the skaana and si-tech are between $150 and $200 last time i looked.

cheers,

warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom